Best Electric BASS Samples or Plugin on a budget? (real bass)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Can anyone recommend great real sounding electric bass samplesets/instruments/plugins for musicians on a budget? (In my case, not slap or mute bass but more like fingered bass or picked might work too.)

Trillion is HIGHLY reommended but it's about $300. I'd be looking for something under $100. If only money was no object. ;)

So far I've heard demos of Orange Tree Cherry basses that sound good. Any others I should be looking at? And any that would suit reggae (that thick deep real bass sound)?

I made an electric bass multisampled (just one octave,finger and pick)
download for free here http://www.reusenoise.com/free-samples.php
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

Hey leroik,
Try IK Multimedia's Sampletank Free, which comes with a nice set of basses already, and for $44.00 during IK's Anniversary sale, you can add the Bass Collection 2 Xpansion Tank that has dozens of COOL velocity sampled electric basses.

You'll get another Xpansion Tank free on top of that, and if the sale reaches 5000, you'll get another one! I would recommend either of the drum packages, Acoustic 2 or Electronic 2 to make a nice, tight ST rhythm section.

OR for another five dollars, you can get in on the esoundz VInsanity Sale and get Sonik Synth 2 for $50, which has tons of synth, acoustic and electric basses, plus drums, pianos, synths, guitars, mellotrons and several samples of the kitchen sink! KIDDING! But it really is a great VI with a very low cpu hit and lots to work with.

Either way, buy thru esoundz and you'll get epointz AND IK jampoints to put toward future purchases.

Make sure to refer someone at checkout if you do, those gift epointz are an instant day fixer!

KVR/esoundz: Xenobt

Confused.

At any rate, if you have kontakt and can use the kontakt sets then I do hear good things about OT.

But if you don't have the full version of kontakt, consider something like the NI "pre-bass" It's a precision and might be what you are after (it used the Kontakt player) It is a bit ram hungry though.

You should check out these sample sets. http://www.lyricaldistortion.com/store/ ... &cPath=3_5
Pretty hard to beat for the price. The Smoke and Dirt basses being my personal fav's.

NI's Jay Bass is great too with good scripting, great realism and playability...

Jay bass is great, I was just thinking that because he said reggae and not slapped. Certainly a good choice though ( and you do have pickup selection if memory serves......)

Thanks guys! That's awesome so far.

Yeah, I hadn't noticed that OT required Kontakt full version. That explains why the price was so good. :)

Keep 'em coming.

Sampleconstruct wrote:NI's Jay Bass is great too with good scripting, great realism and playability...
This would be hard to beat. The price is right. It works in the Kontakt player, and the sampling/articulations are excellent.

That was the first one that came to my mind as well.

So this is the first thread I've read in weeks in which more than one person writes something positive about NI products :)

leroik wrote:Yeah, I hadn't noticed that OT required Kontakt full version. That explains why the price was so good. :)
As has been hinted at here... without the full version of Kontakt you're sorta missing out on a lot of good options: OT, lyrical distortion (cheap, but good!), and others. [EDIT: actually LD libaries may have a SFZ option, but that won't be as good as the kontakt versions from a scripting feature perspective]

The NI scarbee basses are a good option for a standalone/Kontakt player solution.

For multiformat basses, check out AcousticSamples: http://www.acousticsamples.net/index.ph ... ucts_id=26

Their stuff happens to be on sale currently, so you can get the 3-bass stingray package above for $77.

The advantage with AS is that you'll get Kontakt instrument versions and also versions for their own "ASPlayer", which is free... so you get to use them now with ASPlayer, and also have the kontakt versions for later when you succumb to the siren song of the world's best sampler (well, sample-playbacker anyway). Unforunately, ASPlayer versions support slightly less featurs than the kontakt equivalents, which speaks to the power of kontakt... but I've never used the AS versions so can't tell you exactly what features are not supported.

Yeah, I didn't realize the price was so good on the Jay Bass, I'll be checking it out VERY closely!

But while the Jay Bass may be a better example of a great single instrument, exhaustively sampled, I still vote for Sampletank/Bass Collection 2 for sheer variety and light CPU load.

Precision. Jazz Bass, Hofner, Rickenbaker, Chapman Stick, fretless, acoustic and TONS of ready-to-go produced patches perfect for the style described by the OP.

That would make my $.04 now!

KVR/esoundz: Xenobt

kbaccki wrote:The NI scarbee basses are a good option for a standalone/Kontakt player solution.

For multiformat basses, check out AcousticSamples: http://www.acousticsamples.net/index.ph ... ucts_id=26
These two suggestions are what I use for basses.

You could check out this picked bass sample set that I made for the sfz format. It only costs $15.00. RB1 Picked Bass
The Guitar Player's IR Pack is now available.
o.m.t. audio tools

I see the call and I'll raise the offer..... ;-)
Check out ManyBass at www.manytone.com. There is a demo version to try out. It may be just what you are looking for and I'll sweeten the incentive to anyone reading this thread. ManyBass is on for 119.95 at this time. If anyone wants to get it for only $69.95, just for reading this thread, then email me and I'll send you links to purchase it at this special price. I don't think you'll find a better real bass vsti for the money.

Just drop me a mail and I'll return the special $69.95 links to you.
Regards
Paul

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”