Morf - a program morphing plugin wrapper

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The idea is to open a plugin and be able to morph between plugins stated (programs) without re-loading the program in the plugin (this causes clicks and freezes on some plugins). You can save 14 states. Two of those states can be faded to using a simple slider (good for testing purposes). The morph process can be triggered via MIDI notes. The morph time can be set in seconds (independent of the host processing) and in 16thnotes. This is a VST version only i'm sure other formats are possible.

To load a plugin just rename your Morf.dll or Morf.vst(mac) to MoRf_[PLUGIN_NAME].dll, where [PLUGIN_NAME] should be the name of the plugin that should be hosted. For example for Synth.dll on windows the file name would be MoRf_Synth1.dll
There is an option that causes Morf to be a effect plugin instead of MoRf_ use MoRf_FX_[PLUGIN_NAME] (but this has little effect on some hosts i'm afraid).

The manual is simple:
- right click on the numbered slot to save the state of the plugin and the time and MIDI note for that slot (you can exclude what gets saved with the right click by clicking on the logo)\
- left click on the numbered slot to re-call the state.
- to manually initiate a timed morph process left click on the led below the slot button.
- The "MUTE" button causes all morhping triggered from MIDI notes to stop.

Full source code and binaries for windows and mac at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/morf-wrapper/

This is highly experimental and something that i did for a friend it's untested and may cause your computer to blow up. Don't blame me for that.

So this runs automation on the parameters? (Or does it crossfade between two instances of the plug-in?)

If automation, how does it "morph" a parameter that may not be continuous like a switch or option menu?

Also, how does it deal with synth patches that have different polyphony settings? (Number of voices, mono/unison vs. polyphonic, note priority, legato trigger, etc...)

Yes parameters.

The thing with parameters that are switches is weird. One plugin switches at 0.5 the other at 0.0-1.0. So that depends on the plugin, it would be simple to change that if you like.

The morph process is a transition between current value and the value stored in the slot for each parameter.

It won't work with plugins that do not export all parameters to the host (NI Massive does not export it's modulation matrix), so that won't work.

Polyphony and other stuff is handled the same way as other parameters, if the parameter is exported to the host it can be morphed, otherwise not.

Right but it's not much of a "morph" if a parameter isn't continuous, right?

And yes, it's entirely up to the plug-in at what value it decides to open and close a switch parameter. I usually make mine 0.5, so if someone's using a slider the halfway point is the switch point.

I considered adding a "morph" to Poly-Ana but decided against it for these reasons. Same with modulation source selection, the order of the sources on the menu/dial is entirely arbitrary and stepping through them would just sound clunky.

I suppose it could be useful if you intentionally design two programs to morph together, and avoid changing any stepped or quantized parameters between them.

Good luck with it!

I called it morph because i thought of it as a "transition" process, you are correct it's not a perfect solution, but within the VST specification there is nothing better that can be done, unless done within the plugin itself.

But from what i tried with Synth1 and Oddity it can produce quite cool effects and might be useful. But that's what it is really a utility plugin, and for me a proof of concept.

I love the plugin!
Even if it can't transform switches into knobs in a magical way it allows dramatic sound changes without lines of complex automation!
And it's really easy and fast to program a few snapshots for slow transitions.
:love:

Excellent plugin!
There is a annoying bug in FL though
Wen morf is wider than the plugin itself it gets cropped (the right part desapear) and so you can't.... morph :x

It's a quick fix of minimut width it should be fixed now.

Fantastic plugin 8)

atomix1040 wrote:It's a quick fix of minimut width it should be fixed now.
It's fixed! Thanks!

This is a very interesting idea. No, it isn't perfect, but it can still be a useful creative tool. Thank you for sharing!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Oh wow, missed this until now.
Apart from (discontinued) Kore there isn't much available which can do preset morphing of plugins afaik.

I even started a thread in search for exactly this sometime ago.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=304205

So thanks a lot.

As this gains so few interest, I have to bump again, sorry. :D

Love this thing, instant crazy modulations. :love:

Here's a quick tryout (mangled the lead with it).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/120 ... f_test.mp3

Thanks for this great tool.

this should be way more known
the concept is so great

when using it with FX like TAL Filter it's not wet but only very partly...
most sound passes unprocessed ...

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”