ACE Patch Contest #3 - Modular Madness

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

APC#3 - Modular Madness

The task for September's patch contest is to design patches suitable for ACE's "Modular Madness" category.

What counts as a "Modular Madness" patch? Hmm... probably best to audition the factory patches already filed under the modular madness category - but in general it's atonal noises, electronic effects, weird loops, scifi machines, things that go bleep, klang, thwarp, woosh etc. and NOT instrumental patches such as leads, basses, keys etc.

As ever the prize for this contest is pretty damn good - a free choice of one nfr* software product from the u-he range!

How to enter
  • Simply create one or two "Modular Madness" patches using ACE.
  • Send your .h2p format patches to bmrzycki, either by PM through this forum (upload the .h2p files to an on-line file share site, such as box.net, and then PM bmrzycki a link), or by email to: brzycki [at] gmail [dot] com.

PMing bmrzycki is probably the more reliable method - emails have been known to get lost in transit.
Rulez and other important stuff:
  • A maximum of two patches per person may be submitted.
  • Patches should be anonymized. Putting a "?" in the "author" field when saving does the trick.
  • The winning patch will be decided by a vote.
  • In order to be eligible for the prize patch submitters must vote - no vote no prize!
  • Try to ensure that your patch does not exhibit significant - ideally no - audio clipping.
  • Please DO NOT! send any patches to me (hakey). KVR member bmrzycki collects the patches for the contest.
  • Please DO! carefully read through the instructions under "How to enter" and "Rulez and other important stuff".
  • The UPDATED deadline for submissions is 14:00 UTC October 7th

*not for resale

The themes for these contests are decided upon by something approaching a democratic/consensual process, so if anyone has ideas for future contests, themes, or just general suggestions, please speak your brains in the "October Patch Contest: suggestions" thread which will appear within the next week or so.

Last edited by hakey on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Additional Info

Naming and patch descriptions

Try to give your patch a unique and descriptive name (bad puns are always welcome).

If submitting two patches try to ensure that the names are not so similar as to make it obvious to everyone else that they are by the same author.

It's a very good idea to include some information in the relevant part of the info box when saving a patch, especially where mod wheel, aftertouch, breath controller, pitch bend are assigned.

Other useful stuff

Some more general patch design tips can be found in the Zebralette contest thread here.

From the same thread - competition hints

Last edited by hakey on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

hakey, I had a lot of confused people asking me how to attach patches to a KVR PM. You might want to add a section about using a site like dropbox or mediafire or box.net to send me the patches. :)

hakey wrote:Modular Madness
:love:

bmrzycki wrote:You might want to add a section about using a site like dropbox or mediafire or box.net to send me the patches. :)
no problem

bmrzycki wrote:hakey, I had a lot of confused people asking me how to attach patches to a KVR PM. You might want to add a section about using a site like dropbox or mediafire or box.net to send me the patches. :)
Yes, I for one needs some instruction on how to send patches through PM. E-mail is working fine so far though.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:hakey, I had a lot of confused people asking me how to attach patches to a KVR PM. You might want to add a section about using a site like dropbox or mediafire or box.net to send me the patches. :)
Yes, I for one needs some instruction on how to send patches through PM. E-mail is working fine so far though.
Email is fine and I'm getting your patches. I'd say stick with what's working. :)

Hi there!

I didn't understand that XY pad part! In ACE is not possible to do that,i can't see that option in the modulation sources. :P

bmrzycki wrote:
satYatunes wrote:
Email is fine and I'm getting your patches. I'd say stick with what's working. :)
Yup, don't fix it if it ain't broken :-D
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote: I for one needs some instruction on how to send patches through PM.
They're in the first post under 'How to enter'.

In short: use a file sharing site ;).

point.source wrote:I didn't understand that XY pad part!
my mistake - that was copy-pasted from the last (Zebra) comp instructions. ACE doesn't have XY pads.

just submitted.. this will be fun!!

Exactly! those brain ripping sounds that only dogs can fully hear

it's why I bought ACE in the first place! :hihi:
Bronto Scorpio wrote: :love:

petedako wrote:brain ripping sounds that only dogs can fully hear
:love:

I've yet to win a contest, but I got some votes the last 2 times and that was awesome (my first contest, no on mentioned my patches and that was a let down).

Haven't fully delved into ACE, and this is the opportunity.

IOW - I'm in :).

Best regards,

Gino

Return to β€œu-he”