Nu Fusion/Jazz?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a feeling this will be a lonely post.

I have no idea how to categorize this track?

I would appreciate your candid thoughts-good or bad.

ADRIFT

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Testing% ... w=76f0062d
http://chucksilva.bandcamp.com/track/adrift
Last edited by any1particular on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Not that lonely,

Genre: Dubstep

Sub Genre :Dubstep/Jazz Fusion

Sounded very 80's(almost George Benson) meets Dubstep but in a good way, actually sounds more inspiring/better than alot of dubstep I've heard recently!

Good Sounds, Good Production, well done IMO!

You should send this off to some top dubstep labels! I can see this getting signed!

breakmixer wrote:Not that lonely,

Sounded very 80's(almost George Benson) meets Dubstep but in a good way, actually sounds more inspiring/better than alot of dubstep I've heard recently!

You should send this off to some top dubstep labels! I can see this getting signed!
What a lovely complement breakmixer-made my day!

Yeah. I completely agree-I'm am verrrry interested in dubstep but like so much electronica-it's just toooooo repetitive for my ears and ADD self. It's great if you're on the dance floor but to just sit and listen?

And so that was exactly what I was hoping to do-combine elements of Dubstep with a bit more form than usual and some 'real' instrumentation.

Cool Man-thanks again!

any1particular wrote:
breakmixer wrote:Not that lonely,

What a lovely complement breakmixer-made my day!

Yeah. I completely agree-I'm am verrrry interested in dubstep but like so much electronica-it's just toooooo repetitive for my ears and ADD self. It's great if you're on the dance floor but to just sit and listen?

And so that was exactly what I was hoping to do-combine elements of Dubstep with a bit more form than usual and some 'real' instrumentation.

Cool Man-thanks again!
No problem, I sometimes hear demo's and think, that sounds like it's done with VSTi's so don't comment as I have nothing good to say, just move on, rarely do I hear something this unique, yes it's dubstep but it has soul and it doesn't sound like a computer production-sound very good, I like Breakbeat/Electro Funk but also like Jazz/Jazz Fusion/Soul so this appealed to me, Top marks, get it signed! :wink:

You could do an album like this BTW, Nu Jazz, Dubjazz( :!: ) etc, I'm sure you've hit a niche with this that would have a market...

The 'dubstep' label always confuses me. But here, while your intro may have rhythmic elements of dubstep, I think the track fits comfortably in the nu jazz/jazz fusion/jazz categories.

FWIW, I think it's a great track. Musically very interesting, yet accessible at the same time.

Top notch production as well. I would buy this.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

i just say.. you touch my heart with this.. no comment :X ! :tu:

This is excellent. Genre? Not sure. Maybe Acid Jazz? Nice latin Al di Meolaesque vibe worked into the electronica. What were you using for that guitar?

this sounds cool, lots of unpredictability, some big sounds, and choice guitar playing. Certainly seems like nu jazz to me. Like the tail off, and back into it thing, a great jam feel.

totally Jean-Luc Pontyesque! is that a yamaha silent string in the beginning? make it in a crazy fast tempo and the kids will love it too.

Hmmm...Ronny Jordan meets Mr. Oizo?? :hihi:
Or maybe not! Your guitar work is excellent, but I do miss a bit more soloing from you, but I pretty much always do that. That said, I love the way you intervene with the Benson type sound and the more overdriven one (reminded me of a combination of British guitarist Tony Remy with a bit of Daryl Stuermer on top) for each part of the melody. Great arrangement too with lots of evolving rhythms and layers of sound.
Quality use of effects as well.

I do have problems with the bass synth sound though (as opposed to everyone else who has replied here so far. I would have gone for a more moog-ish kinda sound, but obviously that would have taken the track in a different direction, and I reckon that wasn't really your intention. I also miss more soloing from you, but I pretty much always do that. :wink:
Fine work as always, but this isn't my favorite track of your's :( That doesn't mean I don't like it. Imo it's still head & shoulders above the majority of tracks featured here in the music café! :)

Finally managed to get it downloaded. I LOVE it!!! All I can say is that I'm a fan. :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

This is excellent! I thought that there was a bit too much compression in the beginning, especially when the guitar playing the arpeggios comes in, but I didn't notice it by the middle of the song. Great stuff!

More like if Medeski Martin Wood jammed with Sound Tribe Sector 9 and throw in the funk of Soulive with Bass Nectar doing his crazy dubstep drum and bass stuff. I don't know what to call it but your stuff always explores lots of areas and is sounds pretty original.

Always like hearing a new track from you.

Very nice and interesting tune. Even with all that squelcihg and banging around taking place, which I like, there's a sweet romantic tinge to your playing. It's like past meeets present amd they manage to subsist quite nicely together. My only criticism is that at the beginning I think you need to tone down the highs a bit. But very well done.

Ciao!

Sounds great. Really like the guitar (?). Not my favorite genre but this is as good as it gets. At times I thought the lead instruments might have been a little loud.

Return to “Music Cafe”