Finally! THE BEST MOST AUTHENTIC RHODES on the market-hands down! What do you think?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://any1particular.opendrive.com/fil ... 20Spot.mp3

http://any1particular.opendrive.com/fil ... 20Spot.mp3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDrxErdoC5A

WOW!!!! I just bought this outstanding product a couple of dayz ago (http://neosoulsuitcase.com/) and I'm Kompletely blown away with it's quality and authenticity! Finally! The power of A REAL Rhodes hangen out right there on my hard drive-waiting for me to funk wit it-you know what I'm sayen bra?

This is THE BEST MOST AUTHENTIC RHODES on the market-hands down!!!!

In case anyone's interested-I threw this NeoSoul Rhodes jam together right out of the box-just using the first two pianos in there-it is performed in real time with a midi guitar into Ableton Live 8. The sloppy bass would be your's truly :)

Do you agree or am I just easily excitable? :)

That piano sounds sweet Chuck. I guess there is something to be said for gainful employment!

So what are you using for the bass on here? It sounds good to me.

Sounds very cool Chuck. You get extra bonus points for authenticity because you played it on a guitar!
Great Mock up!
;-)

seismic1 wrote:That piano sounds sweet Chuck. I guess there is something to be said for gainful employment!

So what are you using for the bass on here? It sounds good to me.
Hey Tim! :)

Thanks for 'clicking' in! :^/

The bass I just bought less than 4 dayz ago off of ebay $185? It
s a Fender Squire Classic Vibe-I'm loving it. This is my second recording attempt ever at plying bass? I'm NOT a bass player? But it sure is fun trying!!!

I'm getting more and more interested in recording real instruments-it's not as hard as I had thought? I just bought a ribbon mic as well-haven't fired it up yet?

There's this new youtube paradigm of 'home records' being born that is really inspirational-to me at least? Mostly Californians as far as I can tell-pretty cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLr9RyDji8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2wtxFMh ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Z7xceSLy4

Dr.Wu wrote:Sounds very cool Chuck. You get extra bonus points for authenticity because you played it on a guitar!
Great Mock up!
;-)
The Doctor's in da HOUSE ya'll!!! :)

Thank you so much Hans. :)

Exorcize your freedom and VOTE NOW! :help:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38#4653938

Some great videos there. I especially like "Superman's Song" by Nataly Dawn. What an arrangement!

add one more very happy customer for the neosoul rhodes. since i bought my copy i've put it on nearly everything--just about a perfect instrument as far as i'm concerned.

as for this piece, i just love that groove at the start. that's some heavyweight funk to be sure. the bass playing sounds pretty right on to me as well; i guess with all your guitar skills it must be fairly intuitive to pick up because it sounds really nice. and the keyboard solo is all kinds of groovy; if you hadn't mentioned that it was recorded using a midi guitar i would never have guessed. all told, a very nice arrangement. could have been quite a bit longer.

I bought a cheapy 4 string Squire P-Bass Special (the ones with a Jazz pickup in the bridge) from my friend who gave up playing bass years ago. He still has a 5 string version of it too that might still be for sale if he hasn't gotten rid of it yet. I am definitely not a bass player and only get it out for recording, and I try and get funky with it. Adds more of a lively organic vibe as opposed to synth/sampled midi bass lines.

What kind of ribbon mic did you get and where? My friend bought a Cascade Fathead ribbon mic a few years ago direct from their site, and it's definitely quality bang for the buck. I'd sure love myself a Royer 121 or the M160 though.

You should get yourself a cheap large diaphragm condenser mic next.

Good god y'all... awesome groove Chuck! :) Yeah that ep sounds pretty good, I actually thought you could thicken it up a bit. I'd love to get a bass myself, sounds like you got a good deal. 8)
Image Image

seismic1 wrote:Some great videos there. I especially like "Superman's Song" by Nataly Dawn. What an arrangement!
It is nice isn't it Tim. :) I'm glad we got to share that. And it's inspirational knowing they did it at home with relatively modest means? If you like the music be sure to check out there other nice tunes and vids on their youtube channels. :)

Oh and I did sell a house thank you very much....a bit of spare change changeling round my pocket...squire bass....ribbon mic....pic up for acoustic guitar...psychiatric therapy...
jopy wrote:add one more very happy customer for the neosoul rhodes. since i bought my copy i've put it on nearly everything--just about a perfect instrument as far as I'm concerned.

as for this piece, i just love that groove at the start. that's some heavyweight funk to be sure. the bass playing sounds pretty right on to me as well; i guess with all your guitar skills it must be fairly intuitive to pick up because it sounds really nice. and the keyboard solo is all kinds of groovy; if you hadn't mentioned that it was recorded using a midi guitar i would never have guessed. all told, a very nice arrangement. could have been quite a bit longer.
Very cool Johann! So you already are hip to this bad boy? Hmmm and come to think of it I remember hearing nices Rhodzy sounds on your tracks :^/

Thanks for the positive 'click' dude! Much appreciated!
metalifuxx wrote:I bought a cheapy 4 string Squire P-Bass Special (the ones with a Jazz pickup in the bridge) from my friend who gave up playing bass years ago. He still has a 5 string version of it too that might still be for sale if he hasn't gotten rid of it yet. I am definitely not a bass player and only get it out for recording, and I try and get funky with it. Adds more of a lively organic vibe as opposed to synth/sampled midi bass lines.

