Harmony Rotator - beta 0.2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is the Harmony Rotator plugin, VSTi 2.4, beta v0.1.

This is a MIDI only plugin - it does not create any sound. When it receives an input note it generates up to 4 output notes, one for each of the 4 "voices". The output notes can be snapped to scale, delayed per voice, and are offset from the input note value according to the interval(s) defined for each voice.

The zip file for version 0.2 is HERE. It contains a 32-bit version, a 64-bit version and a readme.txt file giving some additional description.

This plugin was inspired by the harmony rotation described here: http://mazandkilgore.com/?p=16

This plugin can give a sort-of automatic jazz kind of feel to things (not real jazz of course, apologies to jazz afficionados) and can make interesting output from only 1 or 2 notes input simultaneously. I plan to put in more scales, some presets, etc, time permitting.

This is a beta release so you may see bugs. Let me know if you do and I'll do my best to address them.

Have fun. :) Let me know if you have any problems.

--
EDIT: 2011-07-05 update to version 0.2
Last edited by ToneCarver on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Interesting. Will give it a go and see what happens...
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

Incredible ! Something useful ! Thanks a lot.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

looks supercool, still haven't tried out the beta3
of the other one yet..

have you considered putting a tone generator on these
plugins, switchable on off? would be really useful,
and due to the notation-related nature, could be
something really simple, even a little sf2 that takes
little cpu...and would help with first steps getting
to grips with it.

Wow!
Another great free tool from you :)
I'll try it asap!

Thanks again for your plugins :)

Cheers
Dennis

Thanks a lot, TOneCarver.

Thanks!
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

Awesome, it's like a manually stepped arp.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

mztk wrote:looks supercool, still haven't tried out the beta3
of the other one yet..

have you considered putting a tone generator on these
plugins, switchable on off? would be really useful,
and due to the notation-related nature, could be
something really simple, even a little sf2 that takes
little cpu...and would help with first steps getting
to grips with it.
I'm not ready to step up to that task yet, but if you direct the midi out to any synth you can use that to listen to notes that get generated.

As to getting to grips with the plugin, try muting rotator voice 1 and 2, set the interval of the parallel voice to something other than 0, then send a single note into the plugin. It will generate 2 notes, one for the orignal and another for the parallel voice. Alter the parallel voice interval and notice how the interval between the generated notes changes. Set the delay on the parallel voice and you should hear the parallel voice note delayed. The rotator voices are essentially the same as the parallel voice except the rotator voices have 4 intervals instead of 1. Each rotator voice steps to the "next" interval every time the plugin receives an input note. The rotator determines which interval is the next one based on the algorithm which tells what order the intervals should be used in. Try muting parallel voice and rotator voice 2 (main and rotator voice 1 are un-muted) and experimenting with rotator voice 1 sending single notes into the plugin to get a sense of how it works.

RunBeerRun wrote:Awesome, it's like a manually stepped arp.
Yup, sort of something like that :) It needs presets for sure but it's a start...

I see an upper black stripe with "ON" written on the left. Is this a part of the vst, or a part of your host ? The problem is that I can't see it and actually I can't get any midi out from your plug.

(But I must confess that I tried it under Linux with wine emulation, so there may be some problems, obviously).

This is pretty cool, and you can get some pretty wacky harmonies out of it. As soon as I figure out some intervals that sounds universally consonant (I've already done the harmonic series, which sounds great), this will be getting a lot more use. If I could make some suggestions, the first would be to add some sort of indication of which voice is playing. The other would be to add fine tuning on each voice, but since this is a purely midi plugin, I'm not sure if that's possible.

Great plugin, all in all.
The only thing we shouldn't know is what we can't do.

stanlea wrote:I see an upper black stripe with "ON" written on the left. Is this a part of the vst, or a part of your host ? The problem is that I can't see it and actually I can't get any midi out from your plug.

(But I must confess that I tried it under Linux with wine emulation, so there may be some problems, obviously).
That "ON" strip is created by the VST testing host that I was using at the time, it is not part of the plugin itself so you should not be seeing it. Are you sending midi notes into the plugin? It only generates output notes in response to input notes. Is the transport running? If not, try it with the transport running and let me know if that makes a difference.

rexman77 wrote:This is pretty cool, and you can get some pretty wacky harmonies out of it. As soon as I figure out some intervals that sounds universally consonant (I've already done the harmonic series, which sounds great), this will be getting a lot more use. If I could make some suggestions, the first would be to add some sort of indication of which voice is playing. The other would be to add fine tuning on each voice, but since this is a purely midi plugin, I'm not sure if that's possible.

Great plugin, all in all.
Thanks, glad you are enjoying it. The mute led should tell you which voices are active and I would like to add some kind of indicator in the rotator voices to tell which interval is the active one too.

What sort of fine tuning are you thinking of ?

ToneCarver wrote:
stanlea wrote:I see an upper black stripe with "ON" written on the left. Is this a part of the vst, or a part of your host ? The problem is that I can't see it and actually I can't get any midi out from your plug.

That "ON" strip is created by the VST testing host that I was using at the time, it is not part of the plugin itself so you should not be seeing it. Are you sending midi notes into the plugin? It only generates output notes in response to input notes. Is the transport running? If not, try it with the transport running and let me know if that makes a difference.
I am sure I'm sending midi notes, because if I plug a synth directly to the same input, it works. And running transport doesn't change nothing. Nothing out. It may however be a transport problem, because I have the same problem with some xoxos midi plugins like circuit for instance.

If running transport is not mandatory, could you suppress this feature ?

Return to “Instruments”