Quiver: developer asking for beta feedback

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Quiver

Hey all,

I've been working on a modular synth for a while, and it's getting to the point where it's very usable.

It's a modular 32-bit VSTi for Mac and Windows. Here's the link to the website:

http://straightarrow.dk/quiver/

There are still some stability issues, and it uses too much memory, but apart from that I feel pretty good about it!

If anybody has any thoughts or feedback, I'd be happy to hear it. :-)

Ralph

Looks interesting and well thought out. I assume this Beta will time out at some point? Any idea of what the purchase price will be for the release version? I might give the beta a go.......... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

There are way to much interesting things lately :hihi:
Looks really great :)
I like the Zebra like matrix!

I'll try it asap!
Thanks for this!

Cheers
Dennis

Yup, quite a bit around in the modular arena, lovin it! Will try this ASAP Ralph [btw, from the word go I'll say the GUI is too dark and hard to work with but give it a couple of days an I'll see if I still feel the same :D ]
Eternitysound VST Banks

Teksonik wrote:Looks interesting and well thought out. I assume this Beta will time out at some point? Any idea of what the purchase price will be for the release version?
There's no timeout in the current beta version, so knock yourself out.

As for price, it's not 100% set in stone, but the introductory price will probably be €39, with room to grow as the synth becomes more complete.

I love to test synths.

I will feedback later.
Downloading and thanks :)
Last edited by IrionDaRonin on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgeZ wrote:from the word go I'll say the GUI is too dark and hard to work with
My first thought too ... a lighter background would make things much easier to read. Will check it out anyway ... :)

Just tried it really quickly!

First thoughts:
- The audio demos on your website sound really great!
- There should be an Init preset.
- It would be cool if the background wouldn't be THAT dark. It's a good idea to avoid 100% black and 100% white in general. It never looks good.
- I really like the idea behind this synth. Very interesting oscillators too!

I really like it so far :)
Just a few things could be changed, but it's a beta so that should be expected :)

I'll test it a little further later today!

Cheers
Dennis

thecontrolcentre wrote:
GeorgeZ wrote:from the word go I'll say the GUI is too dark and hard to work with
My first thought too ... a lighter background would make things much easier to read.
So what I hear you guys saying is that you prefer dark text on a light background? Dang. Should have a preference page for this kind of stuff :-)

One VERY important thing I forgot to mention: The knobs don't update in realtime! That should be changed as well.

Sorry if all this sounds to negative. I really like it and just want to help :)

Cheers
Dennis

How about something like this for the background?

http://straightarrow.dk/quiver/files/sa ... test01.png

I found that dark gray was really dull, so I tried adding a bit of color.

ralphb wrote:How about something like this for the background?

http://straightarrow.dk/quiver/files/sa ... test01.png

I found that dark gray was really dull, so I tried adding a bit of color.
Looks much better :tu:

Cheers
Dennis

Hi there. I just tweaked it a bit. It's not bad at all, cheers :)

Pros

- Good sound without being excellent.
- Great amount of features.
- It could makes practically any kind of sound if you take time to make it.
- The price is not bad at all, but the synth needs some improves yet.

Soso

- The CPU is not bad in my low equip, but there are some patches which uses too much CPU without reason.
- The preset system is a bit messy. It could be improved. Instead of a 'clear button', a ¡previous page' button would be better imo.

Cons

- Dark GUI. Could be more flashy imo in dark grey/grey with some textures or leds. Or amazing if were customizable with some basic colors.
- GUI goes laggy, as Bronto said before about the real time knobs.
- Sometimes, in any other synth, the oscilloscope consumes CPU, it would be nice to have a button to turn it off. More options, much better.

When release, a good amount of presets would be nice. About 128-256 patches. It's a good synth. And for 30-39 Euros it could be ok. It needs some improves yet, but is obvious it's beta yet.

Thanks for share it and keep up the good work. ;)

EDIT: Now i saw the darkgrey new GUI, that's i was talking about. Much better now :)

Have a good day :)

IrionDaRonin wrote:Hi there. I just tweaked it a bit. It's not bad at all, cheers :)
Thanks for your detailed feedback, much appreciated :-)

One follow up question: You say that the sound is good, without being excellent.

Would you say that that is due to
a) the sound quality of the invididual modules?
b) a lack of modules, where more interesting modules would make better sounds?
c) the presets currently in the synth?

That's kind of a pivot point here, so I'd like to hear a more detailed oppinion.

Thanks!
Ralph

in FL9 on XP, occasionally when I click on Modulation, I get this message;
"Lua Error (Draw) [string "--[[,,,":62: attempt to index local 'topOfActiveList' (a nil value)". Fortunately doesn't cause a crash anywhere. I click on the four or five message boxs that appear and it runs fine again. I can't predict when it happens though.

I can't really see a difference in the GUIs and I think if the knob graphics were slightly more visible I'd be happy.

Whilst I like the idea of catogory listing of presets, I'd prefer it when there is no match to go straight to the one you clicked on, and not just present an empty twin catogory list. If this is going to have hundreds of presets I'd prefer that.

Still a pleasing approach to a vsti though.

Return to “Instruments”