Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MIDI Guitar 0.5.0 beta is here!

WHAT'S NEW:
  • Improved recognition (reduced spurious notes, snappier note-offs)

Added support for interpolating between pitch sensivitiy values.

Tooltips are shown in the help section.

Fixed issue where mouse clicks do not work in Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Fixed issue where the selected instrument was not saved when using VST/AU inside a host.
SCREENSHOT:

HOW TO DOWNLOAD:

You can download the latest beta version by signing up here:
http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/vst.html

If you already have joined the beta test, simply run the previous version of MIDI Guitar on an online computer. It will notify you about the update.
Last edited by JamOrigin on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamOrigin.com

Like us on Facebook.com/JamOrigin and follow us on Twitter @JamOrigin

Hi,I ve been testing this software for a few days now and I have to say I am very impressed with the capabilities of this plugin.Recognition is quite right (almost perfect)and latency is pretty playable.The only thing I have noticed is that you cant play staccato notes well.I mean ,I would be happy if there was a way for the software to keep tracking pull offs and hammer ons ,in the way already does but parallel to be able to play staccato notes i.e. not to hold notes longer than they are actually played in the guitar(This would help a lot with playing bass vst e.t.c.) .Another thing I would like to see is, of course pitchbend.Overall, I think this app would be an enormous revolution in audio to midi conversion software.Please excuse my English,I am Greek. :D oops new version I didnt see that.Im gonna download it right now... :D :)

karozas wrote:The only thing I have noticed is that you cant play staccato notes well.I mean ,I would be happy if there was a way for the software to keep tracking pull offs and hammer ons ,in the way already does but parallel to be able to play staccato notes i.e. not to hold notes longer than they are actually played in the guitar(This would help a lot with playing bass vst e.t.c.)
wow :shock: you fixed it already in version 0.5.That is awesome tnx.

AdmiralQuality wrote:
metalifuxx wrote:Regarding what Admiral Quality was talking about:
:idea: If you are talking about per-string audio/note detection/separation, is it possible to introduce a 6 output audio mode as well (1 for each of the 6 strings)? I know that it would not work like having a hexaphonic pickup and 6 outputs, but it would still be cool to mess about with, and I think you could still do some cool sound design things with guitar in an easy matter :D
That's what we call a "resynthesizer". From what JamOrigin is suggesting, it should be possible, though how much it would sound like isolated string signals is hard to say.

I'll leave the feasibility of that to JamOrigin, but if the product output multiple envelope follower signals for each of the first several harmonics, that's all you'd need to control a real time additive synthesizer to "match" the string tone, at least somewhat.

I'm hoping JamOrigin don't get too distracted by this stuff yet. I'll be thrilled enough when multichannel output allowing pitch bend tracking comes. And an overall envelope follower signal would be a huge bonus. As to actually having envelopes for each harmonic!?! I think I'd probably faint! ;)
Ok, I owe a short answer here: Yes, its possible.

Basically we want to make some kind of 6 channel output, so that for each discrete MIDI note there is an "analog" signal which could be used for resynthesis (great word by the way).

My concern is more of a conceptual one. We'd like it to be a kind of protocol between MIDI Guitar and synths, but where do the controller end and the synth begin? We need some kind of protocol. A few suggestions have been made: 1. A simple amplitude envelope signal for each note. 2. A multi-dimentional mapping of the first serveral harmonics for each note. 3. Full waveforms for each note.

I'd like to avoid the last one for now, as its more work and also will have a large impact on CPU usage (which we'd rather use for improving recognition). Although it does presumably have some interesting applications like polyphonic tremolo and poly pitch shift pedals, applying different effects on different guitar notes or combine synths and guitar effects in interesting ways...

As AdmiralQuality points out, the second option will presumably be able to resynthesize into a very pure/simple sounding version of the guitar input with simple additive synthesis. It seems fairly straightforward given the progress we made on the really hard problem, and a good compromise.

I wonder if there are synth devs around here who are open for a kind of partnership around such a protocol? (porting, hacking or extending an existing synth) to take advantage of complex real-world signals, that you can actually feel in the guitar body and in your fingers when you play it.
JamOrigin.com

JamOrigin wrote: I wonder if there are synth devs around here who are open for a kind of partnership around such a protocol? (porting, hacking or extending an existing synth) to take advantage of complex real-world signals, that you can actually feel in the guitar body and in your fingers when you play it.
:tu:

You know from our email chats that I'm interested in this. An additive synth has been something I've been meaning to get to at some point anyway. I've got some code that makes super CPU efficient almost-sines (used for the sine waveform in Poly-Ana's oscillators) which I've been meaning to test for feasibility as operators in a real-time additive synth. I think you could generate a LOT of these without overtaxing a modern CPU.

