Pianoteq 4 - oh wow!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got the upgrade (for a ludicrous 29 €). The differences are at first really subtle, but when taken as a whole, they really stand out. The new D4 is a great achievement in the world of physical modelling. Little things like key and pedal release noise, and slight detuning make for a very convincing piano to my ears. The string resonance has been cleaned up, which is very apparent on the high notes. The addition of several effects is quite welcome, if not totally necessary, as it's all about the core modelling (and the flexible mic placement).

I'm really very much impressed by this upgrade; they took something that was good and made it great. I'm quite sure the usual chorus of "it sounds artificial" will ensue, but hey, who cares? Use whatever works for you. If you plan on demoing it, though, I'd suggest the following to give it a fair shot:

- use weighted keys. I can't emphasize this enough. Pianoteq utilizes velocity information to its fullest extent (not like sampled pianos).
- Play around with the mic placement and the secondary characteristics like hammer noise. I find that I usually like to dial in a bit more extraneous noise than the factory presets provide. I also like to place a mic right where the pianist is sitting to fully capture those Keith Jarrett snorts and snuffles, ha ha).
- Some good monitors always help. ;)

Hear hear!

Pity the PLAY version will only be released in May... can't wait!
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

No time to play around with it yet! :cry:

Can't wait tho, I really enjoyed the 3.5 demo so far! :)

From the official forum:
The Pianoteq 4 upgrade will be free for everyone who purchased Pianoteq after 1 January 2011.
Quite generous. Other companies would say "after Jan. 2012" even if they set a grace period.

I hope the additional instruments (i.e. rock collection, KiViR's etc.) get an update as well!
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:I hope the additional instruments (i.e. rock collection, KiViR's etc.) get an update as well!
They did. ;)

Are there improvements to the sound of the existing pianos like the rock piano? Or are the improvements just in the new model (as far as realism)? I didn't even notice the old grand pianos in the instrument list anymore on the website. Did they just replace them?

The problem I have with it is the sound of the lower and lower-mid keys, they are a bit synthetic and don't seem to blend as well together in chords as for example truepianos.

Bought already - a no brainer really, I have had 2 free updates from them, as well as numerous freebies over the years and the upgrade price is still extremely reasonable and they deserved to get something back. Modart are one of the most generous companies around.

demos sound great
just bought the update-looking forward to play with it!

Yes, loving this update. Rarely do I buy/update something the first day I hear about it (I'm generally not an early adopter any more) but this was such a no-brainer and I use Pianoteq in practically every track I do.

Here's one of my older tracks, which I have redone using my new Pianoteq 4:

http://soundcloud.com/keyquest-music/de ... -4-version

A very rich sound I think, coming from the new Grand D piano.

headquest wrote:Yes, loving this update. Rarely do I buy/update something the first day I hear about it (I'm generally not an early adopter any more) but this was such a no-brainer and I use Pianoteq in practically every track I do.

Here's one of my older tracks, which I have redone using my new Pianoteq 4:

http://soundcloud.com/keyquest-music/de ... -4-version

A very rich sound I think, coming from the new Grand D piano.
Thanks for posting this recording. I hope you won't mind--I took the liberty of posting links to it on the Pianoteq forum and the synths\samples forum at Piano World ( http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre ... 0&%20.html).

No problem - indeed thanks ;)

I'm not familiar with either forum, but will check them out :)

Update: I've actually removed that track...

I didn't realise there were so many Pianoteq haters out there! The track got spammed with hate comments. Also, more disturbingly, people who normally say they love my tracks were posting how much they dislike Pianoteq, and how it makes my music not good. The irony is that practically all my studio tracks on Soundcloud were done using Pianoteq, and they never hated them until I put the words "pianoteq 4 demo" in the title. Weird. Aren't people strange, elitist and hypocritical at times! :roll:

Wow. Sorry to have contributed to that. But I can't imagine why people would post there instead of here or on the other sites.

Return to “Instruments”