The Beatles Abbey Road Full Reproduction

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is my latest project. A full Beatles Abbey Road Album reproduction.
I'd really apprecciate your comments on every aspect (playing, singing, recording, mixing and mastering).
I played acoustic and electrig guitars, bass guitar, drums, synths and samplers and sang every song. A friend of mine played acoustic and electric guitars and bass guitar.

Regards

http://soundcloud.com/alejandrozalaquet ... ng-project
Last edited by alejandrozalaquett on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wow what a project!
(Are you not satisfied with the remasters? Hehe)
I'll listen when i get home on my computer
what's next? sgt pepper? ;)

Damn! This is amazing! I just had a quick listen to the first track and this seems to be really well played, sung, recorded, mixed and mastered :-o
Really, really well done! I'll definitely have a proper listen tomorrow!

Cheers
Dennis

Sounds great - very organic. Good job!

WOW! :shock:

Sounds awesome

Do really want to hurt me ? Do you really want to make me cry ?
You can't always get what you waaaant...

did you use those abbey rd vst's ? :wink:

OK - for the first, Beatles stuff (and maybe especially the Abbey Road) is
a real university of all who are insterested in playing (and arranging, recording, mixing) pop/rock music.
You did quite a good job and you can, have learned, and are able to learn in the future more. The ground is there.

But I guess that you want some constructive critique, here it comes.

1. Pay attentions to the drums (timing, arrangement) and especially to the
drum sounds. Many of the tracks would be much better with better
drum programming/samples/mixing (or with real drummer but what is unrealistic in most of the home studios).

2. I liked most of the tracks Something, Oh Darling - and - Her Majesty.
In addition to these, very many good bits in many of the songs.

3. Vocals: because most of us can't imitate credible enough the singing voices of the beatleboys, better alternative is the opposite, try to put more
your personal sound and touch to the vocals, with a good taste of course and respecting the original. BTW, some of your backing vocals were very good,
I wonder if you used vocal samples here and there, if not, even better.
In generally you did quite a well.

4. I guess your target was as an accurate re-playing of the original arrangements. That's one road you can take and very good practise.
What I would do, choose an other way, trying to find personal approach to the core of each song, make your own arrangement respecting the original idea (or what your subjectively think the original core idea/elements are).
One good point in the own arrangements is that you can implement modern sounds, instruments, samples which the Beatles didn't have available in the 60's but what they may have used (in the same way as they used synths which were new thing at the time).
(BTW, you may notice that MOJO magazine has realeased a couple of Beatles reocords, Abbey Road and Let it Be including new arrangements by different artist. Listening these one will notice that understanding what is good arrangement/approach, varies very much to person by person - some of the MOJO Abbey Road stuff very good, some less good but you always learn by listening/analyzing).

Harry

shanecgriffo wrote:did you use those abbey rd vst's ? :wink:
No I didn't. I could list what I used in a particular track if you are interested.

Regards.

Harry_HH wrote:OK - for the first, Beatles stuff (and maybe especially the Abbey Road) is
a real university of all who are insterested in playing (and arranging, recording, mixing) pop/rock music.
You did quite a good job and you can, have learned, and are able to learn in the future more. The ground is there.

But I guess that you want some constructive critique, here it comes.

1. Pay attentions to the drums (timing, arrangement) and especially to the
drum sounds. Many of the tracks would be much better with better
drum programming/samples/mixing (or with real drummer but what is unrealistic in most of the home studios).

2. I liked most of the tracks Something, Oh Darling - and - Her Majesty.
In addition to these, very many good bits in many of the songs.

3. Vocals: because most of us can't imitate credible enough the singing voices of the beatleboys, better alternative is the opposite, try to put more
your personal sound and touch to the vocals, with a good taste of course and respecting the original. BTW, some of your backing vocals were very good,
I wonder if you used vocal samples here and there, if not, even better.
In generally you did quite a well.

4. I guess your target was as an accurate re-playing of the original arrangements. That's one road you can take and very good practise.
What I would do, choose an other way, trying to find personal approach to the core of each song, make your own arrangement respecting the original idea (or what your subjectively think the original core idea/elements are).
One good point in the own arrangements is that you can implement modern sounds, instruments, samples which the Beatles didn't have available in the 60's but what they may have used (in the same way as they used synths which were new thing at the time).
(BTW, you may notice that MOJO magazine has realeased a couple of Beatles reocords, Abbey Road and Let it Be including new arrangements by different artist. Listening these one will notice that understanding what is good arrangement/approach, varies very much to person by person - some of the MOJO Abbey Road stuff very good, some less good but you always learn by listening/analyzing).

Harry
Thanks Harry for taking your time to write a very good review. Very constructive.
I played all the drums on my Roland TD-9KX using mostly Superior Drummer sounds. I'm mainly a guitar player so I agree on the timing issue.
I recorded every voice (no samples) and of course my voice is very different to Beatles. I'm also happy with the backing vocals.
Thanks again!

This is a very impressive project, but unless you've got permission from the copyright holder it's probably not legal. If that's the case the download links will have to be removed, which will be a shame but KVR's rule is that copyright must be respected. If someone else performed music you composed without your permission, and you declined to give them the okay, I'd do the same thing for you.

None of that keeps me from feeling bad about telling you this, especially after what was clearly a huge amount of work. But I've got to try to implement the rules of KVR impartially as I can.

[edit] From another thread involving covers of copyrighted songs, here's a link to a forum where copyright law is discussed. Ask about the legality over there and see what they say. I'm no expert so I can't advise you on this properly.

http://www.intelproplaw.com/Forum/Forum ... =copyright
Last edited by Meffy on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

These songs are very convincing reproduction, and I think it sounds fantastic. In order to have the tracks merge better, you might want to put this project together as a CD.

I loved it. It was clearly a labour of love from a real fan. It reminded me what a masterpiece the original is. Thanks for sharing.

Meffy wrote:This is a very impressive project, but unless you've got permission from the copyright holder it's probably not legal. If that's the case the download links will have to be removed, which will be a shame but KVR's rule is that copyright must be respected. If someone else performed music you composed without your permission, and you declined to give them the okay, I'd do the same thing for you.

None of that keeps me from feeling bad about telling you this, especially after what was clearly a huge amount of work. But I've got to try to implement the rules of KVR impartially as I can.

[edit] From another thread involving covers of copyrighted songs, here's a link to a forum where copyright law is discussed. Ask about the legality over there and see what they say. I'm no expert so I can't advise you on this properly.

http://www.intelproplaw.com/Forum/Forum ... =copyright
Wow, I didn' know I needes permission to share my covers, even when I'm not making any money out of it.
I will surely follow your advice and ask on the forum you recommend and if I get a negative answer I will remove the links immediately.
My intention is just to get opinions on my work but first of all, to respect the work of the artist I love an the rules of this fabulous forum.
I'll post the link to the question on the copyright forum in a minute.
Please let me know you are ok with this.

[edit] The copyright forum is out of service for today, I'll send my question tomorrow first time in the morning.
Last edited by alejandrozalaquett on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You know, it's an incredible achievement. I would be really interested in seeing a track by track breakdown of what elements you used to recreate these tracks. Taking up on the university point made earlier, these tracks, as training materials, showing how all the parts went together, would be an incredible resource to publish. As a piece of art, it is a really good tribute to the Beatles. Great work.
My music is a fusion of jazz and funk. It's called "Junk"

Return to “Music Cafe”