What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Overwhelmed with options..

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
V0RT3X
KVRAF
 
4046 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:03 pm Overwhelmed with options..

Ok so I bought Maschine Mk1, I also want to buy Push.

Ableton Live is my main DAW, i do everything in it. I know it pretty damn well now and Push is listed in my music store. So now Im thinking maybe I should sell maschine and use the money towards Push.

Soundwise I am covered, as I also have Komplete 7 & 8 now too. One nice thing about maschine is that it has complete integration with komplete. I am not really a preset guy though, i usually like making my own stuff from scratch so this is not really a big deal.

I also own all the Fxpansion stuff, and I really really like how geist works in Ableton. Seems like I have way too many options now and Im wondering if i should simplify things by selling maschine and buy push.

Anyone else feel like this sometimes?
Wormhelmet
KVRian
 
1055 posts since 20 Dec, 2004

Postby Wormhelmet; Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:11 pm

So, what controller would you use with Geist if you sold Maschine?
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet
User avatar
V0RT3X
KVRAF
 
4046 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Wormhelmet wrote:So, what controller would you use with Geist if you sold Maschine?


Well I was thinking of getting push. It would be nice to assign 4 engines to each of the 16 pad sets on push.

But yah I really did buy Maschine so i can use it to control Geist! Geist has the best sounding built in FX.

I need to wrap my head around all the possibilities. I also like the idea of just having ONE controller that lets me control my software.

If i had to choose ableton or maschine, i would pick ableton hands down. It is my main DAW, i can do all sorts of stuff with it.

But the controller aspect of maschine is kind of cool..

*Edit*

I think I'll keep maschine and get push later too.

Seems they can compliment each other well.
emef
KVRist
 
258 posts since 4 Jun, 2001

Postby emef; Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:40 pm

i had a listen to your bandcamp tracks
you should worry less about what controller you're gonna use
User avatar
UltimateOutsider
KVRist
 
322 posts since 4 Oct, 2009, from Portland, OR

Postby UltimateOutsider; Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:36 pm

V0RT3X wrote:Seems like I have way too many options now and Im wondering if i should simplify things by selling maschine and buy push.

Anyone else feel like this sometimes?

A former bandmate of mine and I are both dealing with this issue right now.

We were writing and recording before VST tech even existed, and with today's prosumer gear and software, we've independently been swimming in plugins and modern tech (and often spending so much time learning and fussing with it that actual songwriting takes a back seat).

He just recently decided to drop DAWs altogether and bought an 8-track.

I just recently decided to stop messing with VSTis (except for Battery 3) and commit to mastering the hardware synths I own- and to also stop buying effects plugins; I've got all the basics covered.

I also removed Maschine from my rig. As cool as I think it is, it just doesn't fit my workflow. (Although it's a handy sampler, which I need occasionally for building drum kits. Will only keep it if I don't find an adequate substitute.)

There is a huge number of options for nearly every aspect of music making now, but at least for me and my bud, there just isn't enough time in our schedules to master all the new stuff AND get songs recorded.

Every individual has their own thresholds and needs. Gotta find that balance between what's technically possible and what you can practically use in your work, given your talent, experience, goals, and available time.

Also, @emef, that was pretty uncool.
vata44
KVRian
 
1478 posts since 29 Jul, 2007

Postby vata44; Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:53 pm

too much can become an obstacle... rather than learning a couple super well.
User avatar
musikmachine
KVRAF
 
8379 posts since 2 Oct, 2006, from ,Location, Location

Postby musikmachine; Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Maschine is a great controller for Geist, i've started use Geist in Maschine for percussion and rex loops, the Geist template for maschine works really well.

I've thought about selling mine in the past but it keeps getting better with each update so i'm glad i held on! Fwiw maschinetutorials is a great resource for gtting the most out of it but if it's not right for you then...

One of the reason's i like it is because it's simple, i start most tracks in maschine standalone then fire them up in my daw when they are developed, it's a good workflow. :)
@midnight
KVRAF
 
1584 posts since 22 Apr, 2011, from The House of Zaid

Postby @midnight; Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:12 pm

V0RT3X wrote:Ok so I bought Maschine Mk1, I also want to buy Push.

Ableton Live is my main DAW, i do everything in it. I know it pretty damn well now and Push is listed in my music store. So now Im thinking maybe I should sell maschine and use the money towards Push.

Soundwise I am covered, as I also have Komplete 7 & 8 now too. One nice thing about maschine is that it has complete integration with komplete. I am not really a preset guy though, i usually like making my own stuff from scratch so this is not really a big deal.

I also own all the Fxpansion stuff, and I really really like how geist works in Ableton. Seems like I have way too many options now and Im wondering if i should simplify things by selling maschine and buy push.

Anyone else feel like this sometimes?


How about this - keep making music, and only buy something when you have an actual problem you need to solve, or a specific sound you need that you really can't generate with your current equipment.

else, you are just "collecting" which is a sick part of human nature. we all do it. its such a problem nowadays too with the internet and software and freeware and everything. there's always somebody dangling some candy in our faces.

at a certain point I think Im just gonna need to shut my internet off, to ever REALLY get deep into working on projects again. Right now it's about 25% working on actual music, 75% testing plugins and talking about plugins. It's a disease.

Cheers,
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Wormhelmet
KVRian
 
1055 posts since 20 Dec, 2004

Postby Wormhelmet; Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:50 pm

@midnight wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:Ok so I bought Maschine Mk1, I also want to buy Push.

Ableton Live is my main DAW, i do everything in it. I know it pretty damn well now and Push is listed in my music store. So now Im thinking maybe I should sell maschine and use the money towards Push.

Soundwise I am covered, as I also have Komplete 7 & 8 now too. One nice thing about maschine is that it has complete integration with komplete. I am not really a preset guy though, i usually like making my own stuff from scratch so this is not really a big deal.

I also own all the Fxpansion stuff, and I really really like how geist works in Ableton. Seems like I have way too many options now and Im wondering if i should simplify things by selling maschine and buy push.

Anyone else feel like this sometimes?


How about this - keep making music, and only buy something when you have an actual problem you need to solve, or a specific sound you need that you really can't generate with your current equipment.

else, you are just "collecting" which is a sick part of human nature. we all do it. its such a problem nowadays too with the internet and software and freeware and everything. there's always somebody dangling some candy in our faces.

at a certain point I think Im just gonna need to shut my internet off, to ever REALLY get deep into working on projects again. Right now it's about 25% working on actual music, 75% testing plugins and talking about plugins. It's a disease.

Cheers,


You said that right! I've been collecting lately too.

I use padKontrol with Geist and have Launchpad for Ableton Live, then of course I just had to get that deal on the Venom synth, then needed to get that super deal on the minibrute, then had to get a nanoKontrol because I gave my Radium 49 to my son to make way for the Venom, but Venom doesn't have freely midi assignable knobs, so nanoKontrol had to be used, then I loved the hands on so much with minibrute I bought the MS20 iC controller, then I have to look at all the deals on a modular......ahhhhhggg

Haven't even made new tunes with all that yet. Last song was done on ipad with padKontrol and Beatmaker 2, but I have had myself buried in making presets for my new stuff!

So it's still fun, but I should really stop. Maybe after the next purchase....

:hihi:
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet
User avatar
V0RT3X
KVRAF
 
4046 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:02 pm

emef wrote:i had a listen to your bandcamp tracks
you should worry less about what controller you're gonna use


:roll:
Last edited by V0RT3X on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
V0RT3X
KVRAF
 
4046 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Btw apart from the other comment, there are some good replies in here.

I'll definitely be taking it into consideration.

I think after this Im going to just focus on music lessons and stuff.
Wormhelmet
KVRian
 
1055 posts since 20 Dec, 2004

Postby Wormhelmet; Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 pm

I don't know how hard it would be to map up Geist with Push. I DO know that mapping my padKontrol was kind of a bear to tackle as I had just bought Geist and there were n o maps available and their forum moves kinda slow, but I dug in and a couple days later had complete maps for Ableton and Standalone, but I wouldn't know the first place to start with Push. I already had my padKontrol a few years before I bought Geist. I do know everyone loves the Maschine maps for it though.

Good luck, but I say keep Maschine anyway. I heard the new update 1.8 works good still with Maschine 1.

Almost got Maschine myself, but went with Geist instead because it was a Christmas sale. Bought it for $99 then bought all expansions so I could deconstruct and learn how to use it. A lot of times I just play the expansion kits though. Nice material there.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet
Wormhelmet
KVRian
 
1055 posts since 20 Dec, 2004

Postby Wormhelmet; Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:45 pm

By the way, I had a listen to the new album too. Title and description is fitting. I've never been able to do evolving soundscapes that well, so respect. Nice work. I liked whatever thick sound you got going on Psychosis a lot and the rhythmic textures on "The Sun Came Down" to name some that struck me really well.

Had to listen after that comment...

8)
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet
pdxindy
KVRAF
 
8660 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:55 pm

I don't have much interest in hardware controllers. I have my Korg Z1 as a midi controller and am happy with that.

However, Push sure looks interesting! The video where Dennis had the laptop closed and created a bunch of tracks, played parts including melody, did some sound tweaking and automation and so on all without looking at the laptop once... that was enticing.

For controlling Live, Push sure looks impressive. I think I will get it when it comes out!

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments