See That My Grave Is Kept Clean - blues by Gmac and Studio D

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings,

A version of Blind Lemon Jefferson's One Kind Favor (See That My Grave Is Kept Clean) :

http://linux-sound.org/audio/SeeThatMyGrave.mp3

And on SoundClod :

https://soundcloud.com/glen-macarthur/g ... ee-that-my

Glen did everything except the bass part (played by Peter Cox) and the vocal. The B3 and drums were done with software, G played the guitar and harmonica parts.

As always, comments welcome.

Best,

dp

I really liked the overall sound of this mix. It was really nice and crisp. For some reason I really noticed and liked the percussion and bass, but everything sounded very good on here. Great vocal too.

Good work :)

Very enjoyable. Thank you.

One thing: the ping pong delay (or tremelo) starts out sounding cool but then for my ears/taste, it becomes tough to listen to. Maybe that's just me.

A very classy take on this tune. Great performances all around.

For me this is just a faultless production all round. The whole thing just grabs you immediately... and won't let go! :hail:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Greetings,

Thanks for the replies, we really appreciate it. I'll pass on the kudos to Glen, he did all the heavy lifting. All I did was add the main vocal and make suggestions towards the final arrangement. Glen's friend Peter Cox played bass, G did all the rest, including the backing vocal. I'm not entirely happy with my vocal on this one, it's a little low for me but I'm happy enough to want to do more with Glen & Friends.

@seismic - I agree re: the bass and drums, they're 'way better than anything I'd have come up with.

@fredde- It's the tremolo, I'll bet. Yeh, it'll get to you if it sticks in your ear. I don't notice it so much anymore. I've probably been listening to it too long to have any perspective.

@folderol - Thanks, Will, I always welcome your ears and comments. :)

Best,

dp

:shock:
Great stuff.
I got to agree, as a headphone listener, about the comment on that tremolo effect but otherwise this is a fabulous production.
Unlike most takes on blues songs the balance between the instruments is perfect. Neither guitar, organ nor harp take centre stage. They just work together.
Particular cudos to the singer. 8)

:wink:
James
---------------------------------------------
New Updated music site at - http://www.fraserology.com/music/

Excellent all around. I thought the backup vocals and guitars were especially good.

The only detail I didn't like was the tambourine which I thought was too loud and rhythmically off.

Great job! Nice keys, nice guitar. I like the bass/drums. Good production. I'm ol-skool and grew up with old tremelo/reverb tube amps. It all good for me, yahsir, misser. I likes dis here blue tune. Praise the Lord an' pass me some o' those ol' country biskit. I'm diggin' the vocal track too. :)
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Frantz wrote:Excellent all around. I thought the backup vocals and guitars were especially good.

The only detail I didn't like was the tambourine which I thought was too loud and rhythmically off.
I partially agree. I love the tamby, but perhaps it would sit in the mix a "lotter betterer" attenuated by -4 dB. What do you think?
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Greetings,

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. Sorry, I can't do a thing with the tambourine, it's embedded in the very fabric of the piece. :)

Frankly I'm surprised no-one said anything about the cowbell.

Seriously, thank you all for listening and responding. KVR may not be anyone's idea of Blues Central, but I've got a lot of good response from the listeners here. Always lots of good ears at KVR.

@Brother Charles - Indeed, praise the Lord and pass the chitlins. :)

Best,

dp

Return to “Music Cafe”