Question about selling NI products?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have NI's retro Machines and was wondering if I can resell it? It wasn't clear to me on NI's site if reselling of their products was allowed. Thanks!

Well apparently I can, but then I'm not sure if I should or not. I have barely touched it since getting it. The Matrix patches are ok. Anyone have any thoughts on this product? Am I missing something good, or am I right for not being very inspired by the collection?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

If its a download version, the answer seems to be NO.

A friend of mine asked NI how he could transfer license of Scarbee Pre-Bass (to me) and their reply was:

Please note that it is not allowed to resale or transfer a direct download license for Native Instruments sound libraries according to our current license agreements.

:(

J'lien X wrote:If its a download version, the answer seems to be NO.

A friend of mine asked NI how he could transfer license of Scarbee Pre-Bass (to me) and their reply was:

Please note that it is not allowed to resale or transfer a direct download license for Native Instruments sound libraries according to our current license agreements.

Thanks for the info. Well, I'll try and find a good use for it then. NI just lost my future business with that policy though. Physical media is a dying thing and I don't really care to get a boxed version of anything these days. The extra material and energy necessary to get the software to me seems an absurd waste in 2012.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

And if I can't resell something I buy I think maybe I don't really need to take the risk of purchasing it.

Well here's the deal...
You didn't actually buy the product, you LICENSED it.

Just like if you get a car license, you CANNOT resell that license if you write your car off... even if you arguably have no use for it anymore. :shrug:

This is quite a common stipulation for software and will have been included in the EULA which YOU AGREED TO at installation.

BTW the "L" in EULA stands for license. ;)
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

ben_horwood wrote:Well here's the deal...
You didn't actually buy the product, you LICENSED it.

Just like if you get a car license, you CANNOT resell that license if you write your car off... even if you arguably have no use for it anymore. :shrug:

This is quite a common stipulation for software and will have been included in the EULA which YOU AGREED TO at installation.

BTW the "L" in EULA stands for license. ;)
Yeah I know that, but other companies sell licenses that you can resell, so I will go with them in the future. Sorry for not reading every long EULA I see (who does that anyway?) I am not disputing their right to have that policy, just exercising my right to buy something else.

braj wrote:

Thanks for the info. Well, I'll try and find a good use for it then. NI just lost my future business with that policy though. Physical media is a dying thing and I don't really care to get a boxed version of anything these days. The extra material and energy necessary to get the software to me seems an absurd waste in 2012.
Just for the record, this only applies to sound libraries (which I don' think you can buy 'physically'?), other downloadable products like Reaktor can be sold/transferred fine (though always best to clear a sale with the developer first of course).

Why they make a distinction between libraries and instruments I couldn't say.

BTW, I have found the Retro Machines quite useful when you play around with some of the controls, like sound knobs, sliders, and the number tabs. You can get quite a variety of sounds from one patch, and if you assign them to midi controls it can get quite expressive.
Music you can believe in:
http://rebshaya.com

GaryG wrote:
braj wrote:

Just for the record, this only applies to sound libraries (which I don' think you can buy 'physically'?), other downloadable products like Reaktor can be sold/transferred fine (though always best to clear a sale with the developer first of course).

Why they make a distinction between libraries and instruments I couldn't say.
This is true...sometimes. I really think it depends on who you get at the other end of support. I've been granted permission to sell Reaktor (download license) but was denied permission to sell FM8 (download license) from another member of support. As you said, it's always best to clear a sale with the developer first :)

irvg wrote:BTW, I have found the Retro Machines quite useful when you play around with some of the controls, like sound knobs, sliders, and the number tabs. You can get quite a variety of sounds from one patch, and if you assign them to midi controls it can get quite expressive.
That's true, but it wasn't what I was really hoping for, all the samples are ultimately going through the same LFO and filter so they all have a certain sameness about them to my ears. I really should have known better, they are by no means bad just I personally have not found them that useful. Anyhow since I can't sell them I'll use them happily, I don't mind not being able to sell this but it is a lesson learned and I am not so enthusiastic to buy more NI libraries. I'm not crazy for sample libraries of synths to start with so buying it is my bad, not NI's. Just I learned a lesson, glad it wasn't more expensive than it was. For the same price I could have gotten an excellent synth like Firebird+ or ACE for a tad more.

braj wrote:

that is why I only buy physical media of NI products.
The price is exactly the same as they don't charge for shipping in Germany.
To my (limited) knowledge, their policy regarding users selling their products is exactly like the law demands.
For physical media no transfer can be denied, for download products they don't have to allow it. Since they seem to follow the law, I'm ok with it.
The resale value of physical media is higher anyway, as you can sell it on ebay and platforms like that, not only the kvr forum ;)

What about Komplete? I bought Komplete boxed, but I hardly ever use FM8 and have been considering selling it. I suppose they want all or nothing...

I have sold other develoeprs stuff but never NI and I have somes questions:

Do you need to send the buyer the instalation file? Or he can ask NI to register the license so he can download the instalation files?
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:I have sold other develoeprs stuff but never NI and I have somes questions:

Do you need to send the buyer the instalation file? Or he can ask NI to register the license so he can download the instalation files?
It depends, for some stuff you can just deregister the software and the buyer can register a demoversion it as soon as it's been deregistered from your account. That offcourse only works if there's presently a demoversion available for download, so with old stuff like FM 7, discontinued software and Kontakt and a few others you will need to provide the installation file.

There's a form that makes it fairly easy to deal with NI for license transfers: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/su ... n-support/

EDIT: also have a look at this: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/su ... s-product/

I have bought and resold libraries for NI products. Products like Alicia Keys and Rick Bass, etc. Retro Machines was interesting as I have Komplete Ultimate 9, but it was an upgrade from Komplete 9 which was an upgrade from Komplete 8 which was an upgrade from Absynth...and for some reason Retro Machines was not in the package. I had to have NI send it to me which they did reluctantly...just strange.

So your mileage WILL vary on this one.

Jon

Return to “Instruments”