What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  
KVRer

12 posts since 23 Aug, 2011

Postby mmxgn; Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:36 am Zynaddsubfx/Yoshimi on Live Performances

Hello again,

I've officially fallen in love with Zyn/Yoshimi. It is really straightforward (contrary to many proprietary VSTi synths) and powerful and I think it deserves much more credit.
I have still some minor problems but I think they are due to my programming of Zynaddsubfx and not zynaddsubfx itself.

I would like to ask, anyone has used Zynaddsubfx/Yoshimi for live performances? Is it stable enough (provided a stable operating system environment and a sufficient cpu/mem combo)? What are the physical limitations for such a performance for the various version of Zynaddsubfx (standalone Zyn, Yoshimi, VST Zyn)? Anyone tested it on a real environment?

Thank you for your answers.
KVRer

10 posts since 17 May, 2011

Postby 3mpty; Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am

I'm interested in this too. But cannot help.
About Me:
Never managed to finish any of my projects :(
If you have some hints about how to not loose interest in something over time, please, contact me :D
KVRAF

4269 posts since 5 Aug, 2006, from UK - Here!

Postby folderol; Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:20 am

I've not done any live work, but I have done very long studio sessions. I've only ever used Zyn & Yoshi as complete apps via jack.

The earlier versions of Zyn were not stable, and although I could get round the freezes for the studio, I would not have recommended it for live work. However much has changed since then.

I'm a bit out of date with Zyn so, although I know it is improved, I don't know how reliable it is over long periods. I can say that I find Yoshi to be stable for hours at a time.

With either of these, when working live, I recommend that you set up a group of patches on different channels (up to 16 obviously) then use several dumb keyboards set to transmit MIDI on the different channels.

The experimental version of Yoshi - 0.062 - does have bank and patch changing on-the-fly but I don't know how well this would work live (you would need a device to send the MIDI bank and program changes) or how stable it would be long-term.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)
KVRer

1 post since 13 Aug, 2012

Postby Shoal; Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:55 pm

I have used Yoshimi as my primary synth for a number of gigs. Very simple and easy to get back running if your system crashes (yet to happen at a gig). I have a couple issues with it's ability to recognize midi controller commands, but ease of use wins. Qjackctl, Patchage, and Yoshimi for software, M-Audio redium 49 midi controller, and now a pretty good laptop, Lenovo Y570 ideapad, running Ubuntu Studio. I was using a really crappy old laptop before which worked just fine.
Signature blocked until 5 posts made

Moderator: paulnasca

Return to ZynAddSubFX