Free simple upright piano

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a copy of my own post at Camel Audio section. The samples are organized in a sfz so I thought I could share my samples here too.

I had fun at my folks home the other day recording their upright piano. I have never recorded acoustic instruments before and hardly ever used microphones but I feel this will add a new dimension to my music making. I have a lot to learn but tried to do my own piano sample set. The piano is labeled Skerratt London, doesn't stay in tune and sounds quite dark. I noticed when I got home that I had set the levels a bit too hot or the mics were too close to the hammers. The stereo perspective sounds strange on some notes probably due to irregular reflections inside the piano. My samples will not fit in a dance track but you may find them useful for ambient and/or experimental tunes.

Skerratt London Piano

As this is the first time I have sampled an acoustic instrument I have only recorded the keys at full velocity. There is a sfz that can be used in any sampler that supports the format and a simple Alchemy preset.

what sampler would you recommend to try it out with? will it hurt if I'll convert this to sf2? Really eager to try this because pianos are essential for my music.

Thank you!
https://soundcloud.com/vospi
I love music, worked with a number of music/rhythm/dance games like Pump It Up, In The Groove, Cytus and Deemo, and teach music production.

So ... you put the mics inside the piano? Thanks for sharing, will give it a go.

Vospi wrote:what sampler would you recommend to try it out with? will it hurt if I'll convert this to sf2? Really eager to try this because pianos are essential for my music.

Thank you!
Use any sampler that can load sfz or you could map the samples manually. Each sample has the corresponding key in the file name. You can do whatever you want with this if you prefer sf2 :) It's my first take on multisampling acoustic instruments so I know it's not great. But as I said it could be useful for experimental music. This piano doesn't sound bright and isn't exactly in tune.
thecontrolcentre wrote:So ... you put the mics inside the piano? Thanks for sharing, will give it a go.
Well, I just checked the photos and the mics weren't really inside(man, it was dusty in there):

I didn't use the x-y setup as shown in the photo though. Next time I will open both the top and the upper front lid, increase the distance from the hammers and put the microphones at the players position. If I have the time and energy I will try to make velocity layers too. I have a lot to learn...

Hello KungKrille!

Thank you for these samples.
I hope that he(it) not there no problem but I enjoied using them and creating a vst with Synthedit.
I worked a little samples so that they are less heavy.
In the archive he(it) it in him(it) vst and source codes for Synthedit.

(Sorry for my english :D)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ihvt20dji1wugtc

:wink:

@Project16:

Nice that you liked them and you are allowed to do whatever you want with the samples :) Your plugin works fine on my system but maybe you reduced the samples too much (they sound bitcrushed). I should have done that myself as 24 bit/48 kHz is way overkill for this piano

Do you plan to add additional velocity layers? They would give this piano much more life...

> 24 bit/48 kHz is way overkill

I don't thank that that's overkill for anything.
I love music, worked with a number of music/rhythm/dance games like Pump It Up, In The Groove, Cytus and Deemo, and teach music production.

KungKrille wrote:Next time I will open both the top and the upper front lid, increase the distance from the hammers and put the microphones at the players position. If I have the time and energy I will try to make velocity layers too. I have a lot to learn...
Hey KungKrille,

I am playing the BigCat version of this piano right now and just LOVING it. I really like the sound you got from your parents Skerratt Piano. I actually think it is my favorite sounding piano in my collection of probably 30 to 40 virtual pianos.

The only drawback is the absence of velocity layers to allow for more dynamic range. I really like how you placed the microphones and wish that you would do them the same way again, though I'm sure this piano will sound splendid even with the revised micing that you described.

PLEASE DO re-record this lovely piano and capture at least another couple of velocity layers. I would be so happy to eventually get another copy of this piano with the enhanced playability.

In fact, I could probably buildng my own variation on the instrument using the these samples combined with some velocity layers that you could provide in addition, as long as the difference in microphone placement doesn't make it sound completely different.

Just love this piano, and I wanted to thank you for recording this and making this available. If you get a chance, please do record a bit more of this piano on your next visit home! Thanks so much!

Zedd
Somewhere in the background zedd

Late reply:
Zedd, thank you and I'm happy you like the piano :-)

Now, I did plan to create a new sample set complete with velocity layers. The problem is - and I was not notified about this - that my parents switched the piano to another one! It doesn't sound the same at all so no more Skerratt London samples from me. I might record this one instead in a near future. If it sounds good enough I will upload a sample pack here.

KungKrille wrote:Late reply:
Zedd, thank you and I'm happy you like the piano :-)

Now, I did plan to create a new sample set complete with velocity layers. The problem is - and I was not notified about this - that my parents switched the piano to another one! It doesn't sound the same at all so no more Skerratt London samples from me. I might record this one instead in a near future. If it sounds good enough I will upload a sample pack here.

Well, the obvious solution is to track down the original piano. Did your parents trade it in when buying the new piano? Time to knock on the dealer's door and explain what you want to do. In exchange for your willingness to discuss his or her generosity on one of the most prominent, widely-read music sites in the world--the KVR forums? In all seriousness, it wouldn't hurt to learn where the piano went, even if it is now inaccessible, or if you might hesitate before breaking into someone's house to record two more layers.

Jake Jackson wrote:...or if you might hesitate before breaking into someone's house to record two more layers.
Cop#1: Put your hands in the air!
Cop#2: What are you doing? Stealing jewellery?
Me: No, I'm just sampling this piano...

Hi Thanksss :)
Everything you need to make all your dreams come true is already inside you. Let it out. - DJ Verside | Official Website | Soundcloud

verside wrote:Hi Thanksss :)
Thanks from me too :) (and also thanks to verside for bringing my
attention to this piano)
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Skerratt London Piano VST by bigcat Instruments

Is that the same, but wrapped in a VSTi?
People do complain on a latency problem, though (which is not uncommon for free pianos, unfortunately...)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”