Zebra Patch Contest # 14 - "Keys"

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

>>> Zebra Patch Contest #14 - Keyboards <<<

Back by popular demand, for this month's patch contest we're using Zebra and the theme is "Keyboards".

So what counts as a 'keyboard' patch? For the purpose of this contest there's no hard definition, but it's pretty much any patch that would usually get filed under 'Keys'. In the Zebra factory library it includes those patches that Howard calls 'Pianoids' and 'Orgones'.

A more technical definition might be Chordophones, Aerophones, Idiophones and Electrophones.

Aren't synths keyboard instruments anyway? - Well, in the main, yes, but the convention followed in synthland is to place polysynth and mono/lead sounds within their own separate categories. Obviously there is some cross-over; many of Howard's 'Pianoid' patches, for example, could reasonably be classed as 'Polysynth' patches.

Which is as much as to say that there is good a degree of flexibility here. There's certainly nothing dictating that patches must be realistic emulations of acoustic keyboard instruments - unusual, synthetic, electronic reinterpretations of keyboard sounds are positively encouraged!

As ever the prize for this contest is pretty damn good - a free choice of one software product from the u-he range!

How to enter

Simply create one or two "Keys" patches using Zebra.

Send them (.h2p format) to bmrzycki, either by PM through this forum, or by email to: brzycki [at] gmail [dot] com

Rulez and other important stuff:

Deadline for Submissions - 10 am (UTC-6) Monday April 25th

A maximum of two patches per person.

Patches should be anonymized (putting a "?" in the "author" field when saving does the trick).

The winning patch will be decided by a vote (and everyone who submits a patch is expected to vote!).

Please try to ensure that your patch does not exhibit significant - ideally no - audio clipping.

---

The theme for these contests are decided upon by something approaching a democratic/consensual process, so if anyone has ideas for future contests, themes, or just general suggestions, please speak your brains in the following thread...
Last edited by hakey on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Some tips that might go well with keyboard emulations (courtesy of 3ee):

Tip #1: It's about the envelopes. (Zebra 2.5 has VERY versatile EGs so you got to tweak'em just right)

Tip #2: It's about being expressive. (changes over velocity and keyboard range)

Tip #3: It's about a beautifull tone. (:!: no comments here just keep it clean and consistent)

Tip #4: Leave effects for a finishing touch and don't overuse them.

Tip #5: Sometimes you may be too close to the project so it's best to make some comparisons from time to time to hear how your patch behaves VS your point of referance (oh yes, you gotta have patches you love stuff about them... so recreate them within your patch :) )

Tip #6: Subtile tweaks can make a big difference sometimes.
---

Some ideas on patch design from the Zebralette contest thread.

Again from the Zebralette contest, hints on how to be competitive in ZPC.
---
Last edited by hakey on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

And my suggestion for May's contest is Tyrell - that's so long as Urs doesn't see a problem with this?

hakey wrote:And my suggestion for May's contest is Tyrell - that's so long as Urs doesn't see a problem with this?
Made this a sticky and absolutely no problems with TyrellN6 for next contest. I've received tons of really great preset contributions for that one. It'll be released next week.

hakey wrote:And my suggestion for May's contest is Tyrell...
:tu:

Urs wrote: absolutely no problems with TyrellN6 for next contest.
:tu:

I'm pretty sure we'll get another good turn out - might even beat the 52 patch record!

Oh boy... this should be a great edition! Keyboards are one of my favorite instruments to play and synthesize. :)
Good Luck to all! :tu:
Last edited by 3ee on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

in the main post, it says:

"How to enter

Simply create one or two "Keys" patches using Bazille.

Send them (.h2p format) to bmrzycki, either by PM through this forum, or by email to: brzycki [at] gmail [dot] com "

I guess the "Bazille" is a typo here ? because the title says Zebra...

Missed Bazille I did but I'll give this one a good shot :)

arbee wrote:I guess the "Bazille" is a typo here ?
Yep, that was a mistake (due to copy pasting much of the text from last months contest). :oops:
Last edited by hakey on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hakey wrote:^ Yep, that was a mistake (due to copy pasting much of the text from last months contest). :oops:
Darn ya'! Darn ya'! to heck Erkle ! :hihi: :hihi:

Had a go at the Bazille contest,enjoyed it.
So I think i'll have a crack at this one too.
:)

Resonator63 wrote:Had a go at the Bazille contest,enjoyed it.
So I think i'll have a crack at this one too.
:)
That's the spirit!

No time to join I'm afraid, but very curious to see what you guys come up with.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

core wrote:No time to join I'm afraid
3 1/2 weeks till the deadline... ;)

Return to “u-he”