What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

LFO's

Official support for: studio-units.com

Moderators: pallalalla, stuartdavis

KVRist

30 posts since 31 Mar, 2006

Postby stuartdavis; Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:17 am

We have been asked about creating LFO's in Studio Units, so I will attempt to describe a possible solution here.

To create a simple LFO for a plugin parameter, you just need to create an SU effect patch containing an SU transform with the following equation:

freq;amp;
lfo=sin(2*PI*BLOCK_TIME*freq)*0.5*amp+0.5

This will generate a parameter called lfo that varies sinusoidally with an amplitude of amp and a frequency of freq. If you double-click on the SU transform in the editor, the three parameters freq, amp and lfo will be shown in a new tab. You can now set freq and amp and watch lfo modulate. The parameter names lfo, freq and amp are completely arbitrary. You can change lfo to be the name of a parameter in another VST and then connect the parameter output (green) of the SU transform to the parameter input of another VST, which will then have this particular parameter enslaved to your LFO.
KVRer

3 posts since 1 Nov, 2007

Postby DJTreeno; Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:44 am

Hi, thanks for the answer to my question.
But why change of parametre "freq" lead to distortion of a wave.
It is visible on SU scope.
KVRist

Postby stuartdavis; Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:09 am

This is because changing the frequency has the unwanted effect of changing the phase of the LFO. I can't think of an easy way to make freq smoothly variable with the current set of SU modules.

It would probably make more sense for Studio Units to provide an LFO module. I will add a 'new feature requests' thread to the forum and put this at the top of the list. Thanks.
KVRer

Postby DJTreeno; Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:15 am

And to you thanks for a prompt reply!
Please make good LFO.
With impatience I will wait!
KVRer

Postby DJTreeno; Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:22 am

Please prompt as to transform a signal from tone generator to parameter. Afterwards to assign it on any knob.
KVRist

Postby stuartdavis; Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:56 am

The following SU transform equation will do that for you:

~1;knob=$rms

where knob is the name of the parameter you want to control - this will be set to the Root Mean Squared value of the audio input.

Or as an alternative:

~1;knob=$peak

will set the parameter knob to the peak value of the audio input.

Moderators: pallalalla, stuartdavis

Return to Studio Units