A small "Waveterm" for Terratec Komplexer (and other products)

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is crazy good. :)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

V-GER wrote:Hi,

nice update - love how much better the wavetables sound now while still retaining that lovely retrovibe. And the wavedrawing is supernice. :) Only little issue for me (possibly intended somehow from your side): I've done some very basic treatment of a wavetable in Wavosaur (filtering and db clipping) and saved that edited version in the "03 KTERM - Wavetables (Audio, WAV)" subfolder of the data folder - where it in IMO belongs. Loop points remained the same, absolutely no change in length of file or anything besides basic filtering and rudimentery distortion + normalization. I got pretty concerned when Vaz Modular couldn't find the file as I later attempted to reopen a patch and some variations on that patch - it turned out Audio-Term for some reason moves the wavetable from "03 KTERM - Wavetables (Audio, WAV)" to "01 Samples (WAV)". Copying it back offcourse didn't work as it was re-moved upon next launch of Audio-Term. Do you have any explanaition for this? Is there anything I can do to ensure the wavetable remains in the intended folder as it's a bit inconvenient to have those files moving around, and if they for some reason have to could there at least be a clear message when this happens?

Could the editing have messed with some kind of included non-audio data in the file or something like that perhaps?

Otherwise it's thumbs up as usual, I really like this tool! Looking forward to a little more documentation, the morphing and some other functions remain a bit mysterious to me (but I'd really love to dive in there)...
Indeed the reason is that a KTERM wavetable consists of more than the wave data. The 'smpl' chunk includes additional data: KTERM___, followed by the 2112 harmonic values in logarithmic format and the playback speed data for the editor.

Harmonic data are stored to avoid data loss on reloading the wavetables. Most wavetable software works with 64/128/256/512/1024 wavetable entries, but Komplexer (and KTERM) use 33. When rendering - say - a 64 slice wavetable you can't make a 33*2 calculation, because the result would be 66. So it does a kind of interpolation and truncation to build a acceptable 64 wavetable from the 33 source slices.

Speed data are needed for a good recognition of what you're listening to. An example: When you resynthesize a short "Blah" sample and would later prelisten or load it in the browser, it would be difficult to recognize when the short "Blah" suddenly becomes a 20 second "BLAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH".

Further the harmonic and speed data are used for prelistening in the browser. When you save a WT on F0 with 1024 WT entries, it would 1. take forever to listen to the content and 2. the sound would be only a bass growl. That's the reason why the prelistening function needs these data.

And it's the reason why there are not further options like changing the bit depht: KTERM is a kind of simple emulation of the additive part of the Komplexer engine and cannot do such things.

The solution would be a new section where you can load KTERM wavetables, edit things like panning curves for each harmonic, switch of interpolation or changing the resolution. But this would mean, this sort of file would not be reloadable in KTERM, because such kind of editing cannot be build from 64 sinewaves. All in all not a smart solution, but I don't want to offer editing capabilities in KTERM which are lost when the user loads them in Komplexer.

I had to implement this very strict file sorting to speed up the browsers, to keep the code simple and to make sure that the assembling/filter import pages are not corrupted by normal samples (because samples need analysis and processing, which can't be done within these two pages). On-the-fly resynthesis is only available for single cycles (there's not much to adjust).

thanks for the update !

This looks bloody awesome :O

I have a question - is there (or will there be) an option to change the color from green to something else? I think I'd much rather like a black-white or black-gray contrast than this, for longer periods of work.

Much obliged.

EDIT: LOL, I have only now noticed that I've asked this on the very first page. Sorry! :)

At the moment (current version is 1.53) there's only one alternate color mode implemented. There's a button "CRT_LCD" in the main menu, which changes the GUI to a blue/white scheme.

I'll put further modes on my "to do" list, but it's a very long list: Further plans include supporting 8Bit Samples/Waveforms, re - design of the SLOOP and XMRPH modules, more flexible playback engine and support for the Doepfer A112 and "2D wavetable" modules like Piston Honda.
Last edited by blacktomcat666 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

where can the latest version be obtained? :)

thanx

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/26 ... o-Term.zip

Current version is 1.53, which introduces automatic update notification. Updated versions can be obtained using the link above or by clicking on "UPDATE" in the main menu.

By the way, version 1.54 is nearly finished (speed improvements, support for 8Bit wave files... ). The software will tell you, when it's available. ;)

you da man! :)

thanx again for your great work, its much appreciated.

cheers!

1.56 is available

Is this file not in Windows .dll format? I'm on Mac and was hoping I could use this with V Machine, but I think it has to be in .dll format. Any chance for this to be available in that format or better yet, in a Mac format?

What once was a really useful sound editing tool, has become a really serious, creative, komplex [;)], and exciting sound mangling tool. :cool:

It still reminds me of Fairlight, as well as Waveterm, but this is better. :hihi:

I've just updated to v1.61 and felt the need to comment on it. :D

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I have just updated to v1.69 and... Where is the "backlight" option? :( I like more contrast, and I adore the green on black theme :cool: , no - I worship it. :hihi:

Does Audio-Term create some kind of an editable file I can edit and set the "backlight" permanently to "off"? After looking through directories, well, it does, but it doesn't look editable. Maybe with Hex editor. :D Did you get rid of the "backlight" option completely?

Thank you for the update! :D Almost every time when I want to play with the wavetables, there is an update waiting.

I'd never thought that someone misses the backlight button. :D I put this on my list for one of the next updates. Version 1.71 will be online soon and include an improved version of the sample resynthesis algorithm and fixes for some nasty gui bugs, too.

One thing I had to disable: The speed storage for WT files - with speed data included the WT import of IL Harmor doesn't work. May be IL changes this one day, allowing some extra bytes to the harmonic data (to be honest, I don't think they'll do it). Further it would be great if they'd implement support for the polarity of the WT file data, too. At the moment, WT files are only supported as images (what means that phase information gets lost) and the results are... :?.

Last but not least a video showing the sample to wavetable conversion on different types of sounds (Bells, Sweeps, Noises,Voice...):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pifmp8wqeEQ

Great news about the new 1.7 version, blacktomcat! Thank you! I'm so glad you didn't stop developing this quite unique and original editor. Sexy looking, too. ;)

Hmmm, you actually made me want to check out the IL Harmor, and see what it's all about. I think IL instruments are pretty great, and I use Sytrus occasionally, and Autogun. :D

Thank you so much for considering giving us back the "backlight" option. :D It's a shame that you don't use some kind of an editable file for storing some options, it would help to not clutter the app itself with unnecessary "set and forget" options. ;)

Nice educative video! :D That green just looks so great, and it's non-distracting, if you know what I mean... people spend too much time looking at, and worrying about the GUI these days, instead of focusing on the work and sound.

To be honest, programming AT is a kind of programming lesson to me - that's the reason why there are so many updates and changes (and the main reason for bugs :D).

By the way, the choice of the GUI was not a 'decision', but a factual constraint: The only graphics library I can deal with at the moment is WINBGIM. That's a windows port of the old MSDOS Turbo C BGI graphics library, which is slow and very basic, but also very simple. But to program something with an 1984 PPG/Fairlight/Synclavier terminal interface it's quite perfect.

One of the later updates will also include a separate utility page to hide the "set and forget" options from the main menu (at least color, xy position and the sound device choice + some more options which may follow in future).

Return to “Soundware”