Spectrasonics Sampling Policy

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spectrasonics has a policy that you can't sample their virtual instruments, to use in your own commercial sample libraries or virtual instruments.

This is a policy that is very uncommon and one that I personally disagree with.

I know they put in many thousands if not millions of hours to create the sounds in their products, as well the product engines themselves. However, if I made a virtual instrument, I would be honored if people even wanted to sample it to create commercial sample libraries and new virtual instruments.

All three spectrasonics products are such vast instruments with unimaginable possibilities, and the guys at spectrasonics are such nice guys. I don't understand their feelings about preventing people to create new and exciting products, utilizing their products to do so.

daExpert wrote:Spectrasonics has a policy that you can't sample their virtual instruments, to use in your own commercial sample libraries or virtual instruments.

I know they put in many thousands if not millions of hours to create the sounds in their products, as well the product engines themselves. However, if I made a virtual instrument, I would be honored if people even wanted to sample it to create commercial sample libraries and new virtual instruments.

All three spectrasonics products are such vast instruments with unimaginable possibilities, and the guys at spectrasonics are such nice guys. I don't understand their feelings about preventing people to create new and exciting products, utilizing their products to do so.
ok

daExpert wrote:I would be honored if people even wanted to sample it to create commercial sample libraries and new virtual instruments.
Spend the next several years and bags of money doing so and see if you still feel the same.

So you think it should be ok to take samples that somebody recorded over the period of many years, with thousands of hours of tweaking and editing and shaping, with top equipment they purchased for the project, and instruments they had to spend time and money acquiring.............and record it and sell it for profit?

They don't allow it because their instruments are mostly sample-based. It takes a lot of work to record and edit this stuff. You shouldn't be able to just record it, throw some effects on it, and then sell it as your own. What would stop somebody from just sampling all the presets, then selling it for a tenth of the price, and then Spectrasonics loses business because somebody was too lazy to do the grunt work themselves?

Now that wouldn't be fair, would it?

Brent
My host is better than your host

daExpert wrote:Spectrasonics has a policy that you can't sample their virtual instruments, to use in your own commercial sample libraries or virtual instruments.
Sounds totally normal and legit to me. You're buying an instrument, not a sample library to make money out of it.

daExpert wrote: This is a policy that is very uncommon....
no it isn't - its entirely normal for sample based instruments.
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

daExpert wrote:This is a policy that is very uncommon
Wrong, 'daExpert'. It's very common, I'd say universal, among sample based instruments, like all Spectrasonics products are.

daExpert wrote:
Uncommon? Really? Name another company that allows you to re-purpose their copyrighted samples for sale without permission and/or license to do so.

Well their instrument is sample based meaning they put the work into creating the sounds you use to make other sounds. It's completely up to them in terms of how they licence that usage.

I don't think its unfair.

biomechanoid wrote:
daExpert wrote: This is a policy that is very uncommon....
no it isn't - its entirely normal for sample based instruments.
Indeed it is.

BTW- hey Col *waves*

ew
A spectral heretic...

koolkeys wrote:So you think it should be ok to take samples that somebody recorded over the period of many years, with thousands of hours of tweaking and editing and shaping, with top equipment they purchased for the project, and instruments they had to spend time and money acquiring.............and record it and sell it for profit?

Brent
Yes, I do.

They, themselves, used countless synths, romplers, and effects to create their own instruments. Did they get permission from these people to use their products? Yes, they did. So why are they denying permission to other people to use their products to create new and exciting products? I don't know.
koolkeys wrote:What would stop somebody from just sampling all the presets, then selling it for a tenth of the price, and then Spectrasonics loses business because somebody was too lazy to do the grunt work themselves?
Yes, somebody could do that, but it wouldn't cost spectrasonics any business. It would just make spectrasonics more popular.

New and exciting commercial or non-commercial instruments based on the sound-generating potential of spectrasonics software wouldn't hurt spectrasonics.

It's not like anyone is trying to compete with spectrasonics or replace them, just adding to what already exists. The more the merrier.

They're not saying you can't get permission. They're just not giving it away.

OP = wrong attitude...

Sampleconstruct wrote:OP = wrong attitude...
If that's what you think, that's your problem. I didn't make the post in anger or whatever negative emotion your assuming I did.

daExpert wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:OP = wrong attitude...
If that's what you think, that's your problem. I didn't make the post in anger or whatever negative emotion your assuming I did.
You didn't sound angry, I just think that your opinion about this topic is wrong, that's all.

Return to “Instruments”