3am - portions (wall o' geetar noise)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hesitate to call this done but I've gotten as far as I can at the moment. Really, I just wanted to record something and share it since I haven't for a while.

http://www.3amnoise.net/portions.mp3
http://soundcloud.com/justin3am/portions

It gets pretty repetitive, at least compared to my typical stuff. I think the parts at the end get a bit boring. Tell me what you think. Thanks!

Oh, and as a bonus, 9 minutes of glitchy, bleeps and bloops. :)

http://www.3amnoise.net/un.mp3
Last edited by justin3am on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link just hangs for me :(

I was looking forward to some shredding as well as i'm really getting into that these days! :cry:

tehlord wrote:Link just hangs for me :(

I was looking forward to some shredding as well as i'm really getting into that these days! :cry:
Bummer, I'll see what I can do. What browser?

Try this sound cloud link.

http://soundcloud.com/justin3am/portions

Aha, IE7 :oops:

Just tested it again and no beans after 5 minutes of waitage.

ffwd time to teh soundcloud......

brilliant!

It's got a proper filscore quality about it and some of the tone you've got out of the guitar is gorgeous. Having only played for a couple of weeks, pinched harmonics are quite my Nemesis :x

I'd maybe like to hear a bit more double tracking width but you may lose some of the guitars definition doing that.

Consider me jealous :)

Yeah, I'm getting the same hang ups with IE7. Weird works fine in Safari and FF.

I'm also a noob with guitar (only started about a year ago) but I'm learning. I don't know any fancy techniques and I tend to play it like a bass, I cover my lack of experience with heavy processing. :hihi:

I closed up the stereo field and used almost zero reverb in an attempt to create a garage recording vibe. I've been attempting to craft a "new" style of mixing which occasionally works and often doesn't. I think in this track it ends up making the drums and bass sound too loud.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. :D

Well i'll be happy if I can play that well after one year!

Now you've mentioned it the drums may be a little loud, but I wouldn't have noticed it had you not mentioned it.

The kcik sounds like a little notch cut somewhere around 100-200hz may unbox it a bit and the snare could possibly use a tiny amount of ambience reverb to get it sitting right, but not essential at all.

Still loving that guitar. Is it guitar rig you're going through?

*snip*

double post

tehlord wrote:Still loving that guitar. Is it guitar rig you're going through?
There are two guitar parts each tracked three times. The crunchy rhythm is my LP through an Eleven Rack using the Tread Plate model. The droney lead is the same LP driving a wavetable which is being modulated by a pair of looping envelopes. That signal then then goes out to this shitty 18w tube amp which I mic'd with an AKG c414. Think of the wavetable thing like a morphing wave shaper and the envelopes are modulating the morphing.

I like it.
Sounds apocalyptic...doom...gloom, and pumpkin patches.
Sounds like tricker treaters walking up to the door of a sykoz house, ready to ring the bell.
...and who answers the door?

Thanks man, gloom and doom was definitely what I was going for. :tu:

beginning, boring. nice sounds, nice riffage, great mood in the middle.

where's the melody?

I have always had a tough time with melody, you know that by now. :bang: I'm still struggling with the whole guitar thing, too. Normally I'd just sample individual notes and build a melody like that but I wanted to keep editing down to a minimum on this one, I wanted it to sound like I played it. I consider this a work in progress, I'd eventually like to add vocals of some sort.

Thanks for listening. :)

I didn't enjoy this track, but I had a look at some of your others and "For the tenth time-edit" is just amazing to me. Glad I discovered that.

It's funny because that is the kind of thing I'm much more comfortable with. This is a departure for me. :lol:

Thanks for listening.

Return to “Music Cafe”