What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Update: Cubase 6.5 available (49,99€)

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

C-note
KVRian
 
1454 posts since 2 Apr, 2006, from Studio City, California

Postby C-note; Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:55 pm

This is a very nice update indeed!
CS80
KVRian
 
887 posts since 5 Jun, 2005

Postby CS80; Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:56 pm

I just bought the update from c6 to 6.5 full, but the mac link says "Artist"? Is that right?
User avatar
bduffy
KVRAF
 
19389 posts since 13 Feb, 2003, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby bduffy; Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm a little surprised by this - we've never paid for point-upgrades before, have we?

And if I buy Cubase 6 right now, do I have to buy this upgrade on top of it?
Image
Sequent
KVRAF
 
2547 posts since 13 Feb, 2001, from What do you care? :)

Postby Sequent; Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

bduffy wrote:I'm a little surprised by this - we've never paid for point-upgrades before, have we?

And if I buy Cubase 6 right now, do I have to buy this upgrade on top of it?


I believe this is the first time that we are being asked for pay for a point upgrade. But at least $49 is not that much. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Adobe 5.5 point upgrade was.

As of right now you can no longer buy Cubase 6. If you buy it from a dealer then I would guess you would fall into the grace period... which would be free.

I'm still on Cubase 5 and I'm happy to see that for me the update remains at the same price. At least it didn't go up to $249! If the buzz is good and if the new additions are solid then I will more than likely go for it. The fact that the $199 4/5 > 6.5 pricing remains the same and the fact that they added Padshop into the the mix is a nice bonus. If you're just making music for fun then it may or may not be worth updating this round, but if you're making some sort of income it's possible that the workflow enhancements alone might make it more than worth it.
Spacey stuff: www.myspace.com/sequent7
Cloudy stuff: www.soundcloud.com/sequent7

Available on iTunes and at Amazon.
User avatar
bduffy
KVRAF
 
19389 posts since 13 Feb, 2003, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby bduffy; Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Sequent wrote:
bduffy wrote:I'm a little surprised by this - we've never paid for point-upgrades before, have we?

And if I buy Cubase 6 right now, do I have to buy this upgrade on top of it?


I believe this is the first time that we are being asked for pay for a point upgrade. But at least $49 is not that much. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Adobe 5.5 point upgrade was.

As of right now you can no longer buy Cubase 6. If you buy it from a dealer then I would guess you would fall into the grace period... which would be free.

I'm still on Cubase 5 and I'm happy to see that for me the update remains at the same price. At least it didn't go up to $249! If the buzz is good and if the new additions are solid then I will more than likely go for it. The fact that the $199 4/5 > 6.5 pricing remains the same and the fact that they added Padshop into the the mix is a nice bonus. If you're just making music for fun then it may or may not be worth updating this round, but if you're making some sort of income it's possible that the workflow enhancements alone might make it more than worth it.

Yeah, I'm still on Cubase 5 too, biding my time. Can't wait to upgrade now! I agree, it's a reasonable price, just a little surprised; they've never done this before.

That's what I assumed: if I bought it tomorrow at a store (and we can only buy it a retailers in Canada, anyway), this would qualify for the grace period. I almost upgraded a couple months ago, and I couldn't find an online-purchasable version anywhere.
Image
soundpalace
KVRAF
 
2347 posts since 13 Jul, 2005, from Australia

Postby soundpalace; Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 pm

bduffy wrote:
Sequent wrote:
bduffy wrote:I'm a little surprised by this - we've never paid for point-upgrades before, have we?

And if I buy Cubase 6 right now, do I have to buy this upgrade on top of it?


I believe this is the first time that we are being asked for pay for a point upgrade. But at least $49 is not that much. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Adobe 5.5 point upgrade was.

As of right now you can no longer buy Cubase 6. If you buy it from a dealer then I would guess you would fall into the grace period... which would be free.

