Dust Equalizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[New stable 1.7 found on my site with the stuff from the beta thing .. yeah]

When I started plugin development, I kinda made a promise to myself to "never make another EQ plugin" but I couldn't resist. I'm not sure if anyone will find this useful, but it's what I've been using almost exclusively for a while now, so I figured I'd release it.

This is designed for "less is more" and comes with a pair of filters, pair of shelves and two mid-freq bells. This isn't "quite" cookbook stuff. Have fun trying to match them with a stock EQ.

Tech-wise these use a fitting method to approximate analog response, improving the high-freq shape significantly (whether you compare to cookbook or Orfanidis-style compensation). To further improve the very-high frequency response there's 2x oversampling (actually that's mostly so the high-shelf cutoff can go to 24kHz and the low-pass to 28kHz, but it also looks a bit better in a spectrum analyzer).

Processing is done with my SVF-inspired filter structure which is cheap to calculate while handling low-frequencies rather better than the average direct form filter (proper 0df SVF would be even better, but would roughly double the CPU.. I tried, but figured it's not really worth it).

The custom shelves are rather wide and quite asymmetric. They are designed such that the response is fairly flat on the "unprocessed" side, with much more gentle curve on the "processed" side. I like it that way. YMMV.

The bells are otherwise "standard" except gain is relative to bandwidth: actual peak gain is actually gain/sqrt(width) so adjusting bandwidth approximately maintains the perceptible strength of the boost or cut. It sounds complex, but I find it very natural in practice (just remember you can get more peak gain by turning down the width, if you wan to tune the bands or something).

Download (Windows only; now with experimental 64-bit version; you need SSE2)

updated 1.0.1: fixes resource allocation problem that was causing crashes when closing editor

updated 1.0.3: should fix another editor-closing crash with old Intel drivers

updated 1.0.4: GUI should open a bit faster after being loaded once; should report if SSE2 is missing

updated 1.0.5.1: fixed OpenGL problems being reported multiple times (1.0.5) and included experimental 64-bit build (1.0.5.1 - otherwise identical to 1.0.5)

Technical note: This use completely new UI toolkit so there may be bugs; please report any weird behavior. The toolkit renders with OpenGL so you need some sort of a GPU (anything post-2000 should work at least).
Last edited by mystran on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:53 am, edited 12 times in total.

The GUI opens slow on my netbook, the first thing I did after opening the window was close it to see if that was slow too and it crashed AudioMulch.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=e657di&s=6
miedex

miedex wrote:The GUI opens slow on my netbook, the first thing I did after opening the window was close it to see if that was slow too and it crashed AudioMulch.
Which OS? What type of GPU (at least the brand)? Is it latest AudioMulch?

edit: seems to work for me in latest Mulch, so need some more info..

mystran wrote:
miedex wrote:The GUI opens slow on my netbook, the first thing I did after opening the window was close it to see if that was slow too and it crashed AudioMulch.
Which OS? What type of GPU (at least the brand)? Is it latest AudioMulch?

edit: seems to work for me in latest Mulch
Win XP 32 bit, Intel graphics media accelerator 3150, AudioMulch 2.2.0 (latest)
miedex

Crash also here on closing the GUI window with Cantabile 1.2.

Windows ME, nVidia 7950GT.

All your other plugs run fine but none seem to use OpenGL for the GUI like this one.

eidenk wrote:Crash also here on closing the GUI window with Cantabile 1.2.

Windows ME, nVidia 7950GT.

All your other plugs run fine but none seem to use OpenGL for the GUI like this one.
Yeah, like I said it's new toolkit so there might be bugs.

Windows ME is kinda legacy. :roll:

Then again, if it opens fine and crashes on close, that kinda suggests it might not be OS specific. I'll investigate.

Oh, I see..

Seems this is general issue. I got it to trigger in FL now (after attaching debugger; seems FL probably hides the issue unless there's a debugger to catch it). Anyway, I found a crash which means I should be able to figure out how to get rid of it.

mystran wrote: Windows ME is kinda legacy. :roll:
I know that all too well... :hihi: and because of that I probably wouldn't have reported the problem if it wasn't the exact same issue as miedex above. 8)

Crash before seeing any gui in Savihost, Win7 32bit, uh control panel says there's a ATI Radeon X1200 series display adapter.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Ok, so this (the close bug) was so called "stupid bug"...

The crash was because my GL driver sanity checks texture-allocation so it threw an exception because some textures didn't get released. The check was there so I'd notice it when it happens, but apparently FL that I use as my development host doesn't really care about some random exception (note to self: always force a MessageBox popup on sanity checks).

Well, anyway, turns out I was destroying the GL wrapper before I was destroying rest of the GUI, so rest of the GUI never had chance to release resources it might have had (instead it would try it later, which I guess could risk another potential, possibly delayed crash).

Anyway, uploaded 1.0.1 which should have this issue fixed.

Can you guys redownload and let me know if it works now?

Oh I kinda forgot to mention.. SSE2 required too.. I kinda take that for granted these days. :P

It freezes Savihost and Reaper here, I'm pretty sure I have the sse stuff.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:It freezes Savihost and Reaper here, I'm pretty sure I have the sse stuff.
Yeah hmmh.. assuming it's not a CPU issue then this is something I have no idea about currently. I tried Savihost on this computer and it works. I'll try to two other computers and see what happens.

note to self: should really REALLY add a proper popup for SSE issues, just to make sure..

mystran wrote:Can you guys redownload and let me know if it works now?
No problems anymore here. :)

RBR the older version froze savihost too here but not anymore with the new one, perhaps you need to flush your browser cache before redownloading.

hmmh.. the new one seems to run perfectly fine on both of my laptops.. the older one has ATI x1300 which isn't too different.. then again it should really run on something like TNT2 ...

Return to “Effects”