What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Is Scarbee Rickenbacker For Me?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRian
 
842 posts since 27 Sep, 2010

Postby synchronizer; Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 am Is Scarbee Rickenbacker For Me?

Hello everyone.

I'm now looking forward to purchasing a bass library for kontakt (The Scarbee Rickenbacker and To-Be-Released Orange Tree Samples Rickenbacker in particular).

Both are going to be excellent, but I'm wondering if the Scarbee bass pick style would fit the type of music that I compose. I am inspired by disco, bouncy bass, etc. and don't normally write anything harsh or gritty. I'm used to incorporating piano into my pieces.

At the moment I'm preparing to remix one of my VERY old tunes (below.) It uses Cubase's Halion Sonic SE synth/sample hybrid VSTi:

http://soundcloud.com/synchronizerman/t ... -karl-toby

and replace the Scarbee MM bass in this work-in-progress:

http://db.tt/CYcooezG


I know that the Orange Tree Samples will have a superior round robin (32x I hear!), but the Scarbee bass uses more velocity layers while the Orange Tree Bass will use a certain script that simulates seamless velocities (but there are only 3 real ones)

The Scarbee Rickenbacker might have too few round robins, but since I've been using the Scarbee MM bass, I am accustomed to its method of achieving slurs.

What would you say is the best course of action? Both companies produce excellent-quality work, but I'm not likely to purchase both the Scarbee and Orange Tree samples basses at once, though I would like to do so. I must also consider that Orange Tree Samples might not be TOO close to finishing its bass.

What would you all say is the best course of action?

Thanks
AKJ
KVRAF
 
1767 posts since 1 Mar, 2004

Postby AKJ; Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 am

I'd rather suggest the Scarbee MM.

If you like to hear if a Rickenbacker sound is for you, just try this free one:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ckenbacker

(I did the kontakt version of it)

cheers, akj
KVRian
 
842 posts since 27 Sep, 2010

Postby synchronizer; Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:20 pm

Hello AKJ,

I apologize if I didn't make this more clear, but:

synchronizer wrote:and replace the Scarbee MM bass in this work-in-progress:
http://db.tt/CYcooezG


I already have the Scarbee MM bass. I'm looking for a different bass sound just like that of the Rickenbacker---the main
issue is deciding if the PICKED Scarbee Rickenbacker would fit with the music that I linked, or if I should wait for the Orange Tree samples FINGERED Rickenbacker. Also, both products have advantages and disadvantages that I listed above
Sorry for the confusion.
AKJ
KVRAF
 
1767 posts since 1 Mar, 2004

Postby AKJ; Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:06 pm

synchronizer wrote:Hello AKJ,

I apologize if I didn't make this more clear, but:

synchronizer wrote:and replace the Scarbee MM bass in this work-in-progress:
http://db.tt/CYcooezG


I already have the Scarbee MM bass. I'm looking for a different bass sound just like that of the Rickenbacker---the main
issue is deciding if the PICKED Scarbee Rickenbacker would fit with the music that I linked, or if I should wait for the Orange Tree samples FINGERED Rickenbacker. Also, both products have advantages and disadvantages that I listed above
Sorry for the confusion.


for your music I wiould rather pic the MM bass. If you prefer a Rickenbacker: nobody can currently know how the sound of the Orange Tree product will be.

Why not try the free one?
KVRian
 
842 posts since 27 Sep, 2010

Postby synchronizer; Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Actually, I have tried it about three times---in the past two months. For some reason, no matter what I do, all of the sames are missing according to the Kontakt dialogue. I've downloaded each of the four .rar packages and re-downloaded them several times. I've then unpackaged them into the same folder. Regardless of the .nki or multi that I open, only about 10-20 of the 200 or so samples are found. I'd really love to try the Rickenbacker library for Kontakt that you've linked, but it isn't working on my end. (I have the full Kontakt)

Also, I like the MM bass. It has served me well, but because it lacks certain round robin samples and it's a little outdated, it has made it difficult for me to compose in certain styles. A Rickenbacker would probably be a good supplement.

ALSO, there are two alpha recordings of the Orange Tree samples library floating around.
What do you think?:

http://www.orangetreesamples.gregjazz.c ... ionaut.mp3

http://www.gregjazz.com/upload/Rickenjam.mp3
AKJ
KVRAF
 
1767 posts since 1 Mar, 2004

Postby AKJ; Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:34 pm

ps:
if you want a bass with a very distinct attack I would rather go for:
pettinhouse direct bass picked (even the free light edition is great)
manytone ultimate bass kit (picked articulation)
or wizzoo vintage bass (flatwound) picked which, however, is no more available.

cheers, akj


ps: however, for disco-funk style scarbee MM is the thing
KVRian
 
842 posts since 27 Sep, 2010

Postby synchronizer; Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Okay.

