What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Music without the right "artist" is dead

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

itsDavidAbraham
KVRist

59 posts since 17 Sep, 2011

Postby itsDavidAbraham; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:02 am Music without the right "artist" is dead

Take your best production, put a talented local singer on it. It goes nowhere,

put Rihanna on it, Same lyrics same melodies.

It goes everywhere and you're rich.
Sendy
KVRAF

4452 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Postby Sendy; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:06 am

Yep. The only way to make a decent amount of money... is to have a decent amount of money :tantrum:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp!
GeckoYamori
KVRist

313 posts since 22 Feb, 2004

Postby GeckoYamori; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:06 am

You're probably trying to reach out to a demographic which is more interested in celebrity worship rather than actual music, making it a hopeless endeavor from the start. Those types of consumers will never care about whatever music is attached to the brand they're buying.
blueman
KVRian

1290 posts since 28 May, 2008, from Saint Paul, MN

Postby blueman; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:19 am

GeckoYamori wrote:You're probably trying to reach out to a demographic which is more interested in celebrity worship rather than actual music, making it a hopeless endeavor from the start. Those types of consumers will never care about whatever music is attached to the brand they're buying.

Yep, and THEY are the majority. Original music, as art, is moving more and more into an avant-garde form. Everthing else is grist for the entertainment mill or background noise to be ignored. Perhaps, music was always destined to return to a local endeveor of entertainment and self-expression. Nothing wrong with that. 8)
Doug1978
KVRian

1472 posts since 19 Jun, 2011, from Sendai, Japan

Postby Doug1978; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:21 am

itsDavidAbraham wrote:Take your best production, put a talented local singer on it. It goes nowhere,

It goes everywhere and you're rich.

I'm pretty sure you're being tongue in cheek, but if not then I call bollocks.

Music isn't dead just 'cos Simon Cowell said so.
itsDavidAbraham
KVRist

Postby itsDavidAbraham; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:38 am

GeckoYamori wrote:You're probably trying to reach out to a demographic which is more interested in celebrity worship rather than actual music, making it a hopeless endeavor from the start. Those types of consumers will never care about whatever music is attached to the brand they're buying.

Kinda....the consumer is now relying on brands to endorse the music..no endorsement...no hit.
And they endorse it by being the "vocalist". Today singers are really spokesmodels for the songs.
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

21476 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:43 am

so how is this different from the rest of the history of popular music?
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
blueman
KVRian

Postby blueman; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:44 am

Doug1978 wrote:Music isn't dead just 'cos Simon Cowell said so.

Simon Cowell is the one who KILLED it! :-o :lol:
Last edited by blueman on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueman
KVRian

Postby blueman; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:50 am

whyterabbyt wrote:so how is this different from the rest of the history of popular music?

It's different because of the ubiquity of, and easy access to, all music, as well as the sheer volume being produced and distributed daily. That's influencing consumer behavior in new ways. Yeah, the story may seem similar but I think we are certainly in a new era where being successful is more closely linked to a personal brand that is more concerned with performance and image than original expression (as an art form). Many of the classic bands would not have a shot today because they relied only on a committed fan base and creating "good music". Today's fans are FAR more fickle and a lot less loyal than ever before. That's what I'm seeing anyway. :shrug:
Last edited by blueman on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shabdahbriah
KVRAF

4324 posts since 19 Jun, 2008

Postby Shabdahbriah; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:51 am

whyterabbyt wrote:so how is this different from the rest of the history of popular music?

Precisely! "Popular" by nature is 'trendy', and "trendy" by nature is fickle.

Adapt, improvise, innovate, or get used to it being beyond your particular 'reach' (if not interest), and withdraw from the 'machine' all together.

[2c]
Perception is the ultimate "reality" ~ but not, the ultimate Truth.
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

1852 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:55 am

That's a machine I never had interest in. Respect of peers and a small income would be sufficient.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
itsDavidAbraham
KVRist

Postby itsDavidAbraham; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:57 am

Difference wasn't suggested :)
But newer generations are not born with knowledge of the truth.
cryophonik
KVRAF

4057 posts since 6 Sep, 2006, from Elk Grove, CA

Postby cryophonik; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 am

itsDavidAbraham wrote:Take your best production, put a talented local singer on it. It goes nowhere,

Why not just spend less time in the studio, and spend more time working on your appearance and image, and you'll be rich and famous with almost no effort. Seems like a no-brainer to me. :shrug:
Last edited by cryophonik on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
debra1rlo
KVRAF

9671 posts since 13 Nov, 2006, from in Uranus, playin' lollipop

Postby debra1rlo; Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:00 am

marmoset there'd be days like this, there'd be days like this, my marmoset
I'm an Agnew
and ur not
blueman
KVRian

Postby blueman; Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:00 am

Shabdahbriah wrote:

Precisely! "Popular" by nature is 'trendy', and "trendy" by nature is fickle.

Fair enough, but it IS different by virtue of the variables (new technology) changing. I don't know how you can claim that popular music is as it always was when we now have music downloads, sample libraries and auto-tune. Today, so-called "real" band music is easily (and indistinguishably) replaced by something manufactured by a single person in a bedroom with the above tools readily (and mostly, freely) available. That, to me, is the game changer and its effects on what we are calling "popular music" are evident.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)