Iron Ocean - Mikusan goes uptempo again

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's my latest addition to the concept album. A lot more going on in this track than my last one - consequently a bit harder to mix.

Anyways, here's a bit of old-school(at least, that's what I was going for)drum'n'bass for yer lug'oles:

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/93weyqnof ... _mix02.mp3

and on soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/mikusan/iron-ocean

As always, any and all comments/critiques much appreciated :)

Nice piece. This is a very solid piece of work. The sound selection/creation is excellent. I particularly like how you blended the drums into the mix, neither too indistinct nor too much in front. You are now officially on my "to watch" list. Very good all the way around.

Nice work Mike. Really cool sounds and dreamy listening. I definitely think this has an Ozric Tentacles vibe about it. Those synth washes are terrific over the top of the rhythm section.

8)

This is an amazing track Mike. Love the upbeat mood... those groovy parts just hit the spot. 8)
Image Image

brilliant tune! i get a definite Ozrics vibe from this too. it takes me back to a time of much skunk and tennants super :D wonderful!

neil.

JJBiener wrote:...You are now officially on my "to watch" list...
:oops: yer too kind

Seriously, thanks JJB :D

seismic1 wrote:Nice work Mike. Really cool sounds and dreamy listening. I definitely think this has an Ozric Tentacles vibe about it. Those synth washes are terrific over the top of the rhythm section.

8)
Cheers Tim - I think I probably share some musical (and chemical :oops: in my misspent youth) influences with the Ozrics (Gong particularly, Hawkwind, widdly guitar in general) so that's probably what's coming through here, subconsciously...wish I could do it consciously too, but it doesn't seem to work that way... :?

Thanks for the comments (those on the 'cloud too) - glad you liked it :D

polyslax wrote:This is an amazing track Mike. Love the upbeat mood... those groovy parts just hit the spot. 8)
Hey thanks Matt :oops:

Nice to be complimented on my grooves from someone who has such a command of da groove :D

(and thanks for the 'cloud comments too)

macmurphy wrote:brilliant tune! i get a definite Ozrics vibe from this too. it takes me back to a time of much skunk and tennants super :D wonderful!

neil.
Heh - busted :hihi:

(See my reply to seismic1 ref the Ozrics influence 8) )

Seriously, thanks Neil for the listen and the kind words :D

Lovely tune, it has an amazing drive. :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

core wrote:Lovely tune, it has an amazing drive. :tu:
:D Dank u Ronnie :D

Very nice! Definitely hearing the Hawkwind/Ozrics connection, which has to be a good thing in my book :)

And I agree with JJBiener, the mix is great, everything is there but nothing is overpowering.

Very cool track! Lovely grooves...

The only thing I found that perhaps could be adressed is that when the bass starts getting more active I can definitely hear the whole mix pumping slightly. Do you have a wideband compressor over the masterbus perhaps? It's audible when the kick is a bit more powerful as well. Sometimes this is used to good effect, but I don't feel it has a place in this track. It detracts a bit for me, apart from that the sound balance is nice and it's a lovely tune.

kryptonaut wrote:Very nice! Definitely hearing the Hawkwind/Ozrics connection, which has to be a good thing in my book :)

And I agree with JJBiener, the mix is great, everything is there but nothing is overpowering.
:D Thanks k, the compliments about the mix are especially pleasing because it's the one thing I struggle with, particularly when there are lots of elements in there. And I'll happily take the Hawkwind/Ozrics comparison any day :D

Programentalist wrote:Very cool track! Lovely grooves...

The only thing I found that perhaps could be adressed is that when the bass starts getting more active I can definitely hear the whole mix pumping slightly. Do you have a wideband compressor over the masterbus perhaps? It's audible when the kick is a bit more powerful as well. Sometimes this is used to good effect, but I don't feel it has a place in this track. It detracts a bit for me, apart from that the sound balance is nice and it's a lovely tune.
Hmmm, not sure how that came about - there's no sidechaining(as you rightly say, it doesn't belong in this kind of track). There is a multiband compressor on the master bus, but I tried to keep it pretty subtle (2:1 ratio, 2-3db gain reduction, no make-up gain). Maybe it's interacting with the compression on the submixes (again, fairly subtle peak-taming). Or maybe it's CamelPhat on the bassline and the drums (two separate instances, different settings, but maybe...) - it's the first time I've used it, perhaps I overdid it :D I'll try a couple of things: toning down the CamelPhat effect(maybe parallel processing?) or maybe setting up a 'sub-master' with the multiband compression on everything except the drums and bass (retreats, stroking chin...)

Thanks for listening and commenting :)

Return to “Music Cafe”