Would you be able to help me get the free Rickenbacker working and...

What do you think of the Orange Tree Rickenbacker alpha demos above?
AKJ
KVRAF
 
1767 posts since 1 Mar, 2004

Postby AKJ; Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:41 pm

for the free rickenbacker:

you really need to download all sample packs (should be more then 4). in total, there are 1305 needed for the kontakt version. here, I did some very cool things. for example, i used the machinegun-killer script for round rbin simulation. works very well.

unfortunately the original author has ben silent to allow the repackaging og his samples. he has been several times offered. that would make it a lot easier to have everthing together (just unpack and be happy). Maybe, it will come one day...
KVRian
 
842 posts since 27 Sep, 2010

Postby synchronizer; Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:43 pm



Hmmm... I only see 4 links.
AKJ
KVRAF
 
1767 posts since 1 Mar, 2004

Postby AKJ; Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:45 pm

synchronizer wrote:Actually, I have tried it about three times---in the past two months. For some reason, no matter what I do, all of the sames are missing according to the Kontakt dialogue. I've downloaded each of the four .rar packages and re-downloaded them several times. I've then unpackaged them into the same folder. Regardless of the .nki or multi that I open, only about 10-20 of the 200 or so samples are found. I'd really love to try the Rickenbacker library for Kontakt that you've linked, but it isn't working on my end. (I have the full Kontakt)

Also, I like the MM bass. It has served me well, but because it lacks certain round robin samples and it's a little outdated, it has made it difficult for me to compose in certain styles. A Rickenbacker would probably be a good supplement.

ALSO, there are two alpha recordings of the Orange Tree samples library floating around.
What do you think?:

http://www.orangetreesamples.gregjazz.c ... ionaut.mp3

http://www.gregjazz.com/upload/Rickenjam.mp3


I am quite sure you can make the MM sound like the fusionaut example. Actually, the scarbee bassed can be twaeked very well. I even created a preset which get quite close. Withh additional amp-sim, ot will be perfect.
AKJ
KVRAF
 
1767 posts since 1 Mar, 2004

Postby AKJ; Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:47 pm

synchronizer wrote:


Hmmm... I only see 4 links.


of course, you will also need the files for the sfz version. just download everything...

and as the readme states:
Recommended patch to start with:
Rickenbacker 4001 - Keyswitches.nkm

cheers, akj

edit: and bring the modwheel upo to get the 2 pickups sound (which is fuller)
KVRian
 
842 posts since 27 Sep, 2010

Postby synchronizer; Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:02 pm

AHHHHH

I thought that the Kontakt version had its own separate files and that the SFZ version was just for people who wanted to use the SFZ version. Let me try again.
AKJ
KVRAF
 
1767 posts since 1 Mar, 2004

Postby AKJ; Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:03 pm

one word to round robin:
32 samples cvycling as in the OT product: what a stupidity a waste of disk space!
who is going to repeat the same note 32 times?
MM bass gas index and middle finger cycling. additionally you have those nice randomisatio nfeatures, so even if you go on repeating, it will not sound the same (when tweaked right). there is imo no need for more than 2 round robin groups when combined with additional randomisation (e.g. fpr noised etc.). I even find that what machinegun killer does is enough. just try the free rickenbacker and you will see!
KVRian
 
842 posts since 27 Sep, 2010

Postby synchronizer; Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Maybe I misinterpreted the 32x roundrobin---it might have something do do with different player positions.

As I said, I already have the MM bass. Maybe I'm not using it correctly, because hitting the same note more than 4 times sounds very artificial/machine gun-like.

I think I'm leaning towards the Scarbee Rickenbacker because I'm used to how the slides work.

However, you seem to be trying to steer me away from spending any money. Maybe that's a good thing.
AKJ
KVRAF
 
1767 posts since 1 Mar, 2004

Postby AKJ; Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 pm

synchronizer wrote:Maybe I misinterpreted the 32x roundrobin---it might have something do do with different player positions.

As I said, I already have the MM bass. Maybe I'm not using it correctly, because hitting the same note more than 4 times sounds very artificial/machine gun-like.

I think I'm leaning towards the Scarbee Rickenbacker because I'm used to how the slides work.

However, you seem to be trying to steer me away from spending any money. Maybe that's a good thing.


why would you hit the same note more than 4 times without velocity variation. If you avoid that you will be fine. what is more: the randomization options (look at pickup hits, and release pages) will even add slight variations.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries