What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

2012 purchase regrets?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

3910 posts since 15 Dec, 2009

Postby V'ger; Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11 pm 2012 purchase regrets?

Which apps or plugins you bought last year seemed a good idea at the time, but later turned out to be big regrets?

Instead of having multiple similar threads in every section of the forum here, all audio software can be listed here, synth, effect, DAW or whatever.

The products don't have be released in 2012, just bought by you that year.

For me it was FL Studio (too cumbersome to use)
ElectraX (wrongly forced to uninstall/sell by developer)
LinComp (doesn't even start)
angelboy

4606 posts since 20 Aug, 2001, from Larnaca, Cyprus

Postby TristezaOrange; Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 pm

I REGRET NOTHING!!!!!
KVRist

356 posts since 17 Nov, 2004, from Penrith, Australia

Postby jacqueslacouth; Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:25 pm

DIVA and Omnisphere, never again will I listen to the hype.
KVRAF

2764 posts since 13 Jan, 2005, from Deutschland

Postby murnau; Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:27 pm

V'ger wrote:Which apps or plugins you bought last year seemed a good idea at the time, but later turned out to be big regrets?

For me it was FL Studio (too cumbersome to use)

ever heard that IL provide a great functional demo of FL? so why you bought it? pretty unfair imo.
“Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more” ― Nikola Tesla
KVRian

1285 posts since 3 Jan, 2005

Postby fedexnman; Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:28 pm

I regret DAW hopping . Buying selling trading Hosts sucks , Im gonna stick with one from now on , but on another note if something new comes out again . lol :hihi:
KVRAF

6944 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:30 pm

I use Oxiyum in Cubeass.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
KVRian

815 posts since 27 Sep, 2009, from Bristol UK

Postby leggie; Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:37 pm

I got an app on the iPad this year called sleep talker and it's destroyed my arguement with the missus how much i snore and wheese when im asleep !
KVRist

134 posts since 2 Apr, 2011

Postby revo11; Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:43 pm

absynth, should've just bought zebra...
KVRAF

3910 posts since 15 Dec, 2009

Postby V'ger; Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:51 pm

murnau wrote:ever heard that IL provide a great functional demo of FL? so why you bought it?

Nothing great about it. Just a regular demo. Great would be 60 days fully functional like Reaper. Bought it as it was half price with only a few days left of the sale and was thinking to use it for collaboration. Gave it a fair good shot because of it, but had to park it. Now I can't even sell it because Image-Line (as I believe the only DAW maker?) doesn't allow me to do so.. :dog: (another reason to regret it)
KVRist

356 posts since 25 Aug, 2005, from North California

Postby ksandvik; Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:10 pm

revo11 wrote:absynth, should've just bought zebra...

Absynth is special, but if you were looking for a typical subtractive synth, it ain't that.
KVRAF

1517 posts since 28 Jul, 2003

Postby Ben H; Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Translator Pro.

I was hoping that since it had now reached "version 6" that it wouldn't be such a buggy piece of crap, like the old version was.

Bad news. It's still a buggy piece of crap, but it looks prettier.

I submitted a few bug reports of reproducable errors and heard back the first couple of times, then nothing. No response, no acknowledgements, no requests for more info, nothing.

I have a pile more bugs I've uncovered, but I'm not feeling motivated to bother sending them if they aren't even going to be read or worked on.

Oh well, I got it at half price. I guess I should be grateful.
My innocuous sig ;)

My main tools: Alchemy, Iris, Kontakt, Omnisphere, Padshop Pro, and SWAM.
KVRAF

2506 posts since 1 Dec, 2004, from Sydney, Australia

Postby dalor; Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 pm

V'ger wrote:Which apps or plugins you bought last year seemed a good idea at the time, but later turned out to be big regrets?
Lexicon Total Bundle. Not for its quality but its extreme price drop.
Cowbells!
KVRian

939 posts since 26 Nov, 2005

Postby JJBiener; Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:35 pm

I don't have any regrets. Quite the contrary. Some of the things I picked up cheap at the auction turned out to be far cooler than I thought when I was bidding on them. It is always good to get more than what was expected.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.
KVRist

134 posts since 2 Apr, 2011

Postby revo11; Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm

who said anything about "looking for a typical subtractive synth"? It's not like zebra is all about vanilla subtractive synthesis.

Absynth is not terrible, my issue is the quality of the oscillators and effects isn't particularly inspiring. I'm not sure if it's an aliasing issue or what, but my reaction to most absynth patches is, "that's kindof a cool processing/modulation concept, but the sound itself isn't that great". With zebra, even the pure oscillators sound damn good.

It does seem to capture a certain 90s-era processing-centric idm sound, but imo everything it does, other synths can do better at this point. One could argue that zebra can't do the sample-based processing, but then alchemy is a few notches above absynth in that regard.

ksandvik wrote:
revo11 wrote:absynth, should've just bought zebra...

Absynth is special, but if you were looking for a typical subtractive synth, it ain't that.
KVRAF

2462 posts since 30 May, 2006, from US / Italy

Postby liquidsound; Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:03 pm

jacqueslacouth wrote:DIVA and Omnisphere, never again will I listen to the hype.
:o
MuLab & MUX, Zebra-Bazille-ACE-Diva-Diversion-Dune2-Xils4-Aalto
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments