Seriously frustrated with Reaper 4

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm pretty exhausted and about to give up. The sad reality is that I don't have enough money nor the interest or the time to get another DAW. I'm pretty much stuck with Reaper. I have a ton of projects in it, a ton of time invested in it, and love to use it if not for the f**king reliability aspect of it. It is about as stable as a drunk Irish sailor.

Reaper crashes on save repeatedly. Every session, every time. It does save properly the first few times then BOOM crash when saving. This is the v4.0.

I'm running on a sony lappy with 4GB Ram, Vista SP1, Core2Duo and all. I have 72 tracks in my current project. I will trim them to 50 tracks before exporting. There is plenty of CPU headroom. I have cried for help in the Reaper forums with little result.

I mentioned the plugins I used and it seems there are others that use the same plugins with no problems:

Plugins used:
NI Komplete, Kore player, shortcircuit, CSR, Sampletank, RP-Delay and Reaplugs.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Should I just give up, move to a mac+logic setup and end my suffering once and for all? :cry: :help:

submit detailed crash reports of your problems so far and then revert to 3 while you wait? Aren't the developers fairly nifty with updates?
ZZZzzZZzz..zz....zzzzz
My SoundCloud

might be coincidence, but I am having crashes in Reaper when I close a project sometimes, since I installed RP-Delay and the associated runtime stuff.

haven't had the time to track things down further, but think I might try getting rid of RP-Delay, and then maybe uninstall the associated stuff it came with...then see how things go.

also, with a Reaper project open, but nothing happening, I'm getting a higher CPU reading in one core than I remember from before, kind of spiking up and down.

32bit? could be ram related?

but should not be happening!!

if you can post about this on the Reaper forum & maybe post a crash log it will be much more simple to track down the source of this problem!

Subz

djsubject wrote:32bit? could be ram related?

but should not be happening!!

if you can post about this on the Reaper forum & maybe post a crash log it will be much more simple to track down the source of this problem!

Subz
Thanks subz.

How do I access this crashlog??

Windows Vista? :dog:
V.4 here (xp sp3) and...Rock Solid.
:tu:

AgiKvr wrote:Windows Vista? :dog:
V.4 here (xp sp3) and...Rock Solid.
I didn't have these probs with v3.75 in Vista, if that helps. It was also pretty stable. I doubt if Vista has anything to do with it cos other than Reaper crashing, i have nothing to complain about.

keyman_sam wrote:Should I just give up, move to a mac+logic..
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

VSTJuNkiE wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:Should I just give up, move to a mac+logic..
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

:hihi:

If it wasnt stable, the rest of us would be screaming about it.

Vista obviously isnt helping.

Are you trying to run everything off the boot drive?
And does it have lots of free space?
Is it defragged?
Have you run chkdsk lately? (bad sector could cause the crash)

That's a LOT of tracks and heavy vsti's....on Vista.
For smooth data flow you should have your sample libraries
on a secondary drive and audio (and export target) on another drive.
Hard drives get iffy when you get below 20% empty.

Just sounds like you're moving a LOT of data and its rolling over on you.

Check out the Mac and Logic forums.... I don't think moving to Logic would necessarily end your suffering. If I were you I know I first would try to find a way to get Windows 7, it sure couldn't hurt....
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro
Cubase Pro 10/Mixcraft 9

Seriously, backup and update Vista to SP2 before trying anything else.

I have Reaper on Vista SP2 and no crashes on my end. Maybe there is something buggy going on with one of the plugs.

A.Looking at the crash log & submitting in the forums will for sure be a way to detect the problem
B. With that many VSTSis running.. try putting your plugins (specifically RP-Delay) in buggy mode then do a render.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Consistent crashing in a program reported as stable by the majority of other users is almost *never* the fault of the app itself. It's a symptom of a much much more fundamental issue with the system. I wouldn't be looking at Reaper for a solution, I'd be looking at your basic configuration. I think you're very optimistic to think that Vista 32-bit SP1 is going to be trouble-free with all apps.

Dont know if this helps but i notice i get lots of crashes with any ik multimedia stuff i use
try saving with any of that stuff switched off and see if it makes a difference.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”