What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  
KVRist

192 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Postby themachinelt; Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:27 am

Does anyone else thinks that?
KVRAF

1955 posts since 1 Feb, 2009, from Germany

Postby Cyforce; Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 am

Defintive not!

For example the big soundbanks, with 150 Patches, where all patches also containing 8 variations, so 1200 sound variations in total, for 49.00€.
I think a more than fair price.
Based on the mass of top notch sounds, the additional variations and also included sample content.
ImageImage
OUT NOW: SPIRE EVOLUTION VOL.1 (90 EDM SPIRE PRESETS)
KVRAF

7189 posts since 3 Feb, 2003, from Finland, Espoo

Postby bmanic; Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:39 am

You must consider the amount of work it takes to create an alchemy sound set!!

This is not a "tweak 10 minutes and end up with a professional preset" synth. Not even close. It takes a long time to tweak even relatively simple sounds and to assign meaningful controls with good ranges for the performance section.

Even though Camel Audio do pay a generous amount per preset it is still sometimes hard to justify the amount of time it takes to create good presets for Alchemy.. simply because it has so many variables and potential for tweaking. I also need to learn how to be quicker in my sound design but that comes with experience and I'm far from being a professional when it comes to this! Which reminds me.. Nico (Big Tone!) and the rest of you professionals, do you have any tips/tricks on how to become quicker? Would it be worth "investing" some time in creating a large batch of templates for various tasks and use these as starting points? I always start from the "clean" preset but have lately found that a bit annoying as I need to constantly do some simple things over and over again.

Anyhow, I'd say the sound banks border from ridiculously good value to very good value, depending on set. For instance the Biolabs set (Colin of Camel Audio) contains an almost infinite variation to it's sounds through the performance controllers meaning it is like getting a whole new synth.

Cheers!
bManic
Last edited by bmanic on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember the iLokalypse June 10 - June 22 2013 - Dominus"
KVRAF

2813 posts since 28 Jun, 2009, from Wherever I lay my hat

Postby ariston; Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:40 am

FWIW: I think they're expensive, yes, but not "too" expensive. That would mean they wouldn't offer value for money, which they really do. I don't usually buy presets, but I own three of the expansions and am really happy with them. I especially appreciate the additional sampled content, which is something you don't get with most synth expansions.
KVRAF

1955 posts since 1 Feb, 2009, from Germany

Postby Cyforce; Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:53 am

A complete alchemy soundbank with 150 sounds/1200 variations is a big big big amount of work. Alone through that, the price is ok.

And please always mind - quality has a price.

If the Camel Audio soundbanks would sounding cheap or something ok than they would be over-priced, but they are really good, so the price looks maybe high, but is on a very good balance.
ImageImage
OUT NOW: SPIRE EVOLUTION VOL.1 (90 EDM SPIRE PRESETS)
KVRAF

6885 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:14 am

Maybe... I've never purchased one and probably never will. I found pretty early on that one could replace their lack luster samples with ones of your own, tweak a bit and viola, you've got a new sound. Never seemed to be a reason to pay someone else to do that. I've listend to the demos and none ever made me say, "Gotta get that."
Zerocrossing Media
http://www.zerocrossing.net
4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
KVRist

233 posts since 16 Oct, 2007, from Ukraine

Postby runray; Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:02 pm

zerocrossing wrote:I've listend to the demos and none ever made me say, "Gotta get that."

Have you any example of such situation for other synth (in the same price category)? :)
RADO Records (Nick Moritz) - GUI Design, Sound Design, Music Production
KVRAF

4078 posts since 16 Feb, 2005, from Kingston, Jamaica

Postby zvenx; Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:25 pm

I think spectrasonics and to an extent u-he has spoiled me with all the free patches with updates.....however I still don't think camel audio soundsets are too expensive.......especially when you consider they put them on sale and give you bonus points etc.....

rsp
KVRist

483 posts since 11 Sep, 2008, from Canada

Postby Doug B; Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:11 pm

themachinelt wrote:Does anyone else thinks that?

