Xiangqi
KVRAF

3184 posts since 21 Jul, 2009

Postby Xiangqi; Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:31 pm EP: Witch

seismic1
KVRAF

8634 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Wow! Pink Slime is wild stuff. The 'tron is creepy for a while and then the rest of the band plug in and eventually all hell breaks loose. I liked the guitar at the end.

No Good is a much more straightforward Blues-styled, with a hint of the Doors and a more restrained, but equally effective guitar solo.

Witch is also a fine track, but I haven't had time to listen properly yet.
Xiangqi
KVRAF

3184 posts since 21 Jul, 2009

Postby Xiangqi; Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:25 pm

seismic, thanks for the comments. i don't know what to make of this ep.

it would be cool if there were more 'body' in the 'meltron vsti' opening to 'pink slime'.

the vocals could have been better-recorded. aside from that, there are so many scatter-shot lyrics packed into these songs; but i figured the craziness of the singing (even 'out there' by my own standards) kind of fits the theme of the ep.

on 'pink slime', the drums could probably be louder, and the guitar could probably stand another take. the ending guitar is an earlier take, played back at 4x/2 octaves higher. the bassline on 'pink slime' might be able to use a mulligan, too. one part of me wants to 'tighten' everything up, but another part says that the world is already chock full of tight music; so why not make something really loose instead?

the guitar on 'witch' is probably too loud for the rest of the mix. on the drums from copperhead, there's a bass note which is probably an 'e', which is the raised 7th of the f harmonic minor the song is 'in'. it sounds like maybe there's actually a 'resonance' on the kick from the loop from unreal, which sounds to be in 'f'; if so, that was a happy accident.

with the guitar tuned to 'c' these past few days, the first two songs are in 'c minor', and 'witch' is in 'f minor'. i went the past couple of years, mostly tuned to 'a', so there have been a lot of songs in 'a' ('open position') and even moreso, 'd' (5th fret position). there are also a smattering of those in 'g' (10th fret); and some other assorted keys, but it's mostly d and a.

i thought 'hodge podge lodge' was not as good as it could have been. 'slowdown' i was mostly happy with. 'witch' seems like maybe another step 'back', but nonetheless it's something to add to the 'catalog'.

there's a new, single-song 'ep' (12+ minutes) called 'dollhouse' i'm posting now.

thanks again for the comments!
inboxzero
KVRist

51 posts since 2 Mar, 2012

Postby inboxzero; Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:36 am

seismic1 wrote:Wow! Pink Slime is wild stuff. The 'tron is creepy for a while and then the rest of the band plug in and eventually all hell breaks loose. I liked the guitar at the end.

Agreed, I wasn't expecting how that eventually turned out. Interesting stuff. Off to listen to the rest.
Music for films that will never be made
sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com
Laguna Rising
KVRAF

6706 posts since 4 Apr, 2005, from here and there

Postby Laguna Rising; Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:08 am

Cool stuff ! I enjoyed the spirit of 'Pink slime', some weird psychedelic edge in there. That's my favourite, but 'No good' is not a filler and 'witch' is enjoyable as well.

Cheers

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe