Felonious Monk (ElectroProg - Seismic TranceFusion in the Forbidden City)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The last in the Trancefusion series. This took 15 hours to record in October 2009. The September 2011 Edit/Remix/Remaster took about 7 hours and consisted of lots of small adjustments to the structure of the track plus complete substitution of a drumkit. Only 4 drumkits on here!

edit: 20150102: I edited, remixed and remastered this again in Jan 2015, with a view to putting this on my second album.

edit: 20150102: mp3 download link removed

at 320Kbps on SoundCloud

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/felonious-monk

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.1/Remixed in EnergyXT2.5.4/EnergyXT2.7
Tromine_Z_v1.4
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Mini_ErHu
Mini_DiZi
erratic_CM
CM Dominator
Silkworm
NI Pro-53
CM SR-202
EnergyXT Delay
Breeze
Nugen Stereoizer v3
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 11

EDIT:20240313 - now also on Youtube as a static video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD9WSoB00Ps
Last edited by seismic1 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Left some comments on teh cloud.

Definitely my fave of yours so far, and I really am enjoying the unusual textures you put together. It's still 80s sounding, but never really retro and those drums are excellent.

:love:

tehlord wrote:Left some comments on teh cloud.

Definitely my fave of yours so far, and I really am enjoying the unusual textures you put together. It's still 80s sounding, but never really retro and those drums are excellent.

:love:
Thanks for listening and commenting on this. Glad you like. Next track is much more relaxed and downtempo, but I've yet to remix/master it.

Laters

Very nice piece seismic! I love the oriental flavours. Somehow this reminds me a little bit of Big Audio Dynamite.
Image Image

polyslax wrote:Very nice piece seismic! I love the oriental flavours. Somehow this reminds me a little bit of Big Audio Dynamite.
Thanks for listening and commenting Matt. Glad you like my Chinese takeaway.

Love it. Cool and relaxing, with that oriental vibe.

odd wrote:Love it. Cool and relaxing, with that oriental vibe.
Thanks for listening and commenting. Glad you like it.

I kept wishing for more development of one theme or the other before the song changed between them, but I really liked the variety of instrumentation you used here!

What did you use for the flutey sound?

spirulence wrote:I kept wishing for more development of one theme or the other before the song changed between them, but I really liked the variety of instrumentation you used here!

What did you use for the flutey sound?
I know what you mean about thematic development. I just find it hard to do this within the confines of a 7 minute track! Here I just used 2 themes in a conventional verse/chorus layout and then added the Pro-53 "resonating again" patch to restate the first theme in a slightly rearranged format underneath it.

The flute sound was Mini_Dizi by Kong Audio sometimes augmented by Mini_Erhu from the same source. It has a great sound for a free VST, and is well worth picking up.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting.

Kind of an action movie soundtrack feeling to this one. Nice work again. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

The beginning is very simple, yet "complete" in a strange way. I liked the drum pattern very much, in spite of the cymbals. The build-up is very nice. I like the mix of acoustic instruments with synthetized sounds.
Listen to my music on:
http://soundcloud.com/mischjok

:)

This is great - strong, unusual theme, good arrangement and instrumentation, and those drums (particularly when they first storm in) are terrific :)

D.H. Miltz wrote:Kind of an action movie soundtrack feeling to this one. Nice work again. Thanks.
Though not an action movie, one of my favourite soundtracks has to be The Last Emperor. Maybe I was subliminally influenced by parts of this here. Thanks for listening and commenting DHM. Glad you liked it.

hagever wrote:The beginning is very simple, yet "complete" in a strange way. I liked the drum pattern very much, in spite of the cymbals. The build-up is very nice. I like the mix of acoustic instruments with synthetized sounds.
Glad you liked this. Thanks for listening and commenting. Generally, I like to have a little fun with drums on these tracks.

mikusan wrote:This is great - strong, unusual theme, good arrangement and instrumentation, and those drums (particularly when they first storm in) are terrific :)
First kit to come in is DLM Erratic CM, complete with some randomised stuff. That kit is quickly supplemented by the EnergyXT drum sampler. Later on I also use Tromine_Z and SR-202.

Glad you enjoyed this. Thanks for listening and commenting. Next track will be more downtempo, with very little melody but some layered chords. Maybe early '80s TD style. Just gotta mix it first.

Return to “Music Cafe”