Drown - ElectroProg (Seismic Comfort Zone)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Originally from September 2010, this took 11 hours to record. The June 2013 remix took 12 hours. It would have been less but I lost Kore Player when my previous computer died and the central sound used on the original had to be replaced. I decided to revisit and expand upon the Chinese textures first explored on Felonious Monk. I used a little reverb on here too.

Updated 20210821: mp3 link removed

in an anaesthetically induced Cloud-like state at 320Kbps

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/drown

EDIT: 20130707 - slight re-levelling of the lead and bass synths and arp - remastered

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.3/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7beta/Mastered in T-Racks3

Emu Proteus VX
Mini_DIZI
Mini_ErHu
ChineeGuZheng_Classic
Redtron_MKV
GenesisCM1.02
AlphaCM
CM SR202
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
AM KickLab XXL
Crystal
Rapture
Valhalla Shimmer
IK CSR Plate Reverb
EnergyXT Delay
FerricTDS
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 11

EDIT:20210821 - Remixed in 2021 - A cosmetic update of the 2013 remix, with minor EQ, panning, and levelling changes. I replaced FerricTDS with Satin on the master bus and mastered in T-Racks5, ready for album release in 2021/2022.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/drow ... ks5-master

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.3/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7/Mastered in T-Racks 5

Emu Proteus VX
Mini_DIZI
Mini_ErHu
ChineeGuZheng_Classic
Redtron_MKV
GenesisCM1.02
AlphaCM
CM SR202
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
AM KickLab XXL
Crystal
Rapture
Valhalla Shimmer
IK CSR Plate Reverb
EnergyXT Delay
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 11
Last edited by seismic1 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wow. thats just pretty terrific

lushes sounds
i felt myself surounded by beautiful mountains and pretty trees
with dew glistening on fresh leafs

what a dream
thank you for the music

Great track, Tim!
TD meets Eno, remixed by seismic1!

Lovely introspective intro. Those fading bass drones really put me in mind of Gabriel. Awesome transitions in and out of the beat parts, great synth lines... like that busy one a lot, and the high lead. Nice work Tim! 8)
Image Image

Emerald Tablet wrote:wow. thats just pretty terrific

lushes sounds
i felt myself surounded by beautiful mountains and pretty trees
with dew glistening on fresh leafs

what a dream
thank you for the music
Thanks for the listen and the lovely comments, Remmie. Glad you liked it :)

It's great how different folks can conjure different imagery from these pieces.

Mine was far more sinister :wink:

abstractcats wrote:Great track, Tim!
TD meets Eno, remixed by seismic1!

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Scott. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I'm currently working on the remix of "Tom Re-Armed" :wink:

lovely tune Tim. this has a great clear expansive mix and some excellent sounds :tu:

neil.

polyslax wrote:Lovely introspective intro. Those fading bass drones really put me in mind of Gabriel. Awesome transitions in and out of the beat parts, great synth lines... like that busy one a lot, and the high lead. Nice work Tim! 8)
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Matt. Glad you liked it :)

I made the intro to the original track with Kore Player, but I lost that when my hard disk died 20 months ago. I managed to achieve a better sound using a Flute patch in Proteus and combining it with the Chinese instruments and Valhalla Shimmer. GenesisCM and Crystal are the other two synths that you mentioned.

It's really good - nice and varied, and great sounds and mix.

D.

The beginning is simply beautiful. :love: The sort of thing Vangelis might do. Delicate wistful melody floating in reverb in a carefully manicured Japanese garden.

Just when things might be getting a little too placid, suddenly the engine starts and we're landcruising. We're driving in a high performance vehicle with the terrain flying by so fast it barely has time to register. (This is the first time I got driving imagery from your music.)

All the parts are excellent. Love the bassline. The length is perfect. The piece flies by without a dull moment.

I've listened to this a bunch of times on speakers and earphones. My only suggestion would be a slight adjustment to the mix. I would turn up the bass and bring down both the arp and lead a tiny bit. I am talking about very minor changes to all three.

Overall great track. This is labeled track 10 of "Hand." This will be a very strong album. How many more tracks are left?

After the initial oriental mysticism it launches into something a lot more germanic . Reminds me of an 80s track by , I think , corey hart called " I wear my sunglasses at night ". That might not be the title but those are the words he sings ( on a sidenote , it always amuses me when people refer to Crowded houses first track "dont dream its over " as " hey now hey now " )

It also reminds me very much of depeche modes " Tora! Tora! Tora! " which is as quintessentially 80s as you could get , and an era of music that I will always always love. Nice track mister =)

2NDMOUSE wrote:Reminds me of an 80s track by , I think , corey hart called " I wear my sunglasses at night ".
Really? I don't hear it.

macmurphy wrote:lovely tune Tim. this has a great clear expansive mix and some excellent sounds :tu:

neil.
Thanks very much for checking this out, Neil. Glad you liked it :) I was a little concerned that those reverbs were going to clog the mix up, but I think it survived the onslaught.

I hear a recurring theme in your music, it starts out there, begins to arrive, it appears around us with striking synth work and then travels off into orbit. very well executed to get the arrangement across and the mix is speaker friendly. I enjoyed the voyage and it makes me want to visit this style again. time away from it and hearing pieces like this has me thinking I could offer something again.

i love how this moves from the ambient oriental soundscape to a driving ryhthmic piece of retro sounding synth goodness ;) ... great work !

Return to “Music Cafe”