What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What Are you Thinking Now/Tell Me What's On Your Mind - (The Big Budget Remake)

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

7897 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Fri May 25, 2012 12:54 am What Are you Thinking Now/Tell Me What's On Your Mind - (The Big Budget Remake)

Yay!! Lab work day and I get to see if I'm Bubble Boy. First stop if all clear-the barber!!!
I'm also very happy. I found a cool garage apartment in the country, but still really close to town. I love the landlady, she's a cancer survivor for 10 years and in her 70's, but you'd never know it to look at her.
Only drawback is I have to pay two rents for two months but it'll be worth it to get out of this cardboard walled box.

Farm living is the life for me,
land spreading out so far and wide...
Keep Manhattan just give me that countryside....
KVRAF

5553 posts since 8 Oct, 2007, from an inharmonious society

Postby mcnoone; Fri May 25, 2012 1:09 am

osiris wrote:Farm living is the life for me,
land spreading out so far and wide...
Keep Manhattan just give me that countryside....

Good luck with your move there. :)
KVRAF

13555 posts since 23 Jun, 2010, from north of London ON

Postby trimph1; Fri May 25, 2012 2:43 am

Definite on the countryside..it is keeping me from losing what marbles I have left. :)
Barry
The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran
http://www.ambientonline.org/
KVRAF

6189 posts since 24 May, 2009, from USA! USA! USA! Oh, give it up...

Postby 4lb Kitty; Fri May 25, 2012 3:19 am

Good luck with your appointment, and with your move! :)
Ambient Online | Software Concierge Services
Reaper 4 (Not a fan), Some VSTs, Win8.1 Pro 64, 32GB RAM, 3.25TB total HDD, SSD
KVRAF

Postby 4lb Kitty; Fri May 25, 2012 3:20 am

I missed out on that Jumbo Classic R2-D2. Will I miss out on the Jumbo Classic Yoda, too? :(
KVRAF

7897 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Fri May 25, 2012 4:38 am

Do you REALLY want it??????
KVRAF

19871 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Fri May 25, 2012 5:26 am

My daughter called me in the middle of the night last night - I thought there must be something wrong, but it turned out that she couldn't find the band aid she had on her boo boo as it fell off during the night...

I'd never not go, but I can't wait until she gets to realize that having a band aid on a tiny scratch on her knee isn't the most critical thing at 3am...
KVRAF

7468 posts since 2 Apr, 2002, from Austin, Texas, USA

Postby SyntheticAurality; Fri May 25, 2012 6:08 am

Took over some C# code another contractor had written (he moved out of town weeks ago). I discovered the worst thing I've seen in 30+ years of coding: an if/else if block almost TWO THOUSAND LINES LONG. And not ONE SINGLE COMMENT.

I think I'm going to throw up. :help:

This guy was an idiot, obviously. My boss thinks it's funny. :roll:

This blows goats. :bang: :idiot: :evil: :smack: And I have to refactor this tripe... :cry: :help:
Beware the Quoth

21173 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Fri May 25, 2012 6:21 am

woolyloach wrote:Took over some C# code another contractor had written (he moved out of town weeks ago). I discovered the worst thing I've seen in 30+ years of coding: an if/else if block almost TWO THOUSAND LINES LONG. And not ONE SINGLE COMMENT.

The first time I worked as a programmer, I was tasked to port some Fortan IV to Fortran 77. The code was basically a large finite element simulation, but, being F-IV had impenetrable niceties such as single letter variable names, and hollerith descriptors for text output. The whole package was a hundred thousand lines of code or something, and had been written by physicists who clearly knew nothing about writing software properly.

Buried in the middle of that monstrosity was the entirety of an older, different, self-contained FE simulation from the same research group, called as a monolithic 10,000 line subroutine.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
KVRAF

13555 posts since 23 Jun, 2010, from north of London ON

Postby trimph1; Fri May 25, 2012 6:23 am

An if/else if block 2,000 lines long? :shock: :shock: :help:

How does this work again???? :? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barry
The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran
http://www.ambientonline.org/
KVRAF

19871 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Fri May 25, 2012 6:56 am

whyterabbyt wrote:The first time I worked as a programmer, I was tasked to port some Fortan IV to Fortran 77. The code was basically a large finite element simulation, but, being F-IV had impenetrable niceties such as single letter variable names, and hollerith descriptors for text output. The whole package was a hundred thousand lines of code or something, and had been written by physicists who clearly knew nothing about writing software properly.

I worked as a developer for a few years, but haven't done it for many now. One of the most mindnumbing pieces of code I ever came across was the source code available for an application written by the US Census Bureau.

They provided the code for anyone who wanted to customize it, so I had the idea of recompiling it into a DLL that could be called from a custom module in Excel. Anyway, I took a look at it and it was essentially the same thing you found - no comments, no meaningful variable names, lots of spaghetti code - just awful. I gave up on the idea in the end as I simply didn't have the hours to put into it.
KVRAF

4585 posts since 13 Jan, 2003, from Kent, UK

Postby GaryG; Fri May 25, 2012 8:07 am

I was given a COBOL payroll program once to amend and it was just one long scrawl of code, no subroutines, gotos every other line, if/thens as though they were going out of fashion.

And like WRs example, ultimately I established a major chunk of coe in the middle wasn't actually used. Not commented out or anything just sitting there with everything else looping and jumping around it.

Then I found out it was written by the IT Manager, years previously...

osiris wrote:garage apartment

What's one of them then? In a garage, above one? Best of luck with it, sounds great.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
KVRAF

Postby 4lb Kitty; Fri May 25, 2012 9:04 am

osiris wrote:Do you REALLY want it??????

:lol: :lol: :lol:
KVRAF

Postby 4lb Kitty; Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 am

I'm thinking: I wonder if the old thread is going to be moved to Off Topic Classics... :shrug:
KVRAF

7468 posts since 2 Apr, 2002, from Austin, Texas, USA

Postby SyntheticAurality; Fri May 25, 2012 10:05 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
woolyloach wrote:Took over some C# code another contractor had written (he moved out of town weeks ago). I discovered the worst thing I've seen in 30+ years of coding: an if/else if block almost TWO THOUSAND LINES LONG. And not ONE SINGLE COMMENT.

The first time I worked as a programmer, I was tasked to port some Fortan IV to Fortran 77. The code was basically a large finite element simulation, but, being F-IV had impenetrable niceties such as single letter variable names, and hollerith descriptors for text output. The whole package was a hundred thousand lines of code or something, and had been written by physicists who clearly knew nothing about writing software properly.

Buried in the middle of that monstrosity was the entirety of an older, different, self-contained FE simulation from the same research group, called as a monolithic 10,000 line subroutine.

Good. :help: :help: :help:

GOD. :-o :-o :cry: :help:
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic