ITB Magic? (mini review)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, its not common that I have the "Eureka!" moment when inserted a plug-in and suddenly problems are solved or things sound exactly how I want...and never thought something could work for everything, specially for mastering.

I've been testing this new release till now as soon as I got the demo and wrote positive comments here before.There's enough info on site+manual so I'm not going to get into detail but if you want to try for yourself;

http://www.acustica-audio. com/

http://transcendingmusicstudios. com/nebuladistortion.html

You can first listen audio demo's and later if you like, download Nebula free and then the demo library from the site (there is no time limit for any of them). Till now I tested only for mastering (mostly electronica and also rock genre) needs but enough audio demo's are provided to get the picture.

Demo: Same quality with commercial but limited bias and drive amounts.

What I liked was boosting the controls+balancing levels and noticed a very special glue thats not similar to anything I tried itb before.

When inserted, I noticed tracks didn't need as much eq'ing and when loudness is required it worked great right before a compressor sort of plug-in (compressor, limiter or even clipper). To get more of that magic, more instances can be inserted but always leave some headroom.

Commercial: With commercial version you get a second color preset and demo preset controls go up to 9 db.

More control brings more possibility's. Maybe some have read Bob Katz's book and remember the compressor+expander trick, similar effect (yes, with VCult coloration!) can be achieved with the right settings but its not limited to that.

On my tests I noticed it can bring back or add dynamics in a very fast but still musical way, it can bring focus/save vocals that's level is lower than ideal (and that's something not easy to do with other tools), bring back punch either in micro dynamic or section beginnings of songs, widen very good when inserted to S (like in m/s), add some musical gain, glue alone or with compressor (insert compressor after it)...Really, its a Swiss army knife that only needs adjustment total of 5 sliders (3 with P6 preset, including in-out gain sliders).

I highly recommend it for people who master their own tracks since it brings nice balance and minimizes the need of eq, actually I got very good results together with freeware like Melda plug-ins or SonEQ.

The developer also has a product called "so transcited" at his website. From what I hear when using, (though un-sure) it helps correcting the fletcher-munson effect which usually is responsible for mixes not to translate to the real world. That also has a demo with limited settings but keep in mind adding a deesser (the freeware spitfish usually works fine) after it or high-cut with eq might be needed. Together with VCult, they work nice together.

Using it with vsti's or recordings is a different story, listen the audio files to have a clue :wink:
Last edited by Cooker on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Welcome to the world of Nebula :)

DELETED

The tonal changes with it are really fantastic (demo), but i think i've heard a little decrease of stereo width with high gain ? could be wrong...but if you use this only on sideband (ddmf metaplug), tweak the gain knob :)

guppi wrote:The tonal changes with it are really fantastic (demo), but i think i've heard a little decrease of stereo width with high gain ? could be wrong...but if you use this only on sideband (ddmf metaplug), tweak the gain knob :)
I also noticed that and I think its related to the M signal (in 99% of music) has more dynamic activity (since dynamics are improved with it) than the stereo channel, just increase side gain with m/s processor or again with VCult.

You'll notice then actually the stereo field isn't narrowed, its just like a gain drop related to dynamic improvement which is corrected easily.

this is indeed a great program,i have actually started using nebula for all my eq and saturation needs,and therefor have sold all the plugins i used to use before i had nebula.

its just amazing

will check out the "so transcited" program too

This "narrowing" thing seems weird to me and nothing I've ever experienced with saturation in general. Saturation will usually emphasize lower elements like compression.
Less loud, panned elements and ambiances mostly get pushed up and thus are more audible (on the sides).

But before I make a fool of myself, i will check this with VCult tomorrow, with fresh ears and monitors.

:wink:

Return to “Effects”