Please, help me sort out some songs...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!
I made these songs back in the mid '90s with an ASR-10 loaded with samples from my Korg analog synths, etc., and they were part of a selection that I used to occasionally play live. Nowadays I play other songs that I made more recently. However, I sometimes wonder if these 2 (among a few others) would still be playable... or maybe they sound too dated and I should not include them in my present live selection... what do you think?
Tribal Planet -- 5'02"
Two Million Light-Years -- 5'22"
Last edited by Axis1~SL61 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

what???... 433 views and not a single answer??... :o c'mon guys, I don't mind if you trash these 2 songs, I have 200 more to chose from -- say something! :)

Tribal Planet:

It is very simplistic and repetitious.. the melody sounds as if it was made for a childrens show. The percussion is a bit boring as it does the same little loop over and over and over. Once it gets going I think the melody would make for a great 2d scroller or cutesy rpg game.

Two Million Lightyears:

Ah this one I liked. Old school psy-trance... the melodies, the sound effects, the bassline, the pad, the vocal clips.. they all work well together. It needs some revising sound-wise imo. The kick drum is a bit weak.. needs more snap or punch. The hi-hat is a bit too sharp. The bassline could use more beef.. the whole song I think could use more polish. But I like the idea going on here.. it is well done.

VitaminD wrote:Tribal Planet:

It is very simplistic and repetitious.. the melody sounds as if it was made for a childrens show. The percussion is a bit boring as it does the same little loop over and over and over. Once it gets going I think the melody would make for a great 2d scroller or cutesy rpg game.

Two Million Lightyears:

Ah this one I liked. Old school psy-trance... the melodies, the sound effects, the bassline, the pad, the vocal clips.. they all work well together. It needs some revising sound-wise imo. The kick drum is a bit weak.. needs more snap or punch. The hi-hat is a bit too sharp. The bassline could use more beef.. the whole song I think could use more polish. But I like the idea going on here.. it is well done.
I agree with this. I didn't like the first track very much but the second one (Two Million Lightyears) has the basics in place. If you haven't done so already, dig out a copy of "Twisted" by Hallucinogen to see where you need to take the track sonically.

Thanks, VitaminD and seismic1, very helpfull insight -- I will try to make a remix of "Two Million LightYears" following your advice. Good to know it's still a valid song after all these years 8) , as that's something I always find difficult to decide by myself.

Return to “Music Cafe”