Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Nektar Technology

The hardware forum is sponsored by Nektar Technology: Great MIDI-controllers with deep integration for most major DAWs down to Plugin level. Experience the difference and take control!

Read more at www.nektartech.com
breakmixer
KVRAF
 
4208 posts since 14 Nov, 2008, from UK

Postby breakmixer; Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:35 am Roland 808 Hardware Clones?(Resolved)

I cannot afford, nor want a real TR-808(maintenance etc) but I want a hardware equivalent soundwise. Cheaper is better but not the most important factor...

Narrowed down the options to

Novation Drum Station, Drum Station V2 or D Station.(Secondhand market)

AcidLab Miami

Tempest??!! - I've heard an awesome 808 sound coming from this - but is that 808 kit tweakable like the real deal or static presets, I've only just learnt Tempest is a hybrid, Analog Drum Synth and Sample player.

Quasimidi 309 - one for sale in Marketplace on KVR, good option?

Arturia Spark/Le Hardware - now dismissing this now as the 808 isn't that close on this unit/software. Great product otherwise...

Anything else I've missed?

Please no software only equivalents(D16 etc, got them)! :wink: Also if the machine does full 808 and goes above and beyond that(i.e. 909/Linn Drum or actual synthesize from scratch etc), then that is a real bonus!
Last edited by breakmixer on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Moe Shinola
KVRian
 
1441 posts since 11 Nov, 2004, from Kansas City, MO

Postby Moe Shinola; Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:46 am

"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}
breakmixer
KVRAF
 
4208 posts since 14 Nov, 2008, from UK

Postby breakmixer; Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 am

Moe Shinola wrote:http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/04/20/x0xb0x-is-back-and-shipping-again-say-hello-to-willzyx-music/


that looks more like a 303 clone? :?
ericj23
KVRAF
 
2389 posts since 25 Aug, 2002, from here

Postby ericj23; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:12 pm

breakmixer wrote:
Moe Shinola wrote:http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/04/20/x0xb0x-is-back-and-shipping-again-say-hello-to-willzyx-music/


that looks more like a 303 clone? :?


I got all excited thinking that the 808 was being done xoxbox sylee - that would be getting bought!
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.
User avatar
nix808
KVRAF
 
3245 posts since 22 Jul, 2006, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby nix808; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:28 pm

http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm

Here is the interface.
I know you said no soft,
but I thought I'd mention this-
I'd love one
___^O** *where is my less or greater than comparator___^O** *
http://www.phonicsaudio.com --- https://soundcloud.com/nix808/tracks
Image
User avatar
Moe Shinola
KVRian
 
1441 posts since 11 Nov, 2004, from Kansas City, MO

Postby Moe Shinola; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:30 pm

D'oh!
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}
User avatar
tehlord
KVRAF
 
7307 posts since 22 Sep, 2008, from Windsor. UK

Postby tehlord; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Goseba
KVRAF
 
2288 posts since 13 Jun, 2004, from Back in the UK

Postby Goseba; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Quasimidi 309....shameless post for one I have for sale in the market place.

Includes 808 sounds amongst others.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba
breakmixer
KVRAF
 
4208 posts since 14 Nov, 2008, from UK

Postby breakmixer; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 pm

nix808 wrote:http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm

Here is the interface.
I know you said no soft,
but I thought I'd mention this-
I'd love one


That's fine, but not what I'm after myself after checking it out, I do all sequencing within my daw!

I was hoping it was a dedicated controller for Nepheton actually! That would be interesting!
User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
 
19649 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:40 pm

breakmixer
KVRAF
 
4208 posts since 14 Nov, 2008, from UK

Postby breakmixer; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Goseba wrote:Quasimidi 309....shameless post for one I have for sale in the market place.

Includes 808 sounds amongst others.


I know an artist who uses one for Electro Funk music, it sounds 808ish but modern on his tunes, I'd wrote this off as I thought it couldn't nail 808, just get in a similar ball park,

Can it nail 808, including Rim, Clap and COWBELL!? :wink:

So I was showing interest in this a little...
Goseba
KVRAF
 
2288 posts since 13 Jun, 2004, from Back in the UK

Postby Goseba; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:46 pm

breakmixer wrote:
Goseba wrote:Quasimidi 309....shameless post for one I have for sale in the market place.

Includes 808 sounds amongst others.


I know an artist who uses one for Electro Funk music, it sounds 808ish but modern on his tunes, I'd wrote this off as I thought it couldn't nail 808, just get in a similar ball park,

Can it nail 808, including Rim, Clap and COWBELL!? :wink:

So I was showing interest in this a little...


Those 808 samples are included.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba
breakmixer
KVRAF
 
4208 posts since 14 Nov, 2008, from UK

Postby breakmixer; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:48 pm

tehlord wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cniIkckWtyc


this video is what made me put it on the list - It's a nice drum machine - doesn't perfectly nail the sound but good enough really as a great alternative.
breakmixer
KVRAF
 
4208 posts since 14 Nov, 2008, from UK

Postby breakmixer; Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:50 pm

Goseba wrote:
breakmixer wrote:
Goseba wrote:Quasimidi 309....shameless post for one I have for sale in the market place.

Includes 808 sounds amongst others.


I know an artist who uses one for Electro Funk music, it sounds 808ish but modern on his tunes, I'd wrote this off as I thought it couldn't nail 808, just get in a similar ball park,

Can it nail 808, including Rim, Clap and COWBELL!? :wink:

So I was showing interest in this a little...


Those 808 samples are included.


Oh, so it has an 808 mode where samples are used also for them sounds?

How close are kick and snare?
User avatar
Uncle E
KVRAF
 
8752 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 pm

breakmixer wrote:Novation Drum Station, Drum Station V2 or D Station.(Secondhand market)

AcidLab Miami

Tempest??!! - I've heard an awesome 808 sound coming from this - but is that 808 kit tweakable like the real deal or static presets, I've only just learnt Tempest is a hybrid, Analog Drum Synth and Sample player.

Arturia Spark Hardware

Of this list, I'd say the Tempest or Spark. I'd go Spark, myself.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Image
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)