I'm still on Cubase 5 and I'm happy to see that for me the update remains at the same price. At least it didn't go up to $249! If the buzz is good and if the new additions are solid then I will more than likely go for it. The fact that the $199 4/5 > 6.5 pricing remains the same and the fact that they added Padshop into the the mix is a nice bonus. If you're just making music for fun then it may or may not be worth updating this round, but if you're making some sort of income it's possible that the workflow enhancements alone might make it more than worth it.

Yeah, I'm still on Cubase 5 too, biding my time. Can't wait to upgrade now! I agree, it's a reasonable price, just a little surprised; they've never done this before.

That's what I assumed: if I bought it tomorrow at a store (and we can only buy it a retailers in Canada, anyway), this would qualify for the grace period. I almost upgraded a couple months ago, and I couldn't find an online-purchasable version anywhere.


Well worth the upgrade to v6 mate, application is way more refined and also looks super pretty :oops:

v6.5 running great here "so far", it's really too soon to tell if it's fully stable but I have finished all my big projects that were "due" so now is a great time to upgrade.

The new effects suck. Filter doesn't have resonance, DJ EQ isn't as good as the ABleton Live one.

However, the VSTis added are very impressive. The anologish synth is actually really nice, very clean sounding oscillators with some warmth, powerful modulation, simple yet nice effects section and a decent amount of flexibility.

Will it replace Sylenth1 or Massive ... God no!! But it definitely will get used.

It's also really low CPU and has a smooth transition to multiple oscillators for the MULTI mode which is something I only have on my Virus TI, cool!

Filters are decent although not mind blowing ... but, it has a 6db/oct filter with resonance which is GREAT, something I miss from good ol Thor in Reason.

Evelnopes sound smooth and lovely.

Main cons are, some of the switches are awkward to change (horizontal action??) ... and the MULTI oscillator isn't quite as wide in the stereo field (easy fixed with Voxengo MSED though).

Padshop I haven't gotten into yet, but the presets sound excellent!! Nice companion to Omnisphere for good atmospheric sounds.

More impressions to follow.
Last edited by soundpalace on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grymmjack
KVRAF
 
9028 posts since 6 Apr, 2003

Postby grymmjack; Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:54 pm

headquest wrote:
LeVzi wrote:So we now pay for a point update regardless of the content, and then are expected again to pay to update to 7 when that comes out.

Wow, talk about milking that Cash Cow. Disgusting attitude tbh. Especially when you actually look at what you get for 40quid.


Actually I think it's a bargain - the two synths are worth way more than that ... EACH. And there are some other genuine goodies in there.

Contrast this with Reason 6 upgrade if you will - having invested a load of cash in both Reason 5 and Record 1.5, the current price for me to upgrade to Reason 6t is 149 euros, for which I would get three new effects and a couple of minor programme improvements. Now that's what I consider an appalling attitude: Steinberg are being very generous here IMHO.


The Reason6 upgrade was pay what you want. You didn't do it then? I paid only $50 for the what you think it's worth approach and feel I drastically underpaid but the props got the $50 and not a competitor.

Not sure why you wouldn't upgrade for the pay what you want?
Deranger604
KVRist
 
159 posts since 18 Jan, 2004, from Portland, OR

Postby Deranger604; Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Amazingly more stable than v5 btw...
User avatar
bduffy
KVRAF
 
19389 posts since 13 Feb, 2003, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby bduffy; Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:56 pm

soundpalace wrote:
bduffy wrote:
Sequent wrote:
bduffy wrote:I'm a little surprised by this - we've never paid for point-upgrades before, have we?

And if I buy Cubase 6 right now, do I have to buy this upgrade on top of it?


I believe this is the first time that we are being asked for pay for a point upgrade. But at least $49 is not that much. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Adobe 5.5 point upgrade was.

As of right now you can no longer buy Cubase 6. If you buy it from a dealer then I would guess you would fall into the grace period... which would be free.

