What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What if I actually like your patch named "cheesy lead"??? Guess I'm cheesy

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

maruchan
KVRer

25 posts since 1 Dec, 2012

Postby maruchan; Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:21 pm What if I actually like your patch named "cheesy lead"??? Guess I'm cheesy

I'm going through patches, trying out a synth that's new to me, and I see one called "cheesy lead." But it sounds !@%#!@#% great!

Might as well name it "THIS PATCH IS JUST FOR GAGS" or something. Followed by the next patches, named "This one will make your music appeal to 50-year-olds" and "You have no taste". Heaven forbid we should actually think "there's a classic sound with a great timbre" and make use of it somehow.

Anyway, I'm off to complete my first patch bank, entitled "Sounds pretty idiotic really, times were different then".
Last edited by maruchan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bailees7irish
KVRAF

2557 posts since 30 Mar, 2007, from virginia, US

Postby bailees7irish; Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:57 pm

maruchan wrote:Might as well name it "THIS PATCH IS JUST FOR GAGS" or something. Followed by the next patches, named "This one will make your music appeal to 50-year-olds" and "You have no taste". Heaven forbid we should actually think "there's a classic sound with a great timbre" and make use of it somehow.

Anyway, I'm off to complete my first patch bank, entitled "Sounds pretty idiotic really, times were different then".

:?:
FL Studio 11 / Music Creator 6 Touch / Fabfilter One / Aalto / Alchemy / Cumulus / Scanned Synth Pro / Consequence / EVE / Harmless / Ohmboyz / Mobilohm / Hematohm / Predatohm / Eos
awol9000
KVRian

541 posts since 3 Sep, 2009, from Vancouver

Postby awol9000; Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 pm

Zeta?
ouroboros
KVRAF

7870 posts since 16 Apr, 2003, from -on the outside looking in

Postby ouroboros; Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:29 pm

:lol: so.much.win.
Teksonik
KVRAF

8743 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm

Yep....everybody should name their patches Lead 001,Lead 002,Lead 003 and Bass 001, Bass 002 and so on....much better.......(sarcasm)....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
maruchan
KVRer

25 posts since 1 Dec, 2012

Postby maruchan; Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Actually A.N.A. does it pretty well...they just come out and say "Hoover", "TB-303", etc. and only a few patches called "10 Years Ago" :)
androidlove
KVRAF

6607 posts since 20 Jun, 2004, from Secret Underground Hideout

Postby androidlove; Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:07 pm

I love cheesy sounds. However, my family gets tired of space age bachelor pad lounge. I spared them this Christmas.
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest
Teksonik
KVRAF

8743 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:28 pm

maruchan wrote:Actually A.N.A. does it pretty well...they just come out and say "Hoover", "TB-303", etc. and only a few patches called "10 Years Ago" :)

That's fine when you've only got a couple dozen patches but when it gets up to 10,000 like Synth 1 you start to run out of descriptive names.....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
No_Use
KVRAF

1727 posts since 13 Mar, 2004

Postby No_Use; Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:36 pm

I do like it though when sound designers do it similar to this in their banks "LD blblabla" "BS yaddayadda" "PAD hoitytoity", "FX whatnot", you get the idea, so you see at a glance which sound is in which category.
BertKoor
KVRAF

8311 posts since 8 Mar, 2005, from Utrecht, Holland

Postby BertKoor; Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:59 am

Hmmm... Me likes cheese....

We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!
jsp1979
KVRAF

1777 posts since 7 Aug, 2008

Postby jsp1979; Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:52 am

For goodness sakes, don't download u-he's Triple Cheese...you won't like that one at all! So many cheesy names...

:D
AdmiralQuality
KVRAF

6455 posts since 10 Oct, 2005, from Toronto, Canada

Postby AdmiralQuality; Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:16 am

"Cheesy" is actually a descriptive musical term that a lot of experienced musicians will instantly recognize. It's hard to characterize, but it usually means a bit thin, vibrato-ey, possibly old fashioned or a bit out-moded.

Vox and Farfisa electronic combo organs are famous for their "cheesy" sound. But that doesn't mean they can't do THIS...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xr22b_ ... t-up_music

You will also run across a lot of fake organ patches called some variation of Hammond Cheese. (Get it?) I think the DX-7 came with one built in.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments