Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

January Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

User avatar
mellotronaut
KVRAF
 
9990 posts since 2 Jan, 2005, from somewhere in the woods

Postby mellotronaut; Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:14 am

kryptonaut wrote:I can't hear ClaRago's entry as anything other than 3/4 time. Am I listening to it in the wrong way?


partly yes: try to dance a Waltz to it! you'll find 'one two one two three, one two one two three etc.'

ClaRago wrote:I sort of realised it was not a proper waltz as it was going poum-poum-poum poum-poum .


:)

maybe a good topic for next month's contest: ¡do the Zwiefacher! :hihi: :oops:
"It dreamed itself along"
User avatar
kryptonaut
KVRian
 
583 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Postby kryptonaut; Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:41 am

mellotronaut wrote:try to dance a Waltz to it! you'll find 'one two one two three, one two one two three etc.'

maybe a good topic for next month's contest: ¡do the Zwiefacher! :hihi: :oops:


Hmmm... what I hear is closer to 'ONE two AND three ONE TWO THREE', so still fitting into a 3/4 signature, and quite waltzable-to. The score linked from the Wikipedia Zwiefacher page is rather different: Schaufelstiel (pdf)

But yes, a Zwiefacher theme would be interesting :)

[Edit:] 'Golden Brown' by The Stranglers is something that I would say had 'Zwiefacher' sections to it. 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2, 1 2, ... I remember it being very hard to dance to when I was a student, but that may have been because of the beer :D
ClaRago
KVRist
 
355 posts since 1 Dec, 2011

Postby ClaRago; Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:52 am

Sorry for having started a "time signature war". It confirmed me however into getting serious with one of my new year's resolutions which is to take some music theory lessons .I am a bit embarrassed of not being able to confirm the signature of my own submission.
User avatar
kryptonaut
KVRian
 
583 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Postby kryptonaut; Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:29 am

War? Nah, just a friendly discussion between a couple of 'nauts :lol:

Theory can be interesting, but knowing theory isn't essential to making good music. I suppose sometimes it might be useful when talking about it, though! :) Anyway, it's certainly not something to feel embarrassed about.
User avatar
mellotronaut
KVRAF
 
9990 posts since 2 Jan, 2005, from somewhere in the woods

Postby mellotronaut; Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 am

kryptonaut wrote:War? Nah, just a friendly discussion between a couple of 'nauts :lol:


exactly. i love me some '-nauts' :love: :hihi:

kryptonaut wrote:Theory can be interesting, but knowing theory isn't essential to making good music. I suppose sometimes it might be useful when talking about it, though! :) Anyway, it's certainly not something to feel embarrassed about.


that's it.

i agree mostly on 'Golden Brown', but there is also some ordinary 4/4 going on, imo.

:D
"It dreamed itself along"
ClaRago
KVRist
 
355 posts since 1 Dec, 2011

Postby ClaRago; Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:48 am

According to songfacts.com:
The intro (and the parts like it) sound like three bars of 3/4, then one of 4/4, with the rest just straight 3/4 like a waltz.
I do not know ,a great song anyway.

Kryptonaut , you actually attempted to dance to that tune? Did you waltz or did you zwiefach?
User avatar
mellotronaut
KVRAF
 
9990 posts since 2 Jan, 2005, from somewhere in the woods

Postby mellotronaut; Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 am

ClaRago wrote:According to songfacts.com:
The intro (and the parts like it) sound like three bars of 3/4, then one of 4/4, with the rest just straight 3/4 like a waltz.
I do not know ,a great song anyway.


this means: onetwothreeonetwothreeonetwothreeonetwoonetwo (Zwiefacher) and then Waltz

ClaRago wrote:Kryptonaut , you actually attempted to dance to that tune? Did you waltz or did you zwiefach?


well, he waltzed a nauty zwie :-o :party:

Image
"It dreamed itself along"
User avatar
kryptonaut
KVRian
 
583 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Postby kryptonaut; Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:25 am

I think I lurched drunkenly from one foot to the other in a rhythmically complex and ever-changing pattern, probably completely unrelated to the song's time-signature. :)

Actually, on reflection I'm now wondering whether your song would be better described as 6/8... :help:
User avatar
Mister Natural
KVRAF
 
1513 posts since 28 Oct, 2007, from michigan

Postby Mister Natural; Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:45 pm

wrestling with a new piece this month & all I can say here is "arghhh !"
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google

https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks
ClaRago
KVRist
 
355 posts since 1 Dec, 2011

Postby ClaRago; Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:01 am

Mister Natural wrote:wrestling with a new piece this month & all I can say here is "arghhh !"

Glad to see you back anyway. You still have a few days to sort it out.

@ ..nauts & co
This what my friend who is a piano & singing teacher had to say:

"I have just listened to the waltz and if I had to give it a time signature, I would have given it a compound duple time one ie 6/8. More a duple feel than triple, which is why I would not give it the traditional waltz time signature. "

I wish you all a good week end full of music , waltzing, lurching or whatever you feel like.
Image
User avatar
mellotronaut
KVRAF
 
9990 posts since 2 Jan, 2005, from somewhere in the woods

Postby mellotronaut; Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:32 am

ClaRago wrote:@ ..nauts & co
This what my friend who is a piano & singing teacher had to say:

"I have just listened to the waltz and if I had to give it a time signature, I would have given it a compound duple time one ie 6/8. More a duple feel than triple, which is why I would not give it the traditional waltz time signature. "

I wish you all a good week end full of music , waltzing, lurching or whatever you feel like.
Image


sounds like a compromise between the nauty boys :hihi:

cheers :)
"It dreamed itself along"
Aziraphal
KVRian
 
754 posts since 21 Sep, 2006, from Kranj, Slovenia

Postby Aziraphal; Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:19 am

Yay, my wonderful family ran away to granma's and left me to record some epic (and very loud) choirs in peace. (neighbors' peace is another matter but I guess the walls are thick enough).

And never mind the latin bollocios, the ditty will now bear the catchy title of Triskaidekaphobia! :D

Cheers Matt
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.
User avatar
Mister Natural
KVRAF
 
1513 posts since 28 Oct, 2007, from michigan

Postby Mister Natural; Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm in !

I think my piece tells the story for me of a dis-quieting moon

comments appreciated on my SoundCloud page

peace
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google

https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks
Soughtafter Sounds
KVRer
 
20 posts since 13 Nov, 2012

Postby Soughtafter Sounds; Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 am

Thank you Irion Da Ronin for your comments it means a lot :)

With this being the first time in entering the competition, I would just like to say "Hi all" and happy to be part of the great & welcoming atmosphere on KVR.
Professional Audio Architecture
Zabrilla
KVRist
 
32 posts since 23 Jan, 2012, from Liverpool

Postby Zabrilla; Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:29 am

Hi All, glad to join in this month, great fun reading through KVR, I really enjoyed listening to the other submissions, mine feels a little bit mainstream in comparison haha but there we go :)
PreviousNext

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe