What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

how can I get the same swing amount on a different subdivision?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

crazyfiltertweaker
KVRian

687 posts since 24 Mar, 2012

Postby crazyfiltertweaker; Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:40 am how can I get the same swing amount on a different subdivision?

I realized that as example 58% swing on 1/8 is not on the same grid as 58% swing on 1/16 grid. why?????
BertKoor
KVRAF

8314 posts since 8 Mar, 2005, from Utrecht, Holland

Postby BertKoor; Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:26 am

1/16th is half the length of 1/8. So the Swing should change accordingly.
58% on 1/8 would be simular as 64% on 1/16th :shrug:
Not sure it really works like that... Maybe you want swing only on the alternating notes, thus set on the 1/8ths
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!
Nystul
KVRist

422 posts since 30 Apr, 2007

Postby Nystul; Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 pm

In a typical groove with swung sixteenth notes, the eighth notes are straight (equal length). It's the sixteenth notes that fall in between the eighth notes that are held back a little bit. So regardless of numbers, this is a different grid than any kind of eighth note swing.

In an eighth note swing, the eighth notes would be your pulse and there probably wouldn't be many (or any) sixteenth notes. When there are sixteenth note flourishes in this kind of groove, they don't necessarily line up with the "grid", which means software quantize might get it wrong.
jancivil
KVRAF

9625 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:31 am

IE: if the denominator of the time, as nystul says 'the pulse' is 8th notes they would be straight, of course. and the quantize swing value is going to apply to 16ths. just as in eg., 4/4 time it makes no sense to have swung quarters.

if the denominator is quarter notes I don't know why you would have differing swing grids of 8ths v. 16ths. there is such a thing as swung 16ths where the pulse is quarter, in addition to swinging at the 8th note level, etc. I have never relied on a machine to do it; I don't know why, mechanically speaking a program would automatically be inconsistent if this is the case.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Theory