What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Blamsoft VK-1 Viking synth Rack Extension for Reason

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Dogboy73
KVRian

1094 posts since 29 Jan, 2004, from UK

Postby Dogboy73; Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 pm Blamsoft VK-1 Viking synth Rack Extension for Reason

http://blamsoft.com/rack-extensions/viking/

Guess what synth it's based on!! :D
Numanoid
KVRAF

7922 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:24 am

Dogboy73 wrote:http://blamsoft.com/rack-extensions/viking/

Guess what synth it's based on!! :D

Hmmm, maybe Bob Moog's favourite football team was the Minnesota Vikings? :D

How much will this retail for?
cyberheater
KVRist

412 posts since 28 Jan, 2004

Postby cyberheater; Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:08 am

It like have a Moog Voyager in your rack. Stunning. Those filters are awesome.

Numanoid
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:12 am

Just 59 bucks (until Dec 31), not bad :hyper:

I'm getting Reasons Essentials now, so looks tempting....
cyberheater
KVRist

412 posts since 28 Jan, 2004

Postby cyberheater; Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:47 am

Numanoid wrote:Just 59 bucks (until Dec 31), not bad :hyper:

I'm getting Reasons Essentials now, so looks tempting....

It's worth getting Reason Essentials just to host this and Antidote. Both amazing synths.
Dogboy73
KVRian

Postby Dogboy73; Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Mixed response to this on the Props boards, which I guess is going to be pretty standard for any new synth RE post Antidote. Seeing as this is clearly an emulation of the Moog Voyager I'm glad they've made Viking monophonic. But a lot of people are seeing this as a negative. A lot of people (including me) are very pleased they have a Moog emulation in the Reason rack. But I'm wondering would people be as interested in this if it was just a new monosynth in Reason and not an emulation of a Moog Voyager? One big problem for emulations is that they obviously draw comparisons with the hardware they are emulating. Invariably this leads to many (not least owners / users of the original synth) to proclaim it sounds nothing like the original! I suppose the bottom line should really be how good does this thing sound / perform. Forget its a Voyager emulation for a second. How does it stand on its own Merritt?
IncarnateX
KVRAF

1790 posts since 25 Jan, 2009

Postby IncarnateX; Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 pm

I passed Antidote because I already got PredatorRE but I have just testet this and I am all in. Great bass synth IMO. Despite it's simple layout it can do some cool things like spreading the filter and morph from one waveform to the other if you automate the waveselector. It comes without effects, so running it through a couple makes it more easy to compare with antidote and Predator. It has a good deal of cv inputs as well as outputs too. Me like.

on a side note, I think it' architecture might be inpired by Voyager but it is hardly a component modeled emulation of it.
Dogboy73
KVRian

Postby Dogboy73; Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:58 pm

IncarnateX wrote:on a side note, I think it' architecture might be inpired by Voyager but it is hardly a component modeled emulation of it.

Maybe the GUI, which looks exactly like the Voyager front panel, wasn't the best idea then. But I think it's clear what the devs were trying to do, at least as far as the GUI is concerned.
@midnight
KVRAF

1584 posts since 22 Apr, 2011, from The House of Zaid

Postby @midnight; Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:32 pm

hmm no VST version for this beauty with one of the best GUI I have ever seen?

I am looking for moog sounds, shame.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

7700 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:08 pm

cyberheater wrote:It like have a Moog Voyager in your rack. Stunning. Those filters are awesome.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
IncarnateX
KVRAF

Postby IncarnateX; Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:55 pm

VitaminD wrote:
cyberheater wrote:It like have a Moog Voyager in your rack. Stunning. Those filters are awesome.

:lol:

A naughty little troll you are! Me like :D
Numanoid
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:41 am

IncarnateX wrote:I have just testet this and I am all in. Great bass synth IMO.

But isn't SubTractor already catering to that need, a great bass synth?
IncarnateX
KVRAF

Postby IncarnateX; Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:41 am

Numanoid wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:I have just testet this and I am all in. Great bass synth IMO.

But isn't SubTractor already catering to that need, a great bass synth?

There are some great bass synths in Reason depending on your needs but what this can do and sound like are not covered by Subtractor for sure. Subtractor has only two osc whereas Viking has three. You would get closer with Thor but then again you are not to able to morph between triangle pulse and saw, and the filter spacing of Viking would also be hard to recreate, you might need two Thors and some combinator settings for for that. Then there are a good deal if cv in and out options that makes it even more modular in nature than both Thor and Subtractor. Finally I will say that both the osc of Viking and the filters sound better to me than both subtractor's and Thor's.

That said, it should be noted that looking at features alone, what most REs can do can basically be covered with Reason's onboard synths and at worst complex combinators. But you can not achieve exactly the same results soundwise, this is where REs like Predator Re, Antidote and Viking contribute with their particular sound.

Cheers
eXode
KVRian

521 posts since 2 Jun, 2004, from Tellus

Postby eXode; Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:57 am

I prefer Thor for my moog sounds tbh. I think Thor does a better "raw" sound a'la original minimoog model d than what the Viking can produce. But it requires that you know how to program Thor properly (i.e. apply some tricks for snappier exponential envelopes etc), but it's all do-able inside the box.

This is no DIVA.
Last edited by eXode on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnochLight
KVRist

254 posts since 20 Mar, 2012, from Detroit, MI

Postby EnochLight; Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:30 am

eXode wrote:This is no DIVA.

Speaking of which: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366778
  • Reaper | too many VSTi's to name
  • Reason 7.1 | Balance Audio Interface | Nektar Tech Panorama P4 | too many RE's to name
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments