Spectrum Analyzer S8

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spectrum Analyzer S8 support thread!!

Using Spectrum Analyzer S8 with Ableton Live and Soundflower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le8wfS_nh90

Hi Kevin. Now that I have SA S8 working in Ableton Live, I am now trying to make it work in Reaper because Ableton Live is a demo and I can't save projects. The problem now is that I am not sure if you can help me with new problems because you are a Mac user and I am a Windows 7 user and it is Reaper and not Ableton Live. Already, I am having problems because Reaper is not showing up in the Jack connections.

Also, I was trying to make a video of SA S8 in Windows XP but had to stop because SA S8 or is it Max runtimes were using 100% of the CPU. Weak computer.

I will try to copy the pics from the other thread to here. Maybe the texts too or else all might be out of context. :-o :shock: Might be easier to just use links and pointers. Be back in a while. Going to tackle the Reaper problems. :)

harryupbabble wrote:Hi Kevin. Now that I have SA S8 working in Ableton Live, I am now trying to make it work in Reaper because Ableton Live is a demo and I can't save projects. The problem now is that I am not sure if you can help me with new problems because you are a Mac user and I am a Windows 7 user and it is Reaper and not Ableton Live. Already, I am having problems because Reaper is not showing up in the Jack connections.

Also, I was trying to make a video of SA S8 in Windows XP but had to stop because SA S8 or is it Max runtimes were using 100% of the CPU. Weak computer.

I will try to copy the pics from the other thread to here. Maybe the texts too or else all might be out of context. :-o :shock: Might be easier to just use links and pointers. Be back in a while. Going to tackle the Reaper problems. :)
Harry, maybe you can upload the image or images and explain what you have done to get the S8 work with Jack. About the CPU usage, I think its Jack the problem or maybe Live but anyway, you can check this out with the task manager.
On the other hand, I found some data about the Jack-Reaper problem.

http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?p=7212
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 39236.html (this is for ubuntu, but maybe...)

When finished the DC12 I'll upgrade the S8 to work with ReWire protocol so I hope no more virtual cables for Windows users. Cheers!

kevinkripper wrote:Harry, maybe you can upload the image or images and explain what you have done to get the S8 work with Jack.

For Windows 7 64-bit, Jack version 1.9.8 will not work. Version 1.9.9 will work. In Spectrum Analyzer configuration, choose ad_asio_JackRouter as driver. Kevin knows better how to set up Spectrum Analyzer and Ableton Live. Get the Jack manual. It will tell you to configure PortAudio Target this way:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\jackd.exe" -R -S -d portaudio -d "ASIO::ASIO4ALL v2".

After a lot of trial and error, the set up in this picture is what worked for me. In the picture, left-hand side, is how I set up the Jack connections. To see the picture bigger in Firefox, right-click on it and then left-click on "View Image".

Kevin, it seems Jack and Reaper don't work good together so I downloaded the new Reaper version 4.30 and during the installation I put a check mark on the ReaRoute option. Supposedly, ReaRoute is Reaper's own version of Jack. Bbiab, will see if it works. :)

Oh wow! It's super-easy to get Spectrum Analyzer working with Reaper. Did it in like 2 minutes. Create an audio track, click the I/O button. A window pops up. Find the "Add new hardware output" thingy and click the downward arrow to the right. In the dropdown menu, choose ReaRoute 1 / ReaRoute 2. Repeat the same procedure to 7 more audio tracks. Spectrum Analyzer can do 8 tracks, right Kevin? And that's how easy it is. Reaper rocks. :D

All eight Reaper tracks being displayed in Spectrum Analyzer. :)

Sorry Kevin, I have to let you know: high CPU usage in Windos XP. :(

Also seems high in Windows 7. :(

harryupbabble wrote:Oh wow! It's super-easy to get Spectrum Analyzer working with Reaper. Did it in like 2 minutes. Create an audio track, click the I/O button. A window pops up. Find the "Add new hardware output" thingy and click the downward arrow to the right. In the dropdown menu, choose ReaRoute 1 / ReaRoute 2. Repeat the same procedure to 7 more audio tracks. Spectrum Analyzer can do 8 tracks, right Kevin? And that's how easy it is. Reaper rocks. :D
Hey congratulations!!! And awsome feature of Reaper!! So, you used the S8 with Jack and the S8 with this feature of Reaper without trouble, that is really good!!...and wait to test the S8 without virtual cables but with ReWire protocol, it is also really cool!!
harryupbabble wrote:Sorry Kevin, I have to let you know: high CPU usage in Windos XP. :(
Also seems high in Windows 7. :(
About that, I'am really sorry, here I have a 12 GB RAM computer with a SSD HD so that's why I didn't notice that. i'll try to fix it in my next update. Thanks Harry.
Last edited by kevinkripper on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin, I hope the possible bug is easy to fix. About Reaper... nope, it doesn't need Jack running at all. ReaRoute is an internal Reaper thingy and it seems its capabilities is identical to Jack's. :D

Kevin, this app is really awesome. I used it with Logic Pro 9, and Soundflower and it worked like a charm. It's really great the way I can clearly see the frequencies where my tracks are overlapping. Although, it would be great if I could change the window size of the analyzer. You have my 5 points!

max wrote: it would be great if I could change the window size of the analyzer.
Hey thanks for trying it out. mmmm well, this was going to be a surprise but for version 2.0 of the S8 (that will be released few days after the end of the DC12) i'm working (among other things) on this cool new feature that allows users to set the range of frequencies that the analyzer will show. This mean its going to be very accurate in all the spectrum. Here is a picture of the work in progress: you can see the S8 showing from 694Hz to 3.13kHz. Cheers!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21 ... at132.png/

Hi Kevin. :). How's it going with the tweakings? I have been using SA S8 a lot in Reaper. I noticed that SA S8 does not have a "always-stay-on-top" option. Or is that option there somewhere and I just can't find it? If it's not there, I don't know if that could be considered a bug or a needed function.

Windows 7 with 8GB memory can handle SA S8 and Reaper simultaneously without problem but Windows XP cannot. But then again, I myself do not use Windows XP as much anymore.

About making a video of SA S8, I tried and tried but Windows 7, or more specifically, "Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture", kept displaying
this message: "Audio is used by other application or is in conflict with other devices." It's as if MEE4SC wants another audio card installed. If anybody has a solution that doesn't require installing another audio card, please share. :)

harryupbabble wrote:Hi Kevin. :). How's it going with the tweakings? I have been using SA S8 a lot in Reaper. I noticed that SA S8 does not have a "always-stay-on-top" option. Or is that option there somewhere and I just can't find it? If it's not there, I don't know if that could be considered a bug or a needed function.
Harry, the tweakings are great. I've been working a lot in new features. The S8 2.0 is going to be awsome! The version 1.0 doesn't have an "always-stay-on-top" option but be sure that next version (that will be released few days after the end of the DC12) will have it, so stay tuned!
harryupbabble wrote:About making a video of SA S8, I tried and tried but Windows 7, or more specifically, "Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture", kept displaying
this message: "Audio is used by other application or is in conflict with other devices." It's as if MEE4SC wants another audio card installed. If anybody has a solution that doesn't require installing another audio card, please share. :)
Try to record the output or making a new track with the mix and then paste the audio to the screen recording. Cheers!

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”