Sampler App for Windows RT

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sampler App for Windows RT

Not sure how many people on KVR are using Windows 8 yet, but I'd still thought I'd mention my new Drum Pad / Keyboard app called "Sampler". It is a simple sample playback app for windows 8 that is designed for use with touch screens.

Currently it has the following features:
- Sample playback mode of either 12 drum pads or a 2 octave (25 key) keyboard
- Pitch and volume modulation
- 30 Included samples (18 are sampled from drum machines and 12 are synth samples)
- Global Low Pass/High Pass/Notch filters
- Global Echo and Reverb Effects
- Wav file import. Currently just 16/24-bit and 44100 or 48000 sample rate (plan on fixing this soon)
- Drum pad snapped view so you can play the drum pads while another audio app is running

Here are a few screen shots of the app:

Please feel free to give feedback and also please let me know if you experience any bugs while using the app. Next update should include a dual playback mode so you can view both the keyboard and drumpads simultaneously.

Link to the app is here:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/s ... 9703479a53

Thanks for checking out the app.

- Korhaan

Looks nice. Anyone download it yet? I made a card game that was on the market there since Jan 16, 0 zero downloads yet. Seems like a really small market so far.

nikolatesla20 wrote:Looks nice. Anyone download it yet? I made a card game that was on the market there since Jan 16, 0 zero downloads yet. Seems like a really small market so far.
Thanks. Yes it has been downloaded but not too much so far. (~10 downloads per day). Windows 8 market size still seems like it is smaller than the other platforms, but I am hoping it picks up soon. What is the name of your card game?

Korhaan wrote:Sampler App for Windows RT

Not sure how many people on KVR are using Windows 8 yet, but I'd still thought I'd mention my new Drum Pad / Keyboard app called "Sampler". It is a simple sample playback app for windows 8 that is designed for use with touch screens.
Does this work only on Windows RT, or also Windows 8?

golemus wrote:Does this work only on Windows RT, or also Windows 8?
Yes, the app will run on both a WinRT Arm device as well as any full Windows 8 install.

stick to this thread would be nice

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=373508

hat5
Last edited by hat5 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikolatesla20 wrote:Looks nice. Anyone download it yet? I made a card game that was on the market there since Jan 16, 0 zero downloads yet. Seems like a really small market so far.
that windows store system is terrible where is the search function ? -
i can not find it
and this sampler app is impossible to download from my location !!!

is there some other place to get this app ?

hat5

:x

hat5 wrote:that windows store system is terrible where is the search function ?
i can not find it and this sampler app is impossible to download from my location !!!
Currently it is only available via the windows 8 store. The first link should redirect depending on what your location is. For me it redirects to: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US ... 9703479a53. What is your location? I can give the link to the specific marketplace if it is not working.

There is no search for the web version of the store right now, which is probably intentional. If I remember correctly, Windows Phone started out without a searchable web site as well. I expect that web search will get added eventually.

Alternatively to access the app via windows 8 you can launch the search prompt using "Windows Key + F". Next select "Store" from search context options on the right. Type in Sampler in the search box, and it should show up.

Alternatively to access the app via windows 8 you can launch the search prompt using "Windows Key + F". Next select "Store" from search context options on the right. Type in Sampler in the search box, and it should show up.

thanks that worked

hat5

cool, it's great to see some music apps happening. Nice work :)
And great use of the snapped view, too.
-g
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Hey, thanks to anyone who tried the app out already! There's a new version available with some additional features added.

Now there are three different modulation modes, Touch, Latch, and Buttons. "Touch" is the standard modulation mode with pitch and volume adjustments on the X and Y coordinates. Modulation will only happen while you are dragging across the modulation area. When released, modulation will stop. "Latch" is different in it that will leave the modulation at the last point touched and will not automatically center. Finally "Buttons" modulation mode has six different modulation command buttons. What's good about this is that you don't have to tap an exact location to get a certain modulation value.

Another thing added is "Dual Mode". Dual mode lets you use both the pads and the keys at the same time. You can turn on dual mode by tapping the "keyboard + pads" icon in the middle menu area.

Looks interesting, kudos.

Can you say something about the latency with win8 metro apps? There were a lot of rumours about that no real low latency (~10 ms) is possible, but that was before an actual app was created.

Korhaan,

This is really cool! Thank you for such a fun application! Great updates with modulation buttons.

Possible feature upgrades?:

1. Considering midi output for triggering VSTi's within a DAW would expand the functionality too.

2. Maybe another option in modulation could be substituting re-trigger as one of the modulation options, such as maybe including 8th, 16th, 32nd, 64th re-trigger modes.

3. I was wondering if you would include recording real-time output to a .wav file for integration with one's DAW?

4. If you expanded the pads from 6 to 7 or 8 pads in a row you could use it for scales-based music too, such as the harmonic scales.

5. Saving of template files to share with friends?

Sorry for asking for so many possible features. Overall, lots of fun and very use tool for music-making as is!

Thanks,

Marlow

midi_transmission wrote:Looks interesting, kudos.

Can you say something about the latency with win8 metro apps? There were a lot of rumours about that no real low latency (~10 ms) is possible, but that was before an actual app was created.
For windows Metro Apps there are two audio engines that can be used XAudio2 and WASAPI. I actually use the one that is slower (XAudio2). Supposedly you can get faster response times with WASAPI exclusive mode where an app is exclusively playing sound to an audio device. However, I haven't used WASAPI, so cant vouch for how much faster it is than XAudio2.

Response time feels useable, but it is not as fast as iOS. Faster than Android though. Also, latency appears to be device dependent. I get lower latency on my Samsung Series 7 slate which is a mobile i5 processor than my Surface on ARM.

marlow wrote:Korhaan,

This is really cool! Thank you for such a fun application! Great updates with modulation buttons.

Possible feature upgrades?:

1. Considering midi output for triggering VSTi's within a DAW would expand the functionality too.

2. Maybe another option in modulation could be substituting re-trigger as one of the modulation options, such as maybe including 8th, 16th, 32nd, 64th re-trigger modes.

3. I was wondering if you would include recording real-time output to a .wav file for integration with one's DAW?

4. If you expanded the pads from 6 to 7 or 8 pads in a row you could use it for scales-based music too, such as the harmonic scales.

5. Saving of template files to share with friends?

Sorry for asking for so many possible features. Overall, lots of fun and very use tool for music-making as is!

Thanks,

Marlow
Hi Marlow,

Thanks for trying out the app! And thanks for the suggestions, always good to get a lot of feedback. For your suggestions:

1) This is one I want to add but it wouldn't be optimal because there's currently no MIDI library available on WinRT. It is possible to send midi messages using UDP with a second computer receiving the messages and translating them into midi. But that would require a separate program running on the receiving computer. There is a petition to get midi added on uservoice, so please upvote if it is something you'd like to see in WinRT apps.
http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forum ... -musicians

2) Do you mean that every 8th, 16th, 32nd tap is automatically modulated and the rest are normal? Also, is there an app that does this that I can check out as an example?

3) Recording and wav export is something planned to be added.

4) Adjustable pad count is also something that could be added as an optional setting.

5) Saving different setups and exporting is something I want to add too. This would be probably be very basic to start. So you could export, and it would include the entire configuration of the app. And then when importing it would apply all settings as well as load all custom wav files into the import banks.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”