Ableton Live sounds louder than Logic Pro 9 ?!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

hello

few days ago I created the same music in Logic and Ableton Live with the same plugins the same notes equal volumes, all the same ... and in the end the sound of Logic Pro sounds low with little punch while Ableton Live sound with high power and more present. ..

Why? Does anyone have or had the same problem?

Thank you ;)

ste0mac wrote:
Why?
IMO the reason is "You".
ste0mac wrote:
Does anyone have or had the same problem?
I think some guys have such problems with most of the hosts. I'm not one of them :P

I believe in "1+1=2", so for me there is no difference in the sound quality with the same settings between all digital hosts. If I were you, I would test the difference in the workflow rather than the sound quality :-)

Everybody knows Ableton is louder, with better audio quality of course :hihi:

You might want to check your preferences settings out.
I did have some very slight differences between Live and Logic8, but it was due to latency, and other settings which were different between them.
There is definitely output level differences though.
When I do sounds in Live where they are just below the red peaking line, these will be at a much lower level in Logic, giving much more headroom...but no sound quality differences that I can hear, just level differences. That's normal though.

billcarroll wrote:Everybody knows Ableton is louder, with higher fidelity of course :hihi:
fixed

Another thing could be pan laws. I dunno, iirc correctly, live 6 didn't have pan laws. If it still doesn't (or I just didn't know they were there) and you DO use -3/etc in logic then that could be it.

hibidy wrote:Another thing could be pan laws. I dunno, iirc correctly, live 6 didn't have pan laws. If it still doesn't (or I just didn't know they were there) and you DO use -3/etc in logic then that could be it.
Yep.
I noticed a difference between Live and Logic with that.
Logic has this kinda wider stereo range than Live imo, which is just with the monitoring, and has no effect on quality of audio, or similar though.

I agree with the OP. Ableton is more present imo...., but for some reason, i like the final sound of my tracks made in logic.

Attempting to do the same track in Logic and then in Live this year, my immediate impression was ...

- The track in Logic sounded like it had more depth somehow
- Live sounded a bit tighter and in my face

I tried my best to get all settings the same, but this was by no means scientific. I did the test for me.

Ultimately I decided to work in Live because my workflow is much faster, and while my results sounded different, Live still sounded great. You can probably tweak away until you get both DAWs sounding pretty darn similar, but to me the results I get do sound different.

I still miss Logic's built in plugins, and I think Logic's timeline is nicer than Live's. At the end of the day you could go back and forth forever, but there is something to be said for picking one DAW and learning the heck out of it. You'll learn to make it sound pretty much any way you want.

All i know is that if the OP is using the 64 bit beta of live, that could explain the anomaly, as it a has super encrypted 4096 bit analogue warmer under the hood.

You did not export the audio with normalize and other stuff in the render options list on?

ttoz wrote:All i know is that if the OP is using the 64 bit beta of live, that could explain the anomaly, as it a has super encrypted 4096 bit analogue warmer under the hood.
Hey ttoz... I recently saw someone here call you "Theo". Are you the same Theo who does those amazingly fast midi drawing orchestral compositions on YouTube, Theo Krueger? (pardon if I spelled it wrong)

Or is that just a coinkidink that you two are both named Theo?

coincidence i am afraid.. my last name starts with M, hence my nick, TheodoreM at other places.

Maybe the answer is...turn up/down the volume to get it where you want it?

EnGee wrote: I think some guys have such problems with most of the hosts. I'm not one of them :P
Which is the basic problem with making this kind of inquiry at KVR.

If forced to use any of the major DAWs around today, would any serious KVRian encounter real problems with the quality of the sound, volume, etc.?

That said, if you've got DAW envy and think you've found serious issues with the other guys, it might just do the trick... :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”