"grove" instrumental

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pohutukawa Grove by fate atc, on Flickr

"grove" instrumental performance improvised style on 18 tracks

13.7 MB 7 min 38 sec at 256 kbps

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9504745/grove.mp3

or top of the list at http://www.reverbnation.com/fateatc/songs

any comments or feedback appreciated

Sounding good fate, and glad to hear you experimenting with beats again. :tu:
Image Image

I think this works well. The percussion is quite laid back and has interesting variations. The track has a nice "jamming" vibe. Very pleasant and relaxing indeed. Synths and keyboards are gorgeous as usual.

Good work :)

Very nice. I like the rhythms and the beautiful synths which ebb and flow. :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Really deep, one might even say fat sounds. Had a really dreamy vibe to it. Also had a live feel. Nice.

The keyboards sound great as usual. The keyboard playing is in your usual style which I enjoy.

I am going to offer a dissenting opinion on the drums. I don't think they complement or are well integrated with the keyboards. It sounds to me like you are flipping through patterns on an old hardware drum machine and occasionally applying some effects. I think I've heard some of these patterns on 80s hip hop records.

There is nothing wrong with adding drums but I think they could be much better integrated. It sounds like the keyboards are in this magnificent cathedral-like space and there is a boombox sitting next to me with cliche drum patterns and loud clattering hi-hats ruining the calm.

I would suggest working on drums ITB with a good drum synth. Setup a slower, less busy pattern and create subtle variations with effects. Audio Damage has some nice effects that you could try. The key is to get all parts, keyboards and drums, to sound like they are part of the same piece and in the same space.

Sorry if that was a bit harsh. It was intended to be constructive.

Thanks for your suggestions Frantz. What can I say Frantz...I'm just starting out with a drum synth. In real life, I have never played the drums. Hopefully I'll get better at coordinating, having things more seamless. There is quite a learning curve doing it all in real time with no overdubs, changing the beats and doing some variation at the same time as playing the other keys. Need to organize things more with a playlist for each drum pattern and the variations, but I suspect it might be a bit stagger stagger fall fall for a bit.
And yes, wondered at the time whether the beats didn't need less parallel compression, or another reverb send to get then geling more in the distance rather than right up front. One of the Diva lines is a bit thin and in the distance I notice on replay, and needs to have more presence and be a bit closer in, or layered with another synth.

And thanks seismic and ecamburn, pleased you think it has a live jammin feel to it.

And thanks polyslax again, and allomerus for checking this out.

fateamenabletochange wrote:There is quite a learning curve doing it all in real time with no overdubs, changing the beats and doing some variation at the same time as playing the other keys.
:shock: Yikes. It sounds like you're doing a plate spinning act. I don't understand the compulsion to do it all live. On the internet, no one knows if you're playing live (or wearing pants). :)

You could improve things a lot by creating one or two patterns appropriate for the song, find a better effects chain, and do less flipping between patterns.

For me its not a compulsion doing it this way.
I like it , the feel, hands where they are, the shapes they make on the keys and how that is evolving, the kind of excitement of the moment not truly knowing what is next, when things are going well the interplay between elements that is a challenge, on the edge of the next note, the spontaneity, no sneeze is the same, delicious. Hard to explain. I find it relaxing. Being new to drums, was probably trying too hard, yes will definitely try to make things simpler, which then runs the risk of being monotonous, so it may take a while to find some balance.
Thanks again.

fateamenabletochange wrote: I like it , the feel, hands where they are, the shapes they make on the keys and how that is evolving, the kind of excitement of the moment not truly knowing what is next, when things are going well the interplay between elements that is a challenge, on the edge of the next note, the spontaneity, no sneeze is the same, delicious. Hard to explain. I find it relaxing. Being new to drums, was probably trying too hard, yes will definitely try to make things simpler, which then runs the risk of being monotonous, so it may take a while to find some balance.

This sounds stressful to me. I guess we are wired differently.

It should be interesting to see how you do the drums in future pieces. Something to look forward to...

Return to “Music Cafe”