Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Book: The Art of VA Filter Design 1.1.1

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Z1202
KVRian

611 posts since 11 Apr, 2002

Postby Z1202; Tue May 22, 2012 8:26 am Book: The Art of VA Filter Design 1.1.1

Hi all

[Edit: July 24, 2015 links updated to newer revisions]

Here it is: The Art of VA Filter Design. It is based around the TPT (a.k.a. zero-delay feedback) filter design method. No preliminary filter design knowledge required.

The full list of download links:
http://www.native-instruments.com/filea ... _1.1.1.pdf (NI website)
http://www.discodsp.net/VAFilterDesign_1.1.1.pdf (thanks to george for mirroring)

The book has been actually written in the last week of April, but there were some unforseen delays getting it published. In the meantime I replaced the originally used DF2 integrators with TDF2 integrators (thanks to mystran :)). It's remarkable how at the very same time the same topic got extensively discussed on KVR :)

The book text hasn't been extensively proofread, so if you spot any mistakes, the feedback is welcome. Equally, I would appreciate the mirroring of the file, in which case please drop me a note, so that I can inform you of the updates.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Vadim
Last edited by Z1202 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:08 am, edited 15 times in total.
mystran
KVRAF

4279 posts since 11 Feb, 2006, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby mystran; Tue May 22, 2012 8:30 am

Your diode approach is interesting. :)

Specifically what I mean the signal flow graph of Figure 4.13; I never thought about it that way, even if I've written a derivation for the analog model here at some point (and at that point I remember noting that "this gives the same results as Stinchcombe" so it's not like I was the first one).

Your linear solution looks pretty much exactly as awful as mine. :P

Anyway, lots of useful content in there. Certainly explained very well and at least for me it looks like it should be reasonable easy to understand.
Image <- plugins | forum
mystran
KVRAF

Postby mystran; Tue May 22, 2012 8:52 am

Z1202 wrote:The book has been actually written in the last week of April, but there were some unforseen delays getting it published. In the meantime I replaced the originally used DF2 integrators with TDF2 integrators (thanks to mystran :)).

Oh, don't thank me. Thank neotec whose idea it was. I just stole it from him. ;)
Image <- plugins | forum
Z1202
KVRian

611 posts since 11 Apr, 2002

Postby Z1202; Tue May 22, 2012 8:57 am

mystran wrote:
Z1202 wrote:The book has been actually written in the last week of April, but there were some unforseen delays getting it published. In the meantime I replaced the originally used DF2 integrators with TDF2 integrators (thanks to mystran :)).

Oh, don't thank me. Thank neotec whose idea it was. I just stole it from him. ;)
But it was you who drew my attention to that subject. Probably I should credit neotec too (do you happen to know his actual name?)
George
KVRAF

2646 posts since 17 Jul, 2002

Postby George; Tue May 22, 2012 9:12 am

As requested I have mirrored the PDF at http://www.discodsp.net/VAFilterDesign.pdf
antto
KVRAF

2345 posts since 4 Sep, 2006, from 127.0.0.1

Postby antto; Tue May 22, 2012 9:15 am

No preliminary filter design knowledge required.

are you saying that there is even a small chance that i might understand something if i attempt to read this? :shock: :pray:
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.freenode.net >>> #kvr
George
KVRAF

2646 posts since 17 Jul, 2002

Postby George; Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

antto wrote:are you saying that there is even a small chance that i might understand something if i attempt to read this? :shock: :pray:

the book wrote:The prerequisites for the reader include familiarity with the basic DSP concepts, complex algebra and the basic ideas of mathematical analysis.

;)
antto
KVRAF

Postby antto; Tue May 22, 2012 9:20 am

:clown: :smack: then nope..

mystran
KVRAF

Postby mystran; Tue May 22, 2012 9:32 am

Z1202 wrote:
mystran wrote:

But it was you who drew my attention to that subject. Probably I should credit neotec too (do you happen to know his actual name?)

No, I was wondering about it in "my own" thread.
Image <- plugins | forum
mystran
KVRAF

Postby mystran; Tue May 22, 2012 9:35 am

george wrote:
antto wrote:are you saying that there is even a small chance that i might understand something if i attempt to read this? :shock: :pray:

the book wrote:The prerequisites for the reader include familiarity with the basic DSP concepts, complex algebra and the basic ideas of mathematical analysis.

;)

From quickly glancing through the text, I don't think that's as bad as it sounds. He explains everything he does quite clearly. So I think there's a chance that anyone that can write code can probably figure it out. In fact, it looks like it's easier to read than most books on traditional digital filters.
Image <- plugins | forum
jupiter8
KVRAF

9421 posts since 17 Sep, 2002, from Gothenburg Sweden

Postby jupiter8; Tue May 22, 2012 9:49 am

antto wrote::clown: :smack: then nope..

Just in case you didn't know,Complex Algebra doesn't mean "really really hard" Algebra,it just means Algebra with complex numbers which isn't that hard if i recall correctly (been a few years since i read it). I've yet to discover what you use it for and what it got to do with audio but i'm sure someone will tell me. :D
Urs
u-he

18246 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Tue May 22, 2012 9:52 am

Looks very cool - many thanks for sharing! When did you have the time to write all this :shock:
thevinn
KVRian

771 posts since 30 Nov, 2008

Postby thevinn; Tue May 22, 2012 9:53 am

NICE BOOK!

Thanks for adding this to the body of DSP literature!!!!
Ichad.c
KVRian

773 posts since 8 Feb, 2012, from South - Africa

Postby Ichad.c; Tue May 22, 2012 10:35 am

antto wrote::clown: :smack: then nope..

Hey Annto, I agree. Personally I've learn't more about filters by practical examples and comments by mystran and neotec and andy_fx, than I did reading that pdf. That being said though; I'm glad I read it - because the 30% that I understood was quite enlighting. Just looking at that diode-ladder block diagram makes me :drunk:

mystran wrote:In fact, it looks like it's easier to read than most books on traditional digital filters.

That I fully agree with.

Regards
Andrew
antto
KVRAF

Postby antto; Tue May 22, 2012 10:53 am

i looked at it
once again i realize that my brain is just incompatible with such matters
there are things i understand, and things i don't (like math)

oh well.. maybe after ~20 years.. naah

Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development