I would think that the best protocol is just plain old MIDI though. The last thing our world needs is another competing standard. :) Like you're describing, the envelopes of each harmonic could each be assigned a MIDI CC#. (Possibly even using 14 bit MIDI protocol, assuming your analysis produces suitably accurate signals.)

Another way you could do it is by VST automation of the hosted plug-in within MIDIGuitar. I could probably whip something up fairly quick that was just a bunch of knobs for the level of each harmonic you detect, then your app/plugin could send it setParameter messages as hosts already do for playing back automation.

Let's talk more about this offline!

I have to say that I'm very impressed by this and appreciate being an early adaptor. It's fitting my needs quite nicely - far better than what I've used previously (even if out of context on acoustic and period instruments). I think it would eventually be useful to include tuning to at least as low as D (as that's been in use since the Renaissance). I also hope it will be compatible with products like Gtak5 (http://evenharmonic.com/) as that would be very useful with NI instruments. Anyway, thank you, and I'll be using this a lot. :)

what does Gtak5 do again?

You posted it the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVwf7Q11Ir8

It simply interfaces midi guitar hardware synths with NI Kontakt5.
Somewhat in a fashion like edit groups in that each of the six guitar outputs (per string with hex pickups) are assigned to individual midi inputs for Kontakt instruments.
Midi Guitar is evolving beyond hardware synths - with polyphony attainable through interpretive algorhythm. If this can then express it's output as 6 individual string voicings, it can emulate the output of hardware synths (ie: Axion, Roland) and offer a lot of flexibility in Kontakt.

Hi guys, i'd like to download the evaluation Version of MIDI Guitar, because i want to test it SO bad, but i unfortunately can't find it! Could someone maybe provide me a link? :help:

fischkopf wrote:Hi guys, i'd like to download the evaluation Version of MIDI Guitar, because i want to test it SO bad, but i unfortunately can't find it! Could someone maybe provide me a link? :help:
The link is on the first post in this thread.
JamOrigin.com

dumant wrote:
JamOrigin wrote:
dumant wrote: I have tested your application on my Mac, and it really looks promising.

But I am unable to run it as a plugin (either VST or AU) in Reaper: The "I accept" button for the licence cannot be clicked. I also tried with Mu-Lab (crash), and Multitrack studio (same behaviour as Reaper).
This very odd issue happens under OSX 10.6.x and it has been fixed. MIDI Guitar 0.5 will be released later today.
Cool, thanks !

Bruno
It works perfectly now. Using Midiguitar as a plugin greatly improves performance (and also certainly the work you did between 0.4 and 0.5 !). This plugin is already very usable for a beta !

Thanks again.

JamOrigin wrote:
fischkopf wrote:Hi guys, i'd like to download the evaluation Version of MIDI Guitar, because i want to test it SO bad, but i unfortunately can't find it! Could someone maybe provide me a link? :help:
I did check your post, unfortunately i can't find the download link... Do i have to sign up somewhere to see it?

fischkopf wrote:
JamOrigin wrote:
I did check your post, unfortunately i can't find the download link... Do i have to sign up somewhere to see it?
You can find instructions to download MIDI Guitar here:
http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/vst.html

jas wrote:You posted it the other day:

Somewhat in a fashion like edit groups in that each of the six guitar outputs (per string with hex pickups) are assigned to individual midi inputs for Kontakt instruments.
Midi Guitar is evolving beyond hardware synths - with polyphony attainable through interpretive algorhythm. If this can then express it's output as 6 individual string voicings, it can emulate the output of hardware synths (ie: Axion, Roland) and offer a lot of flexibility in Kontakt.
cool. I thought Gtak was just a workaround software for the limitations in Kontakt when using hardware Midi guitar? with the JamOrigin software.. this problem does not exist.

memyselfandus wrote:
jas wrote:You posted it the other day:

cool. I thought Gtak was just a workaround software for the limitations in Kontakt when using hardware Midi guitar? with the JamOrigin software.. this problem does not exist.
It will though, once multi-channel output (which will support per-string pitch bend) is added. Though presumably it will always have a mode to work like it is now, polyphonic all on one channel with no bends.

Return to “Instruments”