Xperiment3 - mikusan goes dubstep!!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, wasn't going to post this but what the heck...yes it's dubstep (at least I think so - it's not a genre I entirely understand but I'm registered with a music licensing site which was specifically requesting dubstep, so I thought I'd have a go :oops: )

Anyhoo, here's my take:

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/6poq20firw/xperiment3.mp3

(by the way, I think I invented a new genre with experiment2, but the world's not ready for it yet...and experiment1 - we won't mention experiment1 :hihi: )

as always, all comments welcome - more than ever on this occasion, it being unexplored territory... :-o

Well, you've explored it now. This is very good indeed. The overall atmosphere is fantastic. The vocals blend in with the synths really well, and the percussion is really crisp and punchy. The melodic "breaks" on this track are also nicely put together.

Love the bass 8)

Whatever it is it's damn good Mike! Big fat didgeribass, wicked drum grooves and bags of atmosphere... cinematic somehow for me. I felt it was over too quick the first time, but on subsequent listens I decided you actually did a great job of packing a lot into your time and not wearing out your welcome.
Image Image

Thanks for listening guys - and thanks for the very kind words :D

Still not sure if I particularly like dubstep - while I was studying the form I listened to loads of it on Soundcloud and found myself saying what my dad used to say to me when i was a teen, i.e. "it all sounds the bloody same" :lol: But then there are some really clever production tricks at work on Burial's tracks...hmmm...

Anyway, if the licensing company likes it as much as you guys, maybe I'll have to force myself to make more :o

this is seriously good, Mike.

these days it seems a lot of dubstep has gone down that awful testosterone fuelled american route. it's great to hear something that has bags of the original spirit to it. i love this tune :tu:

neil.

Wow, thanks a lot Neil :D glad you liked it. I guess I must have absorbed more from my studies than I thought...

:oops: I'll admit a guilty secret here - when I played this back after mixdown (just a final check on the mix before uploading) a very immodest grin plastered itself on my face when the beat dropped :oops:

Now I'll have to do another dubstep toon to prove to myself this one wasn't a fluke :lol:

page 2 already?? and here I thought dubstep was the new tarnce... :cry:

(polite bump for more comments)

I reeeeeally like this a lot.

I really don't know enough about dubstep new or old to comment on it's authenticity but it certainly stands up on it's own without reference to an established genre. I don't mind the new aggresive stuff at all, I think people rag on it just because it's popular.

Anyhoo!

The balance between clean, reverbed vocal and dirty instrumentation is gawjus.

Loads of good detail to enjoy.

Awesome work dude.

Cool track Mike. I must confess I was waiting for some more seismic drums to come in at some point, but the track more than kept the attention up till the end.

Great atmosphere and crisp production values. Like.

tehlord wrote:I reeeeeally like this a lot.

I really don't know enough about dubstep new or old to comment on it's authenticity but it certainly stands up on it's own without reference to an established genre. I don't mind the new aggresive stuff at all, I think people rag on it just because it's popular.

Anyhoo!

The balance between clean, reverbed vocal and dirty instrumentation is gawjus.

Loads of good detail to enjoy.

Awesome work dude.
Thanks Geoff, coming from you that's high praise indeed :D

I don't normally set out to follow a particular genre's tropes (at least, not deliberately) but I was working to a brief - partly to see if I could, partly to try and make a little money. Well, from the feedback I've had so far, part one was a success. As for part two, I'll have to wait and see a little longer...

synaesthesia wrote:Cool track Mike. I must confess I was waiting for some more seismic drums to come in at some point, but the track more than kept the attention up till the end.

Great atmosphere and crisp production values. Like.
Thanks for listening and the kind words...and for the drums idea, I'll use that in my next dubstep track :hihi:

cool track, but I feel that there's maybe too much reverb. still very good, ambient & experimental. I dig it!

Sounds dubby to me.
Deep and rich. Lovely textures and smooth effects
Thanks

Return to “Music Cafe”