How to synthesize a spaceship engine sound

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How would you go about making this? I'm sure that there is some vst or something that can get close. Or, would you just pitch-shift/modulate a real engine sound? Any sound from Jetsons to Starwars.. Thanks.

Spectral synthesis is the quickest (for me.) Try iris.
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

Do you want to create a a doppler-style "fly-by" or the deep pulsing sound of a giant engineering deck *inside* a spaceship?

Use either my Classic Analog Silence or Modern Digital Silence sample sets. Each includes several samples that exactly replicate the sound of a spaceship passing by in complete vacuum. For best results, process the track using my legendary (mythical, even) Transparency Preserver plug-in, 100% pure tonal preservation guaranteed.

maxmace wrote:Do you want to create a a doppler-style "fly-by" or the deep pulsing sound of a giant engineering deck *inside* a spaceship?

Both, but the actual engine sound is what I'm after. Thanks for all the replies! Wow!

Meffy wrote:Each includes several samples that exactly replicate the sound of a spaceship passing by in complete vacuum.
I record all my sounds in a complete vacuum, it's the only way to get an decent sound-to-noise ratio.

NAD wrote:
Meffy wrote:Each includes several samples that exactly replicate the sound of a spaceship passing by in complete vacuum.
I record all my sounds in a complete vacuum, it's the only way to get an decent sound-to-noise ratio.
ahaha

arkmabat wrote:How would you go about making this? I'm sure that there is some vst or something that can get close. Or, would you just pitch-shift/modulate a real engine sound? Any sound from Jetsons to Starwars.. Thanks.
It depends on what this sound is going into. A game engine like Unity will handle the pitch shifting itself, so you'd want to leave that alone. What I do when I'm making engine sounds is to start by making the idling noise. How would this engine sound if you were standing right next to it and it wasn't moving the vehicle at all? This is the lowest the sound will go, and I like to put a LPF on this. To give a sense that this engine is really big and powerful, focus on really low, almost boomy sounds. Filtered pink noise is a great way to make a Star Trek/Mass Effect style ambient engine noise. Inside the ship gets more filtering, outside the ship gets less. When I want to engage the engine, I'll add a couple of new sounds that rise in pitch, but not too much. I like filters with high resonance for this, but play around with oscillators and even some samples (I use Alchemy for sound design a lot). The benefit to starting with the idling sound is that by modulating a few parameters, you can "drive" the engine. If you need to pitch shift the sound for a doppler effect, I'd render to a sample and then play around with a sampler.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Downoad Astrovoyage for NI Reaktor and you are pretty much done with it..

https://co.native-instruments.com/index ... chid=12575

For the deep rumble of a humungous mothership:

1) record traffic noise. Just go stand next to a busy highway with your recorder.

2) Pitch down the wav two octaves.

It's spot on!
Eion Flow: Lush, cinematic electronica from the urban galaxy that is Tokyo, Japan. More on eionflow.com | Facebook | Soundcloud

tranel wrote:For the deep rumble of a humungous mothership:

1) record traffic noise. Just go stand next to a busy highway with your recorder.

2) Pitch down the wav two octaves.

It's spot on!

Ben Burtt pitched a propeller-driven aircraft downwards, and mixed it with the sound of a 747 and some tuned noise etc for the Star Wars blockade runner in the first scene. The immense sound of the Star Destroyer that followed it was recorded from an air conditioning unit (recorded in the motel room he was using while visiting a firing range to get the rocket and missile sounds he thought he'd use for it), and sounds of the Goodyear Blimp.
If your recordng your own sounds, look for engines and mechanical sounds and air/gas jets (oven burners, blowtorches, compressed air cannisters).

For a synthesised sound, when its a 'rocket motor' type sound, I'd start with a rumbly lp/bp-filtered pink noise, combined with slight slow flanging/comb-filtering and feedback to accentuate drifting resonances; basically a sound which is a roar of hot gases (tuned noise) forced through a large metal pipe (comb filter).
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks a ton guys

I ended up making something semi-usable and worth noting. It's in the preset downloads for OBXD synth under "arkmabat -engine/podracer/spaceship". It was used for the sound of a little motor in a demonstration movie. Can be heard here:
http://youtu.be/4-DnKsFb0g0

I plan to try some of the other ideas next! :)

To record the sound of a spaceship engine, I recommend a close-mic'd SM-57, and then a stereo pair of U87's for ambience.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Sound Design”