Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
CtrlBrk
KVRist

31 posts since 25 Nov, 2010

Postby CtrlBrk; Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:27 pm VstBoard experimental opensource vst host

Hi, it may be at a too early stage of development, not user friendly and maybe buggy, but for those of you addicted to experimental stuffs, you can try the thing i'm programming. The idea is to build a modular, programmable host/chainer/plugin. I don't think it's really usable yet, there's no documentation and the user interface is... (indescribable?), common irritable mortals should probably stay away :D
Anyway, you can find it here, with some more infos and no warranty : http://vstboard.blogspot.com/
RunBeerRun
KVRAF

7878 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:57 am

I tried it real quick, looks cool, a vst that can host other vst. Don't understand it yet, but as I said in previous sayings I aint been into it yet.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams
CtrlBrk
KVRist

Postby CtrlBrk; Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:26 am

I really have to work on the interface ^^. There's now a short documentation on the blog explaining the principle ideas, it may help
raintalk
KVRist

291 posts since 15 Mar, 2006

Postby raintalk; Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:39 pm

VSTBoard looks very promising

Both as a host and VST plugin

The downloaded version has bubble connectors at the top and bottom of each panel. I'm confused on how these are used?

I'm going to keep an eye on this, it looks like a great live use VST.

Make sure you get the midi timing stuff in for LFO's, Echos, Tempo, etc.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to what you come up with.

:tu:
deleted

Postby deleted; Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:47 pm

DELETED
CtrlBrk
KVRist

Postby CtrlBrk; Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:39 pm

@raintalk :
the bubble connectors are the bridges between panels, at the top left are the inputs, top right the outputs, bottom left sends, bottom right returns. things should be clearer now that there's an activity indicator on each pin but they need a better design, a label, an arrow or something. and a documentation too.
your right, as a plugin it doesn't sync with the host, that's probably the next thing to do.

@MrHope, the main idea is to build some kind of multifx : build your sounds with some plugins and switch between those setups with a controller. the other goal is to experiment things and allow any kind of abuse (cable loops and midi messages massacre... )

thanks for your support :)
CtrlBrk
KVRist

Postby CtrlBrk; Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi, a little update :
As you suggested, timing info is relayed from the host to the children plugins and the "bridges" are a bit better now, + other details... It gets better, slowly
CtrlBrk
KVRist

Postby CtrlBrk; Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Not that it is really important, but, may I say that with this fifth post the link up there should be clickable ? Or is it WRONG ?
:oops:
RunBeerRun
KVRAF

7878 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Yup, it's a clickable link now. I'm going to test this out again.

There's some guy in the instruments forum looking for a free chainer that can do vsti, maybe this one will work?
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams
CtrlBrk
KVRist

Postby CtrlBrk; Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:25 am

It may to the job, i'm going to check this out. Thanks for the heads up !
User
KVRer

12 posts since 17 Mar, 2004

Postby User; Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi

I've been checkin it too and looks like a little gem : )

Have a question btw.:

Where do you connect outgoing ports of the VST Automation object?

For example the objects representing VST plugins have automation inputs that receive signal from the DAW via Automation object. But it seems they don't have automation outputs (or I can't find them), ie. when you tweak a knob of a plugin on its own interface, this operation is not received by the DAW. Thus formerly recorded automation track/curve on the DAW (in my case Reaper) gets zeroed if I don't disarm it immediately after recording.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but what?

Regards

Q
CtrlBrk
KVRist

Postby CtrlBrk; Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 am

Well, your right, there's no parameter output pins on the vst plugins, thus there is no way to send the automation back to the host for recording.
I don't know Reaper very well but I tried some other plugins and they seem to behave the same. Anyway, I'll add those output automation pins and we'll see how it goes.
thanks for your interest !
User
KVRer

12 posts since 17 Mar, 2004

Postby User; Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for answering.

Don't know if it would be of any help but here is some more detail about the situation

I put "automation object" on a panel without any other plugins in VSTboard and I can record an automation curve in my DAW when I tweak its (automation object's) sliders but this curve gets zeroed in the second pass (during a loop recording) if I don't disarm it in DAW. This behaviour exists regardless of the automation object is connected to a plugin or not. Thus I thought that automation object somehow continuously sends a fixed value to the host maybe because its inputs are not connected to anywhere : )

Regards
Last edited by User on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
S-N-S
KVRAF

2484 posts since 2 Jan, 2008, from denmark

Postby S-N-S; Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:19 pm

i have to try this out,it sort of look like "pimped version of bidule" :D
CtrlBrk
KVRist

Postby CtrlBrk; Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:33 pm

User wrote:automation object somehow continuously sends a fixed value to the host

Bug reproduced :) I think see what's wrong now, should be fixed soon...

pimped version

sometime urban dictionary is not of much help i'm afraid :help:
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)