No, Why? Just because someone can't afford the price doesn't mean the sets aren't worth it!
KVRian

940 posts since 26 Nov, 2005

Postby JJBiener; Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:18 pm

I have several Camel Audio soundsets. They are consistently among the most useful sounds I have bought. Granted I have never paid full price for a soundset, but that is only because I have managed to find good deals on the ones I wanted. There are several I would have paid full price if I had to, but fortunately I got good deals. There are several more I plan on buying in the future. I think they are worth the money.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.
KVRian

1294 posts since 11 Jun, 2005, from Phoenix, Arizona

Postby UncleAge; Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Too expensive? Depends really... I own a few of them. I use them more for learning how to program different things. So in my mind they were worth every penny. However if I bought 10 of them @ 50 a pop and add in the price of the synth and controller I am still far below any hardware synth that would deliver the same amount of sounds and programmability. So "too expensive" is not a term I would use.

I still have a couple that I want to add to the stable but I keep forgetting to head over there and make the purchase. @OP: thanks for posting this thread. It's a good reminder for me to get those couple of sound sets.
KVRist

329 posts since 27 Nov, 2011

Postby padillac; Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:51 pm

themachinelt wrote:Does anyone else thinks that?

I've had way too much fun with them to think that
KVRist

487 posts since 14 Jun, 2006, from Espoo / Finland

Postby filter303; Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:16 am

I am an Alchemy user myself and I must admit that I have found myself to be a bit disapointed with some of the expansions that I have bought.
There are expansions that don't have almost any additional sample data, and yet they cost 49euros. Sorry but this is not a reasonable price in my experience.

EG: arp dimensions. total 10 synth samples in wav format and some drum samples. Price 49€.

With this kind of price tag I would have expected to see more .sfz files.
Expansions that don't have many samples are not worth this amount of money IMO. Half of the price would be much more reasonable.

Expansions that that use existing samples mostly should be more like 20€. It's about the same price as many other VSTi banks cost. Why it should be any different with Alchemy?
I am not buying that "It's more complicated" reasoning.

Simon Stockhausens banks are much better bang for the money IMO. They cost about the same but have lot more of recorded material.

I have been also a bit disapointed in Alchemy sound quality.
Many of the presets have this ugly "plastic" quality in them.
They sound OK when you play them in isolation, but in the full mix they don't sound so good.
Not all of the presets but some of them.
I love the sound of the new filters, so my guess is that the blame is not them, but rather because many sounds are using a single wav file for the entire keyrange.

If I compare Alchemy to Omnisphere preset wise. Alchemy sounds like a 90's rompler. I am not talking about features but the sound itself. You also pay so much more to get less patches and less sample data.

People must be swimming in money if they think these expansions have a good price/features ratio.
Some of them do, but unfortunately many of them do not.

With a 49€/expansion price tag I expected to get so much more.

I personally like their audio demos. I used to spend tons of time listening them when I was at work. And they were the reason why I bought them.

Now that I think about it I really wish there was a way to try them out before buying them.
I also wish Camel Audio could show the amount of samples per expansion in their webshop.
KVRAF

3631 posts since 1 Oct, 2006, from Um! Where is this?

Postby Resonator63; Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:25 am

I think the pricing is reasonable.Would cost a fortune to buy them all though :)
KVRAF

4120 posts since 14 Nov, 2008, from UK

Postby breakmixer; Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:37 am

filter303 wrote:I have been also a bit disapointed in Alchemy sound quality.
Many of the presets have this ugly "plastic" quality in them.
They sound OK when you play them in isolation, but in the full mix they don't sound so good.
Not all of the presets but some of them.
I love the sound of the new filters, so my guess is that the blame is not them, but rather because many sounds are using a single wav file for the entire keyrange.

If I compare Alchemy to Omnisphere preset wise. Alchemy sounds like a 90's rompler. I am not talking about features but the sound itself. You also pay so much more to get less patches and less sample data.

I don't agree with this, Alchemy has become my no.1 VST synth, the sounds 'IMO' are mostly very good and some of the best I've heard coming from a VSTi. After buying Himalaya Vintage this went to show how excellent this really can be, vintage synth sounds that sound 100% authentic to my ears, I'm a very happy user, it calmed down my GAS too...

I think the soundbanks are a little expensive to buy for 'my pocket', so I only buy the ones that totally interest me and mostly(but not always)wait for the promotions too. I'm still to buy the Electronic Bass pack. :)

For what it's worth I prefer Alchemy to Trilian for synth bass atm...
Next

Moderators: ZenPunkHippy, ugo, biomechanoid, Ben [Camel Audio]

Return to Camel Audio