What kind of ribbon mic did you get and where? My friend bought a Cascade Fathead ribbon mic a few years ago direct from their site, and it's definitely quality bang for the buck. I'd sure love myself a Royer 121 or the M160 though.

You should get yourself a cheap large diaphragm condenser mic next.
Hey metal-thanks for clicking in (I love saying that-can you tell?).

Yeah.....that whole Fender Squire series are surprisingly high quality and the Classic Vibe series is quite good...I'm going to pick up a CV strat and f@ck with it-pick ups-frets-change the pods and pic ups to American made bla bla bla.
I'm an eager beaver to learn more.
I'm REALLY a newbie to this recording biz-but I'm way interested. I'll have to give the Royer 121/M160 a check.

You know. I had done way too much research on these cheap Chinese mic shootouts. I had decided on the fathead. But then I saw a bunch of guys on gearslutz raving about the MXL-R40 and nabbed it for $68.00 including shipping???? That's just crazy! And it looks great and is supposed to sound great as well. How in the heck do they make and ship it across the ocean and it ends up at my door for 68 bucks?

Large diaphragm mic-I'm not hip to that? Any1particular? Get it? hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa3pnaJSK7o

polyslax wrote:Good god y'all... awesome groove Chuck! :) Yeah that ep sounds pretty good, I actually thought you could thicken it up a bit. I'd love to get a bass myself, sounds like you got a good deal. 8)
Hey Matt thanks!

Yeah. The bass. Actually there's a sweet story behind it.

I had been thinking of picking up a cheap fender squire bass and went on ebay in search. I sent an email to a guy that had one posted and happened to live in Michigan-my state? I asked him if he would take 150$$$ for it-I think he had a starting bid of like $125. Well he apologized and said that he was attached to the bass-he raved about the Classic Vibe series-highly recommended-he said he wanted close to $300 for it-they're $350 new? Well he was way kind enough to send me a link to another one from a guy in Ohio who had one for sale. So I put a bid in at $185 and forgot about it. In the mean time I had found a regular squire on craig's list for 80 bucks that I was all set to buy. Well I get this email from ebay informing me I won!!!!! I was all like-oh no! Now what have I done???

Well as it turns out it is a very nice bass and i'm just all warm and fuzzy-just happy as a pig in shit about it...mmmm nice aye?

Am I rambling again?

Annnnnnnyyyyyywwwwaaaaayyyyy. Thanks for clicking in Matt!!!

That is so funky and so fun - great stuff :)

As for the bass playing, as a guitarist who plays bass I know how hard it is to not sound like a guitarist playing bass (I'm sure you'll know what I mean) and you've really nailed it here. Respect is due - to you - well, adieu :)

mikusan wrote:That is so funky and so fun - great stuff :)

As for the bass playing, as a guitarist who plays bass I know how hard it is to not sound like a guitarist playing bass (I'm sure you'll know what I mean) and you've really nailed it here. Respect is due - to you - well, adieu :)
Hey Mike! Very cool of you to take the time to post. Much appreciated.

Man. It's kind of funny because the track was inspired by the Neo Soul Rhodes Suitcase sample collection I had just purchased and most of the comments are about the bass??? And it is brand new to me. I'm really quite flattered.

Hey. I'm listening to SingingMountains now from you soundcloud. I really like the second half of the track. I Like that chorusy guitar! Sort of Pink Floyd esk???? What are you using to get that sound?

Thanks again!!!

Peace. :)

Thanks for the listen and the comments, Chuck -

Well, the closing solo was played on an OLP copy of the John Petrucci MusicMan which is a lovely guitar, and all the other 6-string guitar parts were played on a Cort X-6 which looks like a metal-head guitar but is really versatile. The bass was a Westfield (copy of a Warwick I think) - another cheapo but I think it can be persuaded to sound pretty good. The amp simulations and guitar fx were all courtesy of a Line6 TonePort.

No animals were harmed during the recording session (although I did kick the neighbours' cat shortly after but that's another story) :hihi:

FINALLY!!!!! YOU OPTED FOR A SOLO!!!!! About damn time!!!
And those jazzy voicings are to die for of course - in terms of chord progressions this is by far your jazziest piece - at least for a great while.

And the neo Soul rhodes - well if I didn't have my Kurzweil PC3x I would definitely look into these. Mighty fine indeed.
Interesting with the comments about the bass. It sounds real and it is real. That's why we love it :lol: (I have an old crappy Washburn gathering dust in the corner. Bought it back in 1992 maybe it's time to pull it out?)

Return to “Music Cafe”