Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
trance_lucent
KVRist

403 posts since 27 Sep, 2005

Postby trance_lucent; Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:41 pm ZebraTouch for TouchOSC

As my midi-keyboard doesn't have any controllers, even modwheel and pitchbend let alone aftertouch, expression and breath, I decided to design a layout for Touchosc. The goal was to test and play all these new soundsets for Zebra, and aforementioned controls became a standart for Zebra patches.

I want to share this layout. I hope it will be useful for someone.

Right now it has aforementioned controls and XYs, this is enough for control the most patches.

Again, it's not for patches designing, it's for control.

The layout is far from being the ideal and finished. There is the massive blank space in the upper right area. I am pondering to add some less important controls, such as filters cutoffs, ModMixers consts (as I often use it as shared mouse-controlled macro in my patches) and may be others.

Here is the layout and my com.u-he.Zebra2.midiassign.txt file (sorry Windows users, I don't know the Windows name):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57065234/ZebraTouch/zebratouch.zip

If you don't want to owerwrite the midiassign file, you can manually add these strings to it in text editor:

Code: Select all
1:16=PCore:Y_1, normal, 0, Continuous7bit, No //Core:Y1
1:17=PCore:X_1, normal, 0, Continuous7bit, No //Core:X1
1:18=PCore:Y_2, normal, 0, Continuous7bit, No //Core:Y2
1:19=PCore:X_2, normal, 0, Continuous7bit, No //Core:X2
1:20=PCore:Y_3, normal, 0, Continuous7bit, No //Core:Y3
1:21=PCore:X_3, normal, 0, Continuous7bit, No //Core:X3
1:22=PCore:Y_4, normal, 0, Continuous7bit, No //Core:Y4
1:23=PCore:X_4, normal, 0, Continuous7bit, No //Core:X4

Feel free to modify this layout if you want. Please share the results.
bftucker
KVRian

1075 posts since 30 Apr, 2004, from Louisville, KY

Postby bftucker; Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:21 pm

You haven't had much response. I have done much the same on Touch OSC...nothing very complicated. Anyway, I thought this Midi Touch video was interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdRA_jqAO58

I don't own Midi Touch but, according to recent reviews, it "appears that the developer has screwed up a once powerful app and has now abandoned it."

If anyone would develop an attractive iPad app to control U-He synths, I think it would be worth buying!
raikard233
KVRian

744 posts since 14 Apr, 2004, from Rome

Postby raikard233; Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:38 am

bftucker wrote:I don't own Midi Touch but, according to recent reviews, it "appears that the developer has screwed up a once powerful app and has now abandoned it."

Opposite:

http://hexler.net/blog/post/touchosc-1. ... -out-today
TomTwohy
KVRist

181 posts since 12 Nov, 2012, from Northern California

Postby TomTwohy; Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Hmmm, I tried TouchOSC a few weeks ago, but couldn't get it to work with my iPhone and my Mac/Ableton set up... much less Zebra. (Basic set-up eludes me).

The documentation is confusing... and I've worked with Quneo and Maschine Mikro to control Ableton, even found a wirless pitch-bend app (made it work too)... so IN THEORY... I should be able to get this going, but even with "Bridge"... nada chingasa.

I'd LOVE to try this with Zebra and my iPhone/ableton... (hell, I'd buy an iPad mini if it worked with my iPhone/Setup) anyone done this... lately?

:wink:
Retired, Bored and ready to WRECK the JOINT... gonna drop some OLD-STEP, ya'll!!
trance_lucent
KVRist

Postby trance_lucent; Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:18 am

TomTwohy wrote:Hmmm, I tried TouchOSC a few weeks ago, but couldn't get it to work with my iPhone and my Mac/Ableton set up... much less Zebra. (Basic set-up eludes me).
The documentation is confusing... and I've worked with Quneo and Maschine Mikro to control Ableton, even found a wirless pitch-bend app (made it work too)... so IN THEORY... I should be able to get this going, but even with "Bridge"... nada chingasa.
I'd LOVE to try this with Zebra and my iPhone/ableton... (hell, I'd buy an iPad mini if it worked with my iPhone/Setup) anyone done this... lately?
:wink:

Just in case if you don't know: you don't need additional osc2midi application (like in Windows case) if your host supports CoreMidi. Just enable it in TouchOsc and start iPad listening in the Audio MIDI Setup application.
lostnthesound
KVRer

14 posts since 16 May, 2004, from Washington DC

Postby lostnthesound; Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:22 am

Great work! This is actually something I've been looking for as my Novation's XY Pad is a bit...moody. :-) Thanks for sharing!
medienhexer
KVRian

676 posts since 16 May, 2007, from At home. Good bye city ways!

Postby medienhexer; Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Okay... I have Logic X and OSC in general set up correctly - Logic is easily controlled by the Logic template.

Now I copied the midiassign.txt into User/Library/App Support/u-he.

Doesn't control the XYs. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
..off to play with my music toys - personal music endeavors, as well as library music production.
http://www.medienhexer.de
trance_lucent
KVRist

Postby trance_lucent; Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:06 pm

medienhexer wrote:Okay... I have Logic X and OSC in general set up correctly - Logic is easily controlled by the Logic template.
Now I copied the midiassign.txt into User/Library/App Support/u-he.
Doesn't control the XYs. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You've done it right. com.u-he.Zebra2.midiassign.txt have to be copied into User's ~/Library/Application Support/u-he.
Was there this file already (there should be prompt to rewrite)?

Just for debugging you can to try to assign any other midi controller in Zebra (for example, insert Fader in Logic's Environment, assign it to any CC and route to Zebra) to see if its info writes correctly in midiassign.txt.

I would also recommend you to reassign XYs manually in Zebra, but TouchOsc always sends both X and Y controllers even if you just change one of these in XY, so there is a problem.

But you can assign it with environment cc fader in logic. ZebraTouch use the next CC for XYs:
CC16 for Y coordinate of XY1;
CC17 for X coordinate of XY1;
CC18 for Y coordinate of XY2;
CC19 for X coordinate of XY2;
CC20 for Y coordinate of XY3;
CC21 for X coordinate of XY3;
CC22 for Y coordinate of XY4;
CC23 for X coordinate of XY4;
medienhexer
KVRian

676 posts since 16 May, 2007, from At home. Good bye city ways!

Postby medienhexer; Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks, I'll have to try again. I think i noticed logic overwrite the file once but after replacing again, i was kind of sure it had stuck..
..off to play with my music toys - personal music endeavors, as well as library music production.
http://www.medienhexer.de

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he