I'm still on Cubase 5 and I'm happy to see that for me the update remains at the same price. At least it didn't go up to $249! If the buzz is good and if the new additions are solid then I will more than likely go for it. The fact that the $199 4/5 > 6.5 pricing remains the same and the fact that they added Padshop into the the mix is a nice bonus. If you're just making music for fun then it may or may not be worth updating this round, but if you're making some sort of income it's possible that the workflow enhancements alone might make it more than worth it.

Yeah, I'm still on Cubase 5 too, biding my time. Can't wait to upgrade now! I agree, it's a reasonable price, just a little surprised; they've never done this before.

That's what I assumed: if I bought it tomorrow at a store (and we can only buy it a retailers in Canada, anyway), this would qualify for the grace period. I almost upgraded a couple months ago, and I couldn't find an online-purchasable version anywhere.


Well worth the upgrade to v6 mate, application is way more refined and also looks super pretty :oops:

Agreed. When I was trying the demo, I could confirm that it runs better than v5 on Snow Leopard, so bring it on (when I can afford it)! :hihi:

Ah! I see you can only buy "Cubase 6.5" from Steinberg now. I wonder if they'll allow me to upgrade now? Steinberg Canada told me to go to a brick-and-mortar store...
Image
mkdr
KVRian
 
1334 posts since 5 May, 2007, from Finland

Postby mkdr; Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Holy upgrade, Batman! :O

Did the Yamaha Vintage Channel Strip come with this? Because I'm running them right now.. after updating to Cubase 6.5 :-o
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi
User avatar
bduffy
KVRAF
 
19389 posts since 13 Feb, 2003, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby bduffy; Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:24 pm

mkdr wrote:Holy upgrade, Batman! :O

Did the Yamaha Vintage Channel Strip come with this? Because I'm running them right now.. after updating to Cubase 6.5 :-o

No. Tell me that's not true...
Image
mkdr
KVRian
 
1334 posts since 5 May, 2007, from Finland

Postby mkdr; Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 pm

bduffy wrote:
mkdr wrote:Holy upgrade, Batman! :O

Did the Yamaha Vintage Channel Strip come with this? Because I'm running them right now.. after updating to Cubase 6.5 :-o

No. Tell me that's not true...


It might not be true.. as I've installed the trial version before, but haven't activated it yet, haven't put the license code to elicenser and to my usb-stick. Now it's working as if it has a license.. Odd.


Edit: Ah ok, silly me. It's running of my "Steinberg, All Applications" license. So the answer is no, it's not included. Darn.. Would've been sweet :)
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi
User avatar
bduffy
KVRAF
 
19389 posts since 13 Feb, 2003, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby bduffy; Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:14 pm

mkdr wrote:
bduffy wrote:
mkdr wrote:Holy upgrade, Batman! :O

Did the Yamaha Vintage Channel Strip come with this? Because I'm running them right now.. after updating to Cubase 6.5 :-o

No. Tell me that's not true...


It might not be true.. as I've installed the trial version before, but haven't activated it yet, haven't put the license code to elicenser and to my usb-stick. Now it's working as if it has a license.. Odd.


Edit: Ah ok, silly me. It's running of my "Steinberg, All Applications" license. So the answer is no, it's not included. Darn.. Would've been sweet :)

OMG. Would've been so good. That YVCS was awesome. One of the best software compressors I've used!
Image
synchronizer
KVRian
 
842 posts since 27 Sep, 2010

Postby synchronizer; Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:23 pm

I've been afraid to update Mac OSX Cubase 6 from version 6.0.0 to any of the other point versions because of all of the troubles people seem to be having. Is 6.0.5 safe? How about the soon-to-be-released 6.0.6? I want the fear of updating to end.

ALSO, does 6.5 use more RAM and CPU than 6.0 does? This is extremely important to me, because my system isn't the "ideal" music system.
User avatar
sqigls
KVRian
 
1375 posts since 24 Dec, 2004, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby sqigls; Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:26 pm

fuk you steinberg
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)