What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Midi data to Ipad from Live

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRist
 
169 posts since 12 Aug, 2004, from Santiago Chile
 

Postby ulozilla; Sun May 15, 2011 11:40 am Midi data to Ipad from Live

Is it possible to send midi data from Ableton Live(or any sequencer) to the iPad to use it as a sound module?
KVRist
 
311 posts since 13 Sep, 2008, from Wandering
 

Postby DJ_Schoolcraft; Thu May 26, 2011 9:23 am

Bump- I'm interested in this too. I've GOT to know how to hook up iMS-20 with FL.
KVRist
 
169 posts since 12 Aug, 2004, from Santiago Chile
 

Postby ulozilla; Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 am

re-bump, is this possible? without iConnect midi?
KVRist
 
331 posts since 19 Sep, 2012

Postby BiancaNeve; Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:07 am

Camera connection kit and a cheap USB to midi lead will do the job as long as the program sends midi out to the iPad it wouldn't be any different to plugging in a keyboard would it?
Instant human just add coffee
KVRist
 
434 posts since 27 Jun, 2009, from UK
  

Postby martin_l; Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:14 am

Well, there are several possibilities: If you are on a Mac, the easiest way is wireless MIDI. On a PC that works as well, as long as you can set up a ad hoc network. Going through a router does not work due to huge latency.

Otherwise, you can use the Camera connection kit, but then you still need basically two MIDI interfaces. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to go directly from the iPad to USB on the PC or MAC. I don't understand why this is not possible, but I have not yet seen any such way.

I personally ended up buying an Alesis IO dock on ebay. You get them for about £80 when you keep on looking.

The cheapest solution would probably be to buy a CCK and two simple USB-MIDI cables, but then you still have to modify one of them and replace the male MIDI connectors by female ones, so that you can connect one to the other.


Hope this helps...
User avatar
KVRian
 
1160 posts since 31 Jan, 2003, from Ghent, Belgium
 

Postby T-CM11; Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:17 am

martin_l wrote:. Going through a router does not work due to huge latency.

Not necessarily. My latency through my router is the same as ad hoc. Most of the time very low.
KVRist
 
434 posts since 27 Jun, 2009, from UK
  

Postby martin_l; Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:36 am

T-CM11 wrote:
martin_l wrote:. Going through a router does not work due to huge latency.

Not necessarily. My latency through my router is the same as ad hoc. Most of the time very low.


Oh, you are lucky then. I don't know why, but for me a rtpMIDI connection via the router simply does not work. Dropouts, missing notes, hanging notes, you name it... But, it also might be something else on my PC (Win 7)...?
User avatar
KVRian
 
1160 posts since 31 Jan, 2003, from Ghent, Belgium
 

Postby T-CM11; Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:40 am

martin_l wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
martin_l wrote:. Going through a router does not work due to huge latency.

Not necessarily. My latency through my router is the same as ad hoc. Most of the time very low.


Oh, you are lucky then. I don't know why, but for me a rtpMIDI connection via the router simply does not work. Dropouts, missing notes, hanging notes, you name it... But, it also might be something else on my PC (Win 7)...?

And no such problems with ad hoc? Sounds to me like an issue with your router. What kind of router do you have? Is it an ISP provided modem/router combination? Mine is a Linksys E2000.
User avatar
KVRian
 
804 posts since 21 Aug, 2011
    

Postby Phase47; Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:39 am

martin_l wrote:I don't understand why this is not possible, but I have not yet seen any such way.


Same here. I'd give up plastic keyboard controllers for glass if I could get MIDI down the data cable and USB directly into the computer. No idea why this isn't a no-brainer.

I too have latency that too high through wireless with dropped notes, lag, etc.
KVRist
 
429 posts since 27 Oct, 2011, from Pacific Northwest

Postby iPlogger; Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:18 pm

> Same here. I'd give up plastic keyboard controllers for glass if I
> could get MIDI down the data cable and USB directly into the computer.

Check out iConnectMIDI. It has been a great device which has easily brought all of my equipment (iPad, USB keyboard, MIDI keyboards/racks, and computer) all to talk with nearly zero latency.

Check out Rheyne's videos on YouTube. He uses the iPad as a MIDI controller (Lemur app) to his computer.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Mobile Apps and Hardware