What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

WhySynth

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

briandc
KVRist
 
263 posts since 25 Jun, 2012, from Italy

Postby briandc; Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 pm WhySynth

Has anyone here played around with WhySynth? (linux-based, I believe..)

Absolutely mind-blowing. Probably more than 160 waveforms for each of the 4 oscillators, and something called "mode" that allows to select the type of "category" of the oscillator..

I'm only now starting to work with this one.. Huge. Just huge..

Anyone made any sounds on this one? I don't see it in the database here at KVR..
Incredible..

brian
User avatar
V0RT3X
KVRAF
 
4157 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Now all we need is

WhoSynth
WhatSynth
WhereSynth
WhenSynth

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ ... Journalism

:hihi:


Looks interesting though, I can't use it cause im on OSX.
Having the best tools and technical knowledge isn't gonna do much for you if you don't understand how to make good music.
User avatar
Axis1~SL61
KVRian
 
701 posts since 6 Jul, 2008, from Lost in the wilderness

Postby Axis1~SL61; Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:11 pm

some rival developer will soon come up with an appropriate answer to that whySynth -- the BECAUSEsynth !!! :hyper:
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
8648 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:51 pm

briandc wrote:Has anyone here played around with WhySynth? (linux-based, I believe..)


If Android can run it I will check it out :wink:
briandc
KVRist
 
263 posts since 25 Jun, 2012, from Italy

Postby briandc; Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Cute, cute...

Here's more reading:

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/whysynth

http://smbolton.com/whysynth.html


I don't know why this one isn't in the KVR database. There's not much out there that has all this one has to offer. (I hope they do a 1-synth challenge for this one!)

A true Beast to tweak. :D




brian
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
8648 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Isn't DSSI overtaken by LV2 now?
User avatar
mellotronaut
KVRAF
 
9983 posts since 2 Jan, 2005, from somewhere in the woods

Postby mellotronaut; Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Image
"It dreamed itself along"
User avatar
nineofkings
KVRian
 
820 posts since 9 Apr, 2011

Postby nineofkings; Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Is there a way to run it on Windows?
stonestreet
KVRist
 
249 posts since 25 Jan, 2009, from UK

Postby stonestreet; Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:40 am

V0RT3X wrote:Now all we need is

WhoSynth
WhatSynth
WhereSynth
WhenSynth

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ ... Journalism

:hihi:


Looks interesting though, I can't use it cause im on OSX.


VORT3X

It does run on OSX with jackpilot.

Have fun, Mark
briandc
KVRist
 
263 posts since 25 Jun, 2012, from Italy

Postby briandc; Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:57 am

Numanoid wrote:Isn't DSSI overtaken by LV2 now?


LV2 has replaced LADSPA. DSSI is a host. iirc..

brian
glokraw
KVRAF
 
5116 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Postby glokraw; Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:00 am

Whysynth is a stonking good instrument, and with Hexter DX7 sysex import, Phasex modulating audio inputs, yoshimi/zynaddsubfx exotica, using the
golden Calf Plugins, there is a vast array of sound at the linux fingertips,
with miniscule cpu and disk space hit.

Throw in Hydrogen and linuxsampler for samples and beats, the TAL ports managed by the KX guru, Rakarrack and Guitarix for multi-fx stringed powers, and call it a party. Soundcard must be supported by alsa, and many good ones are.
Its sure fun when all cylinders are firing, and your rig is on a usbstick,
so you can record a Thanksgiving session at Granny's, while the folks sleep
off the turkey, or holler at football teams! A gorgeous gui for whysynth
would be very welcome 8)
Cheers
glokraw
KVRAF
 
5116 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Postby glokraw; Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:09 am

Numanoid wrote:Isn't DSSI overtaken by LV2 now?

There is some new work done on dssi plugins that is quite nice.
You can use dssi apps with other LV2 things running. Both systems
have their developement drawbacks discussed at various times. The new Ardour 3
may not support dssi, but reaper doesn't care, and coexists politely
with most everything.

qtractor has LADSPA, DSSI, native VSTi and LV2 plug-in support.

http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtractor-index.html

Cheers
User avatar
stanlea
KVRAF
 
4623 posts since 11 Feb, 2005, from Bordeaux France

Postby stanlea; Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 am

Whysinth has been updated recently and is even better now. Of course, the GUI is not fancy, but the range of sound is very good. I rediscovered it.
You can't always get what you waaaant...
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
8648 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 am

glokraw wrote:Throw in Hydrogen and linuxsampler for samples and beats, the TAL ports managed by the KX guru, Rakarrack and Guitarix for multi-fx stringed powers, and call it a party. Soundcard must be supported by alsa, and many good ones are.
Its sure fun when all cylinders are firing, and your rig is on a usbstick


Sounds great, but I just find that modifications of Linux distros requires that one is an expert.

Unlike Windows, I can't just download WhySynth as a regular plug and quickly make it work with a simple host (like for instance SAVI host).

Trying to run a Linux plug that is not already included in a distro, like for instance LMMS (or WhySynth for that matter) in for example Ubuntu, just brings up a lot of questions about LADSA this or LV2 or jack that is missing :(

I just find that Linux either caters for the computer masters or the complete novices. The regular computer tinkers in between, gets locked out.

I had high hopes for Linux a couple of years back, but getting stuck in it, really made me understand that I had been spoilt on the Windows platform.
briandc
KVRist
 
263 posts since 25 Jun, 2012, from Italy

Postby briandc; Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:45 am

Numanoid wrote:
glokraw wrote:Throw in Hydrogen and linuxsampler for samples and beats, the TAL ports managed by the KX guru, Rakarrack and Guitarix for multi-fx stringed powers, and call it a party. Soundcard must be supported by alsa, and many good ones are.
Its sure fun when all cylinders are firing, and your rig is on a usbstick


Sounds great, but I just find that modifications of Linux distros requires that one is an expert.

Unlike Windows, I can't just download WhySynth as a regular plug and quickly make it work with a simple host (like for instance SAVI host).

Trying to run a Linux plug that is not already included in a distro, like for instance LMMS (or WhySynth for that matter) in for example Ubuntu, just brings up a lot of questions about LADSA this or LV2 or jack that is missing :(

I just find that Linux either caters for the computer masters or the complete novices. The regular computer tinkers in between, gets locked out.

I had high hopes for Linux a couple of years back, but getting stuck in it, really made me understand that I had been spoilt on the Windows platform.


I'm relatively new to Linux compared to you. (only 1 year that I'm really into it)
All I did was install Ubuntu Studio, then install the packages in KXStudio. I now have a beast of a machine with everything glokraw mentioned.

PLUS, I can run most Windows-based VSTis using FeSTige, or Reaper.

There really isn't much KXStudio can NOT do, imo. At least on this PC. ;)

Maybe lots of things have changed (developed) in Linux in recent years....?